Keep your eyes on the ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Interesting that you never answer a ? and deflect it. You always bring up golf on other sites. I know you are active in politics so I guess you enjoy the back and forth with no direct answers! I'm in Portland again next year, so Perhaps I should just stop watch and learn. I admit I'm not an expert, so I attend as many training sessons Like Dr Harrisons to learn what others have for ideas.

SB
When swingbuilder tried to meet teacherman it was a no-show...Birds of a feather

SL

Aug 31, 2010
Tallmadge, Ohio
Interesting that you never answer a ? and deflect it. You always bring up golf on other sites. I know you are active in politics so I guess you enjoy the back and forth with no direct answers! I'm in Portland again next year, so Perhaps I should just stop watch and learn. I admit I'm not an expert, so I attend as many training sessons Like Dr Harrisons to learn what others have for ideas.
That would require actually having students to watch!!!

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Thanks Chris for the offer. I have your phone number and address. I will contact you. I'm always willing to learn. Sorry about the comment about politics I think that was your wife. Someone smarter than me , sent me a bunch of info.

Nike Strobe glasses? Howard Carrier and Bustos have used them. Howard tests many new products because of all of his contacts. I will try to forward his comments when I find them.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
SBF, so now my wife is into politics???

You are still all over the map and guessing. Just a thought ... but dealing with reality can be helpful. No need for such random guessing on your part.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
SBF, that is what the Hanson Principle is all about .... it is about seeking confirmation .... something you still have yet to grasp/accept. It really can be a useful tool.

I know it happens from time to time, but it is sort of silly for people to get ticked off because the Hanson Principle filters out flaws in their teaching. The idea is to learn and improve, not simply remain invested in notions that should be improved upon.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
E Mail From Howard Carrier:

Dan good to hear from you. I have been using the Nike Strobe glasses for about two years. It really helps to anticipate where the ball will be instead of where it is and in the beginning they tend to top the ball. Once they take the glasses off they center up on the ball very quickly and are more focused on seeing the ball.

When Tweeks was here a few years ago he was showing me a two hand softball toss to get the student to try and catch the ball more in front of them instead of letting the ball get so deep as the eyes turn inward or what is termed accommodation or convergence.

Then we toss the balls so they cross to add more focus and concentration in their ability to catch the balls. Great drill and with the glasses it takes it much further.

The glasses have several settings and you can see demonstrations by Googling their web site. One is a basketball player throwing tennis balls against the wall and having to shuffle step to get to the ball and then anticipating the flight of the ball. In other words allowing the brain to work the eye hand coordination and the ability to catch the ball.

For years you have heard using a patch over the dominate eye when practicing hitting. With the glasses you can actually turn off either lenses making it dark like the eye patch.

This allows where the head must be turned when hitting inside or outside pitches and demonstrates you cannot keep the head totally still and depend totally on eye movement only. The kids love the glasses and how it challenges their abilities. I have had a few kids that said it upsets their stomachs and we just do not use them if it happens.

I know the University of Cincinnati had used the glasses for a couple years and had a vision training program for the baseball team using the glasses.

Hope this helps in some way.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
E Mail From Howard Carrier:

Dan good to hear from you. I have been using the Nike Strobe glasses for about two years. It really helps to anticipate where the ball will be instead of where it is and in the beginning they tend to top the ball. Once they take the glasses off they center up on the ball very quickly and are more focused on seeing the ball.

When Tweeks was here a few years ago he was showing me a two hand softball toss to get the student to try and catch the ball more in front of them instead of letting the ball get so deep as the eyes turn inward or what is termed accommodation or convergence.

Then we toss the balls so they cross to add more focus and concentration in their ability to catch the balls. Great drill and with the glasses it takes it much further.

The glasses have several settings and you can see demonstrations by Googling their web site. One is a basketball player throwing tennis balls against the wall and having to shuffle step to get to the ball and then anticipating the flight of the ball. In other words allowing the brain to work the eye hand coordination and the ability to catch the ball.

For years you have heard using a patch over the dominate eye when practicing hitting. With the glasses you can actually turn off either lenses making it dark like the eye patch.

This allows where the head must be turned when hitting inside or outside pitches and demonstrates you cannot keep the head totally still and depend totally on eye movement only. The kids love the glasses and how it challenges their abilities. I have had a few kids that said it upsets their stomachs and we just do not use them if it happens.

I know the University of Cincinnati had used the glasses for a couple years and had a vision training program for the baseball team using the glasses.

Hope this helps in some way.

Howard is a smart interesting man. Not only hitting but all sorts of topics. Really neat spending time with him.
I have had the pleasure many, many times...

Straightleg

Oct 19, 2009
SBF, that is what the Hanson Principle is all about .... it is about seeking confirmation .... something you still have yet to grasp/accept. It really can be a useful tool.

I know it happens from time to time, but it is sort of silly for people to get ticked off because the Hanson Principle filters out flaws in their teaching. The idea is to learn and improve, not simply remain invested in notions that should be improved upon.

That’s your opinion, if you truly believed your system was flawless they you would not spend so much time arguing your point by trying to prove others wrong.

IMO people that truly believe in their method gives detail and not waste their time putting other people’s method down. IMO any hitting system/method should be able to stand on its own merit without the BS.

Most people on the board gives their opinion and let the members decide if it can be useful to them or not.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00