Legal or Not - (Realize this has been a hot topic of late in separate threads)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 6, 2019

This seems like a good spot to see what people think about the snip in the youtube link above that was from a HS game earlier this month - legal or not under any rules body (NCAA, NFHS, PGF, USA, etc)

Thanks

100% illegal.
100% will never be called.

I've been trying to come to grips with this reality for years. It's still hard. I try to assume no competence in umpires as to replants, so as to set my expectations very, very low.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Just watched a team USA game yesterday. It is not called on Carda.

It is a style. What happens is they open up the back hip, clear the hips while coiling the front side show the sole. To avoid getting on the front leg, they reset the back foot because of the momentum rearward from coiling rearward. This allows them to keep off the front leg that so many youth pitchers have problems with.

They say things like the pitch doesn’t start until 12 because that is where they reset to throw slingshot. One internet resource suggested you have to push a second time. That is because they are teaching to coil, open the hips sending momentum rearward by coiling too much.

We had a D1 pitcher work with the kids this past summer who resets and teaches all the things that create the reset. Only she also taught things that don’t go with the reset.

The bent back knee, sole of the back foot flat on the ground is a tell tale sign.

You can be an elite pitcher with doing it and not doing it. If you can do it at an elite D1 school and Team USA you can do anywhere.

There is a second style to the coiling the resetters teach. They coil the same way and uncoil in the air, like a 🐈 turning over upright when dropped upside down.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah