Need the Blues opinion on a pitching thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
This is a new one for me... but as a pitching coach, I teach an earlier release will force the fingers to peel more as an adjustment to keep the ball from going into the dirt. As fas as a 7:00 release, that might be stretching it... its probably closer to 6:00 or 6:30 where a fb will be more like 5:00 or 5:30. Where in the current ASA rule book is this issue covered?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
This is a new one for me... but as a pitching coach, I teach an earlier release will force the fingers to peel more as an adjustment to keep the ball from going into the dirt. As fas as a 7:00 release, that might be stretching it... its probably closer to 6:00 or 6:30 where a fb will be more like 5:00 or 5:30. Where in the current ASA rule book is this issue covered?

See post #9

Feb 20, 2012
pdx
sat with a local asa official watching a game when illegal pitching came up. he said they don't like to call it unless its blatant, because anyone throwing with IR is illegal. you can not deliver the ball without the wrist outside the elbow which is illegal

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
sat with a local asa official watching a game when illegal pitching came up. he said they don't like to call it unless its blatant, because anyone throwing with IR is illegal. you can not deliver the ball without the wrist outside the elbow which is illegal

Really? Than how had anyone possibly pitched a ball since the 30's (earliest I can document a form of the rule) that has been the rule. I think what was meant is that in today's game, no one can throw that way. IOW, the players have ignored the rules to throw differently to be capable of getting more speed and spin.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1