Need Advice for a 10U Player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 27, 2012
Western Kentucky
I would like advice on what to do with my 10U DD. She played 8U Machine Pitch last year. When the season finished, she was suppose to move up to an established 10U team along with some of the other girls from her 8U team. The team had issues so we formed our own 10U team with the families moving up. My husband became head coach. Basically, we formed an all star team of players. It was not a good experience.

As the season ends we have decided to become more competitive. We are forming a new team. The girls from our current team who are not moving up to 12U have to try out. We have a new name...will have new coaches. My husband will remain HC, though a couple of "seasoned" coaches will join us.

The reason for the new team is because our DD is competitive and passionate about the sport. She is a stand out player according to other coaches and umpires. She has played every position but outfield during tournaments since she began tb. Her sprint from home to first is about 3.3. She is softball smart. Her batting is good, she has a nice rotational swing for a 10 yo. She wants to play with other girls who have a passion for softball. She loves watching softball...admires players like Valerie Arioto.

Since my husband began coaching last year, he is not considered a "seasoned" coach. I think he has trained our DD very well this past year. Would you show up with your DD to a tryout? What would you look for in a tryout that would give you confidence in a new coach/team? I am concerned that our metropolitan area is not big enough to attract other passionate families to our organization considering there are established teams. Though there are very few A teams in our area.

We plan to hold tryouts the first two weekends of August. If we do not get enough committed players after the first few weeks of August, would you start looking to have your DD try out for more competitive, established teams in the area? The reason we are forming a new team is because we want to play with other team players and not a team where the coaches' and their friends' daughters are playing positions when the girls really don't have the talent.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If there are established Teams in the area, DD would try out for them 1st and if she did not make it she would try-out for your Team. I do not think there is anything you can do to change that.

Trying to establish a Team for your DD, if there are other Teams around, seems like it might be a bad idea. How do I know my DD's experence will be better with your Team? HC has a DD on the Team too.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
If your DD is a standout player that belongs on an A team I would have her try out for the established A teams in your area and see what shakes out.

I don't know the situation in your area but in general there are a lot of teams out there at various levels. You said your first all-star team was "not a good experience". Are you sure this new team will be any different? If you have a bunch of A level girls and there are not enough spots on the established teams for them than that might be a good reason to form a new team.

Jan 25, 2011
I would forget starting your own team and tryout for other teams, being that your husband is new to coaching.Go sit in the stands or lawn chair and "cheer the team on".If you all ready had problems, then I don't see it changing.I don't know you and your dd, but in your post you really bragged up your dd, I know we all can do that sometimes, but just the way you said it, would throw up red flags all over if I was a parent looking for a team for my dd.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I would like advice on what to do with my 10U DD. She played 8U Machine Pitch last year. When the season finished, she was suppose to move up to an established 10U team along with some of the other girls from her 8U team. The team had issues so we formed our own 10U team with the families moving up. My husband became head coach. Basically, we formed an all star team of players. It was not a good experience.

As the season ends we have decided to become more competitive. We are forming a new team. The girls from our current team who are not moving up to 12U have to try out. We have a new name...will have new coaches. My husband will remain HC, though a couple of "seasoned" coaches will join us.

The reason for the new team is because our DD is competitive and passionate about the sport. She is a stand out player according to other coaches and umpires. She has played every position but outfield during tournaments since she began tb. Her sprint from home to first is about 3.3. She is softball smart. Her batting is good, she has a nice rotational swing for a 10 yo. She wants to play with other girls who have a passion for softball. She loves watching softball...admires players like Valerie Arioto.

Since my husband began coaching last year, he is not considered a "seasoned" coach. I think he has trained our DD very well this past year. Would you show up with your DD to a tryout? What would you look for in a tryout that would give you confidence in a new coach/team? I am concerned that our metropolitan area is not big enough to attract other passionate families to our organization considering there are established teams. Though there are very few A teams in our area.

We plan to hold tryouts the first two weekends of August. If we do not get enough committed players after the first few weeks of August, would you start looking to have your DD try out for more competitive, established teams in the area? The reason we are forming a new team is because we want to play with other team players and not a team where the coaches' and their friends' daughters are playing positions when the girls really don't have the talent.

I would reread the bolded sections above and think hard about whether you are forming a team for the right reasons? It sounds like you are forming these teams just for your daughter, so she has a platform to showcase her softball talents. At 10U, the goal of the team should be to develop the softball skills of all of the players on the team and for the girls to love the game of softball so they want to continue to play as long as they have a desire to.

IMO, I would not want my daughter playing for a HC who created a team just for his daughter; who is the least experienced coach on the team; and who's previous team dissolved after one season. Lots of red flags here..

As others have suggested, have her tryout for another, more established team where your daughter is not the best player on the team and has to really compete for her position and not live under the shadow of her dad being the HC. Otherwise, I fear this new team you want to form will end up with the same fate as last year's team. Good luck and remember youth sports should be all about the kids, not the parents.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
There are a bunch of ...just 10u players @ Myrtle Beach NSA Nationals that are really learning to love the game today. Go for it!!!! The Coach we know is there with his 14U DD. This is the last year he gets to coach her, as she will be moving up to the corp. level of the org. He was able to talk them into carrying a 10U team. They never have. He contacted us last Nov. about DD playing on this new team. Last Tweet Today was they made the finals !!!

Go for it... it might be the only shot she will get. SHOWCASE HER!!!!! HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE NEXT YEAR!!!! If you ain't planning on being there, coaching, then see to it that DD goes to every tryout she can with teams that have it in their plans. Get off here and find the the closest team to you that is there TODAY...and tryout, even if you are going to start your own team!!! You could get an invite to be the ringer for another team too , but not if they don't ever see her !!!

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2012
Western Kentucky
Trying to establish a Team for your DD, if there are other Teams around, seems like it might be a bad idea.

We live about an hour or more from established teams that we would want our daughter to have a chance to play for. We are trying to avoid long drives to practices. And, we believe there are others in our remote area who are looking to play more competitively but would like to avoid the drive...some would have longer drives to practices.

You said your first all-star team was "not a good experience".

It wasn't a good experience at all. I think the parent of our pitcher who was going to help my husband coach was too insecure to assist him. He and his daughter left us a month before we were planning to play our first tournament for another team within our organization. After they left so did 3 other players that we spent the winter coaching. It was a lack of confidence in my husband's ability to coach by himself at this point, and a belief that the pitcher was the only player who would make us competitive.

We had the uniforms and the money from fundraising to play the tournaments. So, we scrammbled to find additional players from the rec league, and a few parents that we knew whose daughters played on other teams offered to let their daughters play with us when they weren't playing in other tournaments with their team. For which we are very grateful. These girls helped us place 3rd in 3 of the 4 tournaments we have played. There were 8 teams in 2 and 12 teams in another tournament. So, we didn't do too badly.

I don't know you and your dd, but in your post you really bragged up your dd, I know we all can do that sometimes, but just the way you said it, would throw up red flags all over if I was a parent looking for a team for my dd.

What kind of red flags? I am curious by this statement. I don't mean to brag, but state facts. Right now...prepubescent...she is a standout player in my area. I think she would enjoy playing on a team where she didn't stand out... I don't know what will happen to her game once she goes through puberty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 27, 2012
Western Kentucky
IMO, I would not want my daughter playing for a HC who created a team just for his daughter; who is the least experienced coach on the team; and who's previous team dissolved after one season. Lots of red flags here..

As others have suggested, have her tryout for another, more established team where your daughter is not the best player on the team and has to really compete for her position and not live under the shadow of her dad being the HC. Otherwise, I fear this new team you want to form will end up with the same fate as last year's team. Good luck and remember youth sports should be all about the kids, not the parents.

As I explained above, a big issue for us is distance. We know a couple of other families who live in remote areas who are looking for a team of families with similar passion for the sport.

It is about the girls, not the parents. Thus, we want girls who WANT to play, not playing because the parents want them to play. And, as far as DD is concerned, we would prefer a team where she does not stand out.

Thank you for your suggestions. We will still hold the tryouts. I have confidence in my husband's ability to properly organize and train the girls into athletes because of his background and education. And, having the other coaches who have the experience to help him, I think we could develop a good team.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Would you show up with your DD to a tryout?

Nope. Of course, I'm not a newbie. You are forming a "Daddy-Daughter Team"--one where the HC is the Daddy of the star player. There are probably 60 at each tournament you go to...and the teams are usually a mess. Daddy is either blind to his DD's problems or is too "fair" and doesn't reward his DD. It just doesn't work in the long run.

The reason we are forming a new team is because we want to play with other team players and not a team where the coaches' and their friends' daughters are playing positions when the girls really don't have the talent

If you really want to do your DD a service, go find an "A" level team to play for. Teams like yours come and go like the wind.

In the larger scheme of things, you wont' be saving any time or money. You are going to pour an inordinate amount of time into running a team rather than driving to practice.

Your DD, if she is good, has to play on a good team.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
You are forming a "Daddy-Daughter Team"

I would like to know what other kind there is in Fastpitch 10U. Correct me if I'm wrong in my guess... I say 99.5% of the teams are Daddy Ball. I'm not really happy about that, but thats the way it is. The problem is not Daddy Ball, but the DD's that aren't any good. What I have a problem with is that practice is designed to mask that fact! Then compounded by her elevation to leadership, that is used to surround her self with lesser player's then herself.

How else are we going to continue the growth of this sport, unless somebody starts new teams? She didn't listen to me, I asked her to get off here, and go find the team thats at the nationals THIS WEEKEND. They won't be having early tryouts. If the only team she can find is an hour away, then ...it's time for someone to start something....maybe a revolution I don't mean the winner of the nationals, but a team that placed in the top 25. It was the Minute Men, that beat the british. The Volunteers!

MomtoLou...Don't listen to any of this advice your getting! Don't get offended, and waste this time of the year trying to defend or dilute the gift that has been given to you, with a responsibility to enhance it....on people that will only join in to diminish your dream, and will stay up late to do it. Thats because they aren't dreaming. Now "just go do it" and when you get there "BRING IT" Let me finish this thread for you. Be assured I'm not a newbie either. I will defend this point with my morning mind that is properly oiled, that is correctly rested, with reservoirs of melatonin & Vitamin D. I will have watched the Sun come up as I have contemplated my dreams of the night before, and will be drinking the first of three 32 oz. of pure water out of a glass, as my eyes receive the colors, and rays needed to trigger another daily deposit to my abundance of serotonin. In other words I would be Happy Too. My plans are all laid out for 2013, I have the energy because, and am not delaying a decision. You can rest assured that I am confident that I was prostrate with eyes closed @ 10:00pm and that my liver has purged the toxic influences I acquired form the day before, and that my mind will not be influenced by them. I am hydrated !!!

Thankz for the thankz.... it was like saying sic'em to a bulldog LOL!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes