Knowing what pitch to throw...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 12, 2015
Here we are quickly approaching our high school season . I'm looking for some insight as to pitch calling and how to make my pitchers and catcher's aware as well to what pitches they should be throwing in certain situations.I will be calling the pitches from the dugout,so my dilemma here is that we don't really get to scout our competition and we only play each team once.So was looking for some help as to what pitches I should be calling without really knowing much about the other hitters and as far as where the batter stands it's sometimes difficult to see where she is standing in the box from our dugout..Any help advice with this would be greatly appreciated!!!!! Thanks!! Eric

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Feb 7, 2013
My 2 cents:

- get to know the strengths and weaknesses of your pitchers. What are their best pitches. Sit on a bucket and catch them. Communicate with them and the catcher(s). They have probably been pitching for several years, what pitches and pitch strategy has worked for them in the past?

- work opposites (e.g. High inside, low and away outside).

- Use the changeup liberally. Most coaches wrongly tell their batters to not swing at changeup unless it's on two strikes! Guess what pitch I'm calling to get ahead in the count?

- a first pitch strike is important to increase your odds at getting the batter out.

- even though you don't have experience with batters, have an assistant coach keep track of the batters last at bat, charting the batters tendencies and weaknesses.

IMO, most head coaches don't spend nearly enough time with this aspect of the game. Good luck.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Know your pitchers and pitch to their strengths. Try to get ahead in the count. Mix things up and do not become overly predictable. Change planes, speeds and locations pitch-to-pitch. When in doubt "down and out"...

Sep 6, 2015
I agree with Rockettech1. The change up is under utilized with less than 2 strikes. Many coaches are predictable, only using the chnpange when their pitcher is ahead in the count. I love to see it called on a first pitch and with a full count. Assuming the pitcher has a good change.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I agree with Rockettech1. The change up is under utilized with less than 2 strikes. Many coaches are predictable, only using the chnpange when their pitcher is ahead in the count. I love to see it called on a first pitch and with a full count. Assuming the pitcher has a good change.

I love throwing a first pitch change up to big corn fed #3 and #4 hitters. And if they swing at it and look bad doing it there is a good chance they will get another one....

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
If you have an experienced catcher/pitcher, let them call. If they're inexperienced, teach them all you know, then let them call. The truth of the matter is that even with detailed scouting reports, most coaches do a really poor and predictable job calling pitches.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I love throwing a first pitch change up to big corn fed #3 and #4 hitters. And if they swing at it and look bad doing it there is a good chance they will get another one....

And if they're sitting on it, you get to start fresh with the next batter!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
And if they're sitting on it, you get to start fresh with the next batter!

A good pitcher will put an 0-1 change up even further down and out, so if a batter hits a home run give her a golf clap. Back-to-back change ups also sets the batter up for an inside fastball...

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Here we are quickly approaching our high school season . I'm looking for some insight as to pitch calling and how to make my pitchers and catcher's aware as well to what pitches they should be throwing in certain situations.I will be calling the pitches from the dugout,so my dilemma here is that we don't really get to scout our competition and we only play each team once.So was looking for some help as to what pitches I should be calling without really knowing much about the other hitters and as far as where the batter stands it's sometimes difficult to see where she is standing in the box from our dugout..Any help advice with this would be greatly appreciated!!!!! Thanks!! Eric

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Going out in a limb here. Since you admit to not knowing. Why not give the pitch calling to the catcher and the pitchers. Give them whatever info you get from here and let them run with it. The catcher has a better idea batter to batter where they are in the box and whether or not they have a certain pitch timed. Plus both girls know which pitches are working that day. Let them call the game. If it's going to be a learning experience let the girls learn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1