Making cuts after tryouts....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
What is the normal way you have seen?

Most organizations in our area call or send emails after tryouts, informing someone if they have been if they have or have not made the team. I've seen a couple that talk to each person individually at the end, these are when they have a very small amount of players.

One organization in our area gets the girls together and splits out the ones they will keep, and says thank you very much hope to see you next year, to the group they won't keep. All levels, from 18G down to 12U.

The first way is extra work for the coaches. The second way makes it quick and easy (for the coaches), and pretty much assures tryouts get easier over the years as more and more players refuse to come because of the possible embarrassment factor.

What do you normally see in your area?

Aug 19, 2011
Around here, it seems like if they want your daughter, they'll either call or give you the offer letter at the tryout. If they don't, they say "We'll be in touch," and then you never hear from them. Had one coach walk over after tryout and decline in person last year, respected him for that and stayed in touch.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I don't do tryouts, if I did I would handle it this way.

I'd do a one day 3 hour tryout, you should know all you need to in a single day. After I would thank each player and parent for coming and I'll get in touch with them on the results. I'd call the ones I'm keeping personally. The others I'd email again thanking them for the opportunity and I'd also give a brief explanation on what I think they need to work on and invite them, if they choose, to try again next year.

Also in the email I'd offer to help them find a team that better suits their needs, as we have teams from all classes in the area. When you do tryouts, you never want to shut the door on a player. She might not be what you're looking for at 10U, but she may be exactly what you're looking for at 12-14U after a couple years of hard work.

Don't be the a$$hole who can't take a few mins to help someone you're not keeping. It will probably hurt you down the road.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
I don't do tryouts, if I did I would handle it this way.

I'd do a one day 3 hour tryout, you should know all you need to in a single day. After I would thank each player and parent for coming and I'll get in touch with them on the results. I'd call the ones I'm keeping personally. The others I'd email again thanking them for the opportunity and I'd also give a brief explanation on what I think they need to work on and invite them, if they choose, to try again next year.

Also in the email I'd offer to help them find a team that better suits their needs, as we have teams from all classes in the area. When you do tryouts, you never want to shut the door on a player. She might not be what you're looking for at 10U, but she may be exactly what you're looking for at 12-14U after a couple years of hard work.

Don't be the a$$hole who can't take a few mins to help someone you're not keeping. It will probably hurt you down the road.

I wish we had coaches like you. DD was cut again for the 3rd year in a row. I am not trying to be biased, but she's a damned good player defensively; yes, she has issues with hitting (we changed HC in July so things will turn around). I wish that the coaches would at least send me an email explaining their reasons and extend invitation for next years tryouts. Instead, they just tell you that if you get a call by 4 p.m. on Sunday, you made the team. Otherwise, if you don't get a call...then you know they have made their decision.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I wouldn’t tell players why they did not make the Team but I would communicate that they did not, thank them, etc. Attitude comes from the work place.

If asked, I might open up a little bit on reasons.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Part of the process is taking the chance on receiving an answer you don't want to hear. The DD has spent the last week at try-outs. She's moving up from 14U to 16/18. There are less teams at this level, with fewer available slots to fill. Every kid attending 16/18 tryouts can play & is or will be a high school varsity starter this Spring.

There will be a lot of parents & players who will be in the position of re-evaluating softball as a priority in their lives after the try-out season ends, including my us. As there is attrition after the 6 weeks of Fall ball here in the northeast; and injuries occur during high school ball; opportunities exist to catch on with a team during winter training or as the Spring season begins if you don't have success immediately now.

If your kid isn't selected for the team of their dreams, they can either find a new activity or practice like mad over the winter and be the "diamond in the rough" when about every team is looking for players come May.

The above is what I've prepared to say to the DD if she isn't successful.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I am not trying to be biased, but she's a damned good player defensively; yes, she has issues with hitting (we changed HC in July so things will turn around).

That's exactly what you need to be working on. Besides pitching, NOTHING turns my head or stands out like a player crushing the ball.

Not being harsh, just honest. I'll recruit a player with average defensive skills who can bang the ball over a player with good "D" who needs some work on hitting. My experience is I can fine tune defense skills quicker and easier than tuning her bat, mostly because some mom/dad/grandparent/aunt/uncle/boyfriend destroy everything I've tried to fix by shouting batting commands from the backstop or wrong instruction at home. And usually shout the wrong commands to boot.

Hope the new hitting coach helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pfpsoftball1028