Needs a New Bat....?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 29, 2012
32" is generaly fine for a girl 5'5". She may be able to move up to a 33" but shouldn't really have a need to.

If she is a power hitter though look at having her try a 32/23 rocketech.

Dec 28, 2011
Maybe try having her try swinging teammates' bats at practice to get a feel for different bats/sizes? My DD was also advised to get a bigger bat (she is 5'6, 120#, and swings an Easton 32-22) DH spent $200 on a used 33-23 bat (don't remember the brand, but not Easton) She uses it occasionally, but really prefers her old bat. Some brands feel differently and most girls have a preference. I would advise not to spend the $ on a bigger bat until she tries it out! Good luck!

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I would also say to a Sporting Goods store and actually swing the bat. Usually stay away from major ones they typically don't let you swing and hit balls with the bats. Find one that she likes.

Apr 1, 2010
DD just moved up to 16U, is 5'5, 130 lbs. and needs a big girl bat. I KNOW THIS QUESTION IS constantly answered on this forum... but could not find advice for my DD's age or size. Specifically, she has fast hands and is very strong. She is always third or fourth in the lineup, she rarely strikes out. "She does her job." She is working with a batting coach.....(favorite pitch is low and outside) to make her a more solid and consistent hitter. Just looking for some advice...She almost always hits,, just not consistently hitting that sweet spot. She needs a new bat. She is currently swinging a Demarini 2013 32/22 - it's been suggested that it is to small. Geeze, I'm clueless. Would love LOVE some suggestions.

If her favorite pitch is low and outside and she's not consistently hitting the sweet spot, I'd guess that going up an inch to a 33" will help her. The extra plate coverage should make it easier for her to get the sweet spot to that low and outside ball. 33" in length isn't too long for a girl who's 5'5". Drop 10 or drop 9--I'd tend to recommend drop 9 for a girl who's "very strong," but going up an inch in length AND two ounces at the same time might be a lot for her to handle. My main recommendation is to talk with the batting coach who's working with her. He/she should have the best notion on what she can handle.

My DD is 5'4" and recently switched from a 32/22 to a 33/24. She's doing ok, but it's a big jump.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
Just a suggestion - stepping up to 16U can sometimes be a BIG uptick in pitching. (It was the biggest bracket change I saw in the caliber of pitching)

What yer DD might have found easy to wield in 14U she might have more challenge in 16U. I would suggest letting some time go by in 16U before you move up to a bigger bat,... especially with the expense that they are.

Plus too - yer DD might have a chance to see/use the bats on the rest of the team and that might sway her opinion on which bat too.

Jul 2, 2013
Correct me if wrong, but the majority of power hitters in high school and college use 33" ... drop (fill in blank).

Go to 33" as soon as possible. Start with drop 10, with the goal of going to drop 9. We started at 33" drop 10 in 12U. Tried a 34" drop 10, but learned the extra length did not do anything for her. Now play 33" drop 9 Xeno 2012.

5'8" ... 150 lbs. When struck clean, goes deep every time. 32" is too short in high school, good pitchers will eat you up low and outside. Make this pitch your bread and butter deep ball (opposite field), and force the pitchers to locate differently.

Last edited:
May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
Correct me if wrong, but the majority of power hitters in high school and college use 33" ... drop (fill in blank).

Go to 33" as soon as possible. Start with drop 10, with the goal of going to drop 9. We started at 33" drop 10 in 12U. Tried a 34" drop 10, but learned the extra length did not do anything for her. Now play 33" drop 9 Xeno 2012.

5'8" ... 150 lbs. When struck clean, goes deep every time. 32" is too short in high school, good pitchers will eat you up low and outside. Make this pitch your bread and butter deep ball (opposite field), and force the pitchers to locate differently.

The bat size is tied into a player's height and weight rather than level of play. I suppose you could make a separate point about higher level players often being taller if you chose. At 5'8" your DD is plenty tall enough to use the 33" without an issue. For her, using a 32" bat would make a low and away pitch more challenging. For someone who is shorter, increasing the length of the bat (lever) may make it harder to use without choking up (changing the fulcrum / pivot point and effort). If the shorter player is using an appropriate length bat and struggles low and away she needs to work on her approach or mechanics, or whichever phrase you want.

My understanding of science is weak. Google helps :). Searching levers and third class levers helped me a little.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd