Tryouts and players actually getting cut from team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
So how many teams in your area actually have tryouts every year or fall and spring, and cut players if someone better shows up for tryouts. Before I got involved in TB I thought that was just how it was. Every year teams would have tryouts and if you didn’t make the cut you were gone. There is only one team that I know of in my area that would actually cut a girl if someone better showed up. Maybe this happens more with older girls I don’t have much insight to world of TB above 12u.

May 27, 2022
The organization my DD's played in kept everyone and added people only to replace those that left. Except for one coach who would take any latest/greatest player that showed up. Of course, that same coach would expect the organization's director to handle the 'your cut' communication or absorb any cut players into the other teams.

We were not elite, but were competitive in most tournaments we played in (winning the locals and making it a few rounds in regional tournaments). To some extent, if you are the coach, you should be developing your players/teams and, one could argue, that if you cut players, it is the your fault for not making them better.

There are a few cutthroat coaches in the area that would take players mid season and stop playing players that weren't as good as the newbie. (of course, they'd keep the money from those 'cut' girls...). Or, they would bring in some girls from their org's region to win a tournament to qualify...

Jun 20, 2015
we have tryouts every August for the next league year. And most are invited to return if age eligible (18u). Some don't and quit playing or move teams. Very rarely have we had to dismiss a player during seeason.

May 13, 2021
we have tryouts every August for the next league year. And most are invited to return if age eligible (18u). Some don't and quit playing or move teams. Very rarely have we had to dismiss a player during seeason.
So do you cut players to make room for the ones you invite and show up. I'm not not talking about dismissing a player for some reason. I'm talking about cutting a player because a better player showed up at tryouts.

May 20, 2016
Team my DD plays for you have to earn your spot every year. Always a few that get replaced.

May 13, 2023
Coaches have ways of cutting players without actually telling the family their dropping player from the roster.
Example-by cutting playing time.
Which generally results in the players leaving. And the coach saying I never cut players...🙄

Jun 20, 2015
So do you cut players to make room for the ones you invite and show up. I'm not not talking about dismissing a player for some reason. I'm talking about cutting a player because a better player showed up at tryouts.
nope. but that does not mean, you might be moved from SS to 2b if a superstar SS is invited to tryouts. But also our tryouts aren't published, you get invited. Have a current list of 40+ players that have reached out wanting to tryout come August.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414