LL 5'3" Montana pitcher throwing 63....Really?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 9, 2014
The Montana LL girl being discussed is 16 or 17...not 12
Also, there has been a lot of debate not so long ago about the authenticity of ESPN's radars. Seems like they may cook the calibration a bit to draw in more of an audience. ...

Naw come on. Really????? :cool:

Where is this discussion? Link please. As someone who works for ESPN, I can assure you that ESPN would not condone inaccurate data. What is more likely is that the organization who is running the event has the 'inaccurate' radar.

Watch the final 30 seconds of a broadcast to see who is actually producing the show -- "Produced by ____________, in association with ESPN."

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I thought Scarborough was 5' 5", from some information I think I saw on her web site. It could be 5' 7" with cleats. :)

FWIW - “I wasn’t the height of the average pitcher,” she explains. “I stand at about five foot, five inches tall. What helped me have success in my pitching career was the fact I was able to generate energy in my lower half. I was able to use it efficiently to get the most out of my frame and throw in the upper 60’s, sometimes hitting 70 miles per hour.” - See more at: Amanda Scarborough: slow motion mechanics (4/20) | Student Sports Softball

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I tuned in for a little while and saw a girl that was supposedly throwing 67. Yet she was getting hit pretty hard.

The a couple of days later I was watching what was listed as the PGF 18U tournament and the pitchers were throwing around 63 or so. It makes little sense that there would be that sort of discrepancy between the top tournament in the country and a relatively minor one.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I tuned in for a little while and saw a girl that was supposedly throwing 67. Yet she was getting hit pretty hard.

The a couple of days later I was watching what was listed as the PGF 18U tournament and the pitchers were throwing around 63 or so. It makes little sense that there would be that sort of discrepancy between the top tournament in the country and a relatively minor one.

Interesting, but would you admit that your statistical sample is a bit thin? FWIW - The 3 pitchers on my 18U team at ASA Nationals ran the spectrum with working speeds from from 53 - 67mph.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877