Legal or Not - (Realize this has been a hot topic of late in separate threads)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2022
this is EXACTLY why I said they should never have made the leap legal. because of slippery slope arguments like this. if your back foot lands before the front one, that has to be replanting and gaining an advantage - distance from the pitching plate and force.
I cannot slow the video down so could be wrong, but feet land siamotainously. Also back foot never stops forward completely. My view of the video others can disagree.

I just want to point out, by your definition a drag that comes up because of the ground due to a hole then reconnects before the front foot lands before the front it is a crow hop.

May 13, 2021
All they would have had to do is state in the rule that the front foot has to land prior to the back foot landing. Very simple and then you wouldn't have all of this nonsense going on. The people that write these rules either set out to cause controversy or are just ignorant.

Jul 11, 2023
Good luck seeing if a foot hits .0001 seconds before or after the other. So I think you're back to it wouldn't get called because it's not so obvious in real time while trying to focus your eyes at two different depths depending on the number of umpires available.

While assuming no one is ever on base with other things for umpires to worry about also.

May 17, 2012
All they would have had to do is state in the rule that the front foot has to land prior to the back foot landing. Very simple and then you wouldn't have all of this nonsense going on. The people that write these rules either set out to cause controversy or are just ignorant.

I don't want umpires policing pitching, it just doesn't matter. Adjust other aspects of the game if needed to compensate.

This seems like the direction we are headed.

May 13, 2021
I don't want umpires policing pitching, it just doesn't matter. Adjust other aspects of the game if needed to compensate.

This seems like the direction we are headed.
They are the only ones that can police it, they just write the rules in such a manner that is is impossible for them to do so. So are you just for no rules at all, or just not enforcing them? I am for whatever rules these associations want to write. If they say you can take two steps prior to contacting the rubber i am for that just write it a concise easy to understand manner.

Mar 29, 2023
I personally don't even care about it all from the batters standpoint, and I think that's the wrong way to look at it. I'd rather have clear rules so pitchers can master their craft the right way and that they're all playing according to the same rules. I'd even rather they legalize crow hops than have this ambiguity.

Should a pitcher put themselves at a disadvantage to other pitchers by not breaking the rule, even though the umpire won't call it if she does break it? If she shouldn't accept being at a disadvantage, should we teach them to break the rule? If so, that is a horrible example we'd be setting for these kids.

May 13, 2023
✔️ all sorts of other policing that goes on by umpires that are all judgments that fluctuate.

imo the new pitching ruling is an adjustment made toward the other aspects of the game
➡️ they already made
that over-compensated affecting the game AKA batting averages.

Because people are going to keep staring at the pitchers feet
( as if the pitcher's feet is the only factor affecting the game, out of all of the different changes that have been made) I'm going to keep conversation about the relevancy of the rest of the game!

Jul 11, 2023
As a competitor, I want to do everything in my power to create an advantage for myself by playing right up to the legal boundaries. Human nature says we're not perfect and that mistakes will happen. Inevitably one of those mistakes will take you out of the legal boundaries of a rule. Is that cheating or just a mistake in a given moment?

I do chuckle that the people that chose to view this as just another obstacle to overcome are accused of favoring lawlessness. Seems they're just focusing on how to have success rather than how they were wronged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi