Mental Help Pitching to Catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2012
I have a pitcher on my team who is very accurate when throwing to her mom. At our team practices and during games when she is throwing to one of the team catchers, she becomes inaccurate and wild with lots of balls in the dirt and high above the catcher resulting in lots of walks and stolen bases including at home. At practice the other night, I had her throw to me so I could see what she was doing. She threw great to me. She had a slight bend at the waist so she focused on staying tall and she threw great. Hardly any balls in the dirt or over my head. Last night at practice, I had her throw to one of the team catchers. Again, she was all over the place. I reminded her about staying tall because she had a significant bend at her waist while throwing to the catcher. She had a difficult time correcting the bend. She complains that the catchers don't catch her pitches. I believe when she is throwing to me or her mom, she trusts us to catch her pitches and throws without guiding the ball resulting in better accuracy. When she throws to the catchers, she does not trust them causing her to guide the ball (hence the waist bend) resulting in inaccuracy and wildness which leads to more balls by the catcher. We actually have a good catcher that is able to catch her but is pushed to her limits with the wild pitches. This seems to be a vicious cycle and mental. Any suggestions? My thought is no more pitching to an adult so that she becomes comfortable with a girl catching her but I don't know how realistic this is given how often pitchers practice outside of team practices. Pitcher is 12 YO.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
I would almost say she becomes more tense with the team catcher because that is when the strikes count. I know what it is like to have catchers who won't put forth the effort, but that never changed my dd's mechanics. What changed her mechanics was her trying to throw strikes instead of throwing the pitch and let the ball do what it is supposed to do.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Two things. First, although you don't mention it, I expect that you are working with your catcher to improve her skills as well. Even if you are, consider getting a copy of the New England Catching Camp's $40 catcher training DVD - its the catcher's bible. Secondly, have your P wear the catcher's gear and catch a pitcher to convince her that the catcher's protective equipment is sufficient to prevent the catcher from getting hurt (too badly) if they don't catch the ball every time!

Good luck.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
What kind of surface do you practice on> Asphalt?? Concrete?? Back lawn??

I have seen pitchers circles that were horrible to pich from. A few were like trying to go up a set of stairs and some were just the opposite.

If the practoce area os nice and smooth and stable, game circle may be just the opposite.

Apr 4, 2012
My thought is no more pitching to an adult so that she becomes comfortable with a girl catching her but I don't know how realistic this is given how often pitchers practice outside of team practices. Pitcher is 12 YO.

That would be my idea as well. When my daughter first started she would throw to me and could go from 3rd to 1st with a line drive right at my head. Put another player on first and the ball goes sky high. It just took time for her to trust another girl and for her to finally except that she is responsible for the throw and the player at the other end is responsible for the catch. Make the best throw you can so the other player has the best chance of catching. If she does great, but if she doesn't and get's hit it's not your fault.

Apr 11, 2012
I would almost say she becomes more tense with the team catcher because that is when the strikes count. I know what it is like to have catchers who won't put forth the effort, but that never changed my dd's mechanics. What changed her mechanics was her trying to throw strikes instead of throwing the pitch and let the ball do what it is supposed to do.

She does look tense. Will work on having her relax and see if that helps. Thanks.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Gotta be honest from what I have seen over the years. There is likely a mechanical problem with the pitcher,not a mental one. Sound pitching mechanics just do not break down that easily. Are the adults catching her making it easy. Are they at 39 or40' when a real catcher will be at maybe 42' behind the plate? Are the parents giving a higher target which is easier to hit?
reminded her about staying tall because she had a significant bend at her waist while throwing to the catcher. She had a difficult time correcting the bend.
If this is the case she likely does not have the feel for proper mechanics.
How does she release the ball? Does she snap the ball hard at the hip at the proper release point and finish with her elbow down and hand up like she is making a muscle or does she release using internal rotation as discussed often on this forum?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
My thought is no more pitching to an adult so that she becomes comfortable with a girl catching her but I don't know how realistic this is given how often pitchers practice outside of team practices. Pitcher is 12 YO.

At least for DD that is unrealistic, probably is for most of the Players on her Team. She would rather have another player catch her then me anyways, she sees enough of me and would rather interact with someone her age. One thing I do if she is working with another catcher is take a walk and let them sort out their differences. At least for us Team practice and games she is doing what she learned not to learn new things. Any complaints she has she needs to deal with or discuss with the Manager.

I worry that the pitcher is whining

I do not have a lot of experience but that concerns me a little bit too. Yesterday a Dad on another Team ranted to me about how good their DD is pitching and how bad their defense is. I guess moving players around only should occur when other players are pitching, best defense possible should be on the field when his DD pitches. It can be frustrating but the pitcher has to deal with it and move on. 1 pitch at a time, 1 batter at a time.

May 17, 2011
Try holding the glove out to the right and then left. Throw some pitches to the adult. Repeat with teammate. Continue 20 pitches each then back to the adult for 10 and then 10 to teammate. Until corrected. Of course mix a few up the middle every few pitches. Just a thought.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kograd