Needs a New Bat....?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2013
DD just moved up to 16U, is 5'5, 130 lbs. and needs a big girl bat. I KNOW THIS QUESTION IS constantly answered on this forum... but could not find advice for my DD's age or size. Specifically, she has fast hands and is very strong. She is always third or fourth in the lineup, she rarely strikes out. "She does her job." She is working with a batting coach.....(favorite pitch is low and outside) to make her a more solid and consistent hitter. Just looking for some advice...She almost always hits,, just not consistently hitting that sweet spot. She needs a new bat. She is currently swinging a Demarini 2013 32/22 - it's been suggested that it is to small. Geeze, I'm clueless. Would love LOVE some suggestions.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
32/22 doesn't sound that far off... May try a 33 with a -9.. That will give her an inch and 2 more ounces. Unfortunately I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. Just have to try several bats and see what works best before you drop the cash. Good luck.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My dd sounds similar to your dd. She goes back and forth between 33/23 and 33/24 bat. However, the right bat for your dd, is the bat she is most comfortable and confident with.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It would help, if you gave us a price range. The bat she is using is not too small. If she is hitting well, now is not the time to change. I use that size bat and I am 5'9". Could I be using a larger bat? Sure. But I am old enough to be her grandmother, and that has me using a shorter bat.

Did the hitting coach say she needs a bat?

So, her choices are to decide between a composite bat that is evenly weighted or an end loaded bat that swings heavier. Are you willing to spend $350? Good luck. if the people giving you advice, are just other parents, smile and nod and say "Maybe for Christmas."

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Thing about de marini (if its a cf5 or 6), a 32/22 feels to me like swinging a 32/20 easton.

My dd switched out her 32/22 cf6 for a 33/24 cf6 insane and really likes the feel. Her 33/23 easton synergy still feels heavier than the 24 oz cf6.
So my opinion is a 32/22 probably isn't too bad a size in most brands.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am guessing that on some bats she will need to figure out swing weight and not just go by the weight on the bat. So, a person really needs to swing one before buying.

Oct 7, 2009
Seems the like the batting coach (who has a chance to see her swing live) might be a better resource for suggestions, and he might have some bats that he can let her swing to give her and idea.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
DD just moved up to 16U, is 5'5, 130 lbs. and needs a big girl bat. I KNOW THIS QUESTION IS constantly answered on this forum... but could not find advice for my DD's age or size. Specifically, she has fast hands and is very strong. She is always third or fourth in the lineup, she rarely strikes out. "She does her job." She is working with a batting coach.....(favorite pitch is low and outside) to make her a more solid and consistent hitter. Just looking for some advice...She almost always hits,, just not consistently hitting that sweet spot. She needs a new bat. She is currently swinging a Demarini 2013 32/22 - it's been suggested that it is to small. Geeze, I'm clueless. Would love LOVE some suggestions.

The bat she has is fine. If you did an internet search for bat sizing or bat size charts you would see the one you have is fine. This is especially so if she has success.

From experience Demarini CF series bats feel lighter than Easton bats of the same length and weight. My DD is similar height and weight. Right on the border of being able to swing a 33" bat. She can swing a 33" Demarini comfortably but not an Easton 33" bat. Also, Easton one piece bats feel heavier swinging than their two piece bats.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
At her height, 32" long sounds good. But at 130+lbs she's probably hitting pretty hard. I'd suggest going to a -9 one piece composite. Something like a 454 for example.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors