Need of advice with parent problem

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
In all the years I have coached, I had never had a problem like this. I have a pair of sisters on my team. They are good kids, the older one is a better player then her sister but they always try their hardest. I have no issue with them. Their mother is another story. She has a back injury and is on pain killer and has very strange behavior. She has ask for help getting them to games and practice and we have tried to help. Her husband is away on business most of the time. She is very demanding on where the girls play and insist on them playing the infield. the older girl is fairly good at first, not the best player at the position. The other is ball shy in the field. Now we are talking 12u rec ball, when we have a good lead we rotate the girls in, including the younger sister. Despite this, the mom is not happy. My assistant coach handles position assignment every inning, I handle the offense and pitchers. the mom has texted me several rants about not getting stuck in the outfield and we tried our best to accommodate her. Still she is not happy and she has complained to the league president who advised me to handle it.
The other day, we played out first playoff game. The mom told some of the parents that is here younger daughter doesn't play the infield, she would pull them out and leave. Both girls were playing well and the older hit a double. I made the mistake of giving her a"way to go" in front of her mom who started on the playing the infield. My AC was told by her the I will pull them and go home rant and he called her bluff. She took the girls and went home. I had never been threaten by a parent like that before.We finish the game and won.
That night at the board meeting is was attacked verbally. These parent do help outwith things, but we all do, some more then others. I am one of the more people. Fortunately my coach keeps records of who has played where all season. But I am called out to prove My position? What am I suppose to do? I feel I am right, I am not going to give in to take my ball and go home mentality. I feel she embarrassed her girls and herself with her behavior.

For our rec league we have a must play rule two innings in the field and one at bat. If your league has this and you have met this requirement don't fear anything. Usually the league will always let the kids stay in the league, if they want to come back since it is about the girls but mom does not get to make the line up, if she is insistent let her leave but do not under any circumstance give in...if the president and board won't back you simply tell them you will resign as coach, there is no reason for a parent to "run" the league.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
For our rec league we have a must play rule two innings in the field and one at bat. If your league has this and you have met this requirement don't fear anything. Usually the league will always let the kids stay in the league, if they want to come back since it is about the girls but mom does not get to make the line up, if she is insistent let her leave but do not under any circumstance give in...if the president and board won't back you simply tell them you will resign as coach, there is no reason for a parent to "run" the league.
^^^
This is good advice. The simple fact that she pulled her kids mid game should be enough for the board to dismiss her complaint. Don't budge, don't justify. Just tell them that any of them are welcome to observe practice or games but you have enough to worry about just trying to be the best coach you can be and you are not going to waste energy on this b I mean c I mean parent.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Good job with her so far... keep In mind that your in charge here. If they play for you, then they'll play where ever the team needs them, period! As to the pill popping mom, I'd suggest providing transportation for the sisters as much as possible so that "mom can rest and heal up"
The more shes not around, the better!

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
We have minimum playing time requirements also. However, most of the game have been played with 10 or less players since I have some girls that play travel ball, vacations and etc. This game we had 10. Since we play with 4 outfielders, no one sat. We finished the game with the minimum in our rule, 8.

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
What was the position of the board? On what grounds are you being attacked verbally by board members?
The league president and I had discussions about this situation before and we have tried to accommodate her. However, she keeps texting myself and the president. I honesty feel sorry for her and sad for the girls. Her husband supplies an activity for our picnic through his work. Seems she is holding this hostage too.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Coach Al,

Every girl deserves the ability to play, however you just can't overcome the parents sometimes. The remaining 8 girls on your team and the rest of the girls in the league deserve to play in an environment free of people like this Mom. As a league you need to let them go. Sad resolution, but you can't let one parent be the cancer to a team or league. Tell her that these are the rules and she can either play by them or take her daughters elsewhere.

The league will survive the picnic situation. Someone who donates to a league does it free and clear without conditions.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
The league president and I had discussions about this situation before and we have tried to accommodate her. However, she keeps texting myself and the president. I honesty feel sorry for her and sad for the girls. Her husband supplies an activity for our picnic through his work. Seems she is holding this hostage too.

Thanks, Al, but I'm still not clear on what the board's position is. Do they think the girl should've played infield? If so, why? What is it that you did wrong, in their opinion?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse