Keep your eyes on the ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 31, 2010
Tallmadge, Ohio
I think what part of this most are missing is that you are giving a cue that isn't possible to do. Should you track the ball? yes but to tell someone to watch it actually happening when it's not possible, I don't think so. So you tell someone to see it and they don't, how does that work for their confidence?watch the ball.jpg
DD is tracking the ball but did she see the bat hit the ball?

Aug 31, 2010
Tallmadge, Ohio
I pulled up three more swing clips of Bustos to confirm ... in none of these swings did she keep her head down.
Hmmm, I've got 7 videos from Olympics thru last year and they all are head down at contact! DD has hit with Crystl numerous times so have personally witnessed her swing, Oh that's right I don't have an AGENDA!!!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Fourts ... I'm glad you don't have an agenda ... mine is basically the spreading of helpful and useful information. PM me the 7 video clips ... I'll confirm and report back. Thanks in advance.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I have an 'AGENDA' to make my DD a better hitter(feels good to get that out).
crystalbustos1.gif

Looks like Bustos head is down at contact to me. Maybe my understanding of 'head down at contact' is incorrect?
I'm sure someone will clear up the confusion.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I have an 'AGENDA' to make my DD a better hitter(feels good to get that out).
crystalbustos1.gif

Looks like Bustos head is down at contact to me. Maybe my understanding of 'head down at contact' is incorrect?
I'm sure someone will clear up the confusion.

Looks like her head is down at contact. Yes she teach's that and does it in her swing.
Howard also teach's this and you will hit it farther.
I hear it off the bat when I give lessons when the head is up or down.

When your beyond learning and think you know it all, then it is time to give it up.

SL

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
FFS, when you can teach what she does and when you can actually hit the way she does you may mention her name.

Until then could you make that with a little more cream please.

“Tracking such a ball as it crosses the plate would require head and eye rotations on excess of 1000 degrees per second: a century of scientific literature says that humans cannot track targets moving faster than 90 degrees per second.”

“At this point, the head position was changing faster than the angular position of the ball, and the vestibulo ocular eye movements compensated for the premature head movement. The batter was apparently giving his head a head start. Why would he want to do this? Because the head is heavier than the eye and consequently takes longer to get it moving: therefore, in the beginning of the movement, as the head starts turning to the right (ahead of the ball), the vestibular system in the inner ear signals the oculomotor system to make a compensating leftward eye movement. This allows the head to start turning while the gaze remains fixed on the ball.”

“However, this vestibulo ocular compensation must soon stop. In the last half of the balls flight, the eye and head must both be moving to the right, and the batter must, therefore, suppress his vestibular ocular reflex, so that the tracking head movements does not produce compensating eye movements that would take his eye off the ball. The professional athlete was very good at suppressing his vestibule ocular reflex. Most of our students subjects tracked the ball with either head movements alone or eye movements alone, but not both.”

“After the ball crossed the plate, the students usually made large eye or head movements, whereas the gaze of the professional athlete was quite steady.”

Page 181 of Keep your Eye On The Ball.

We have taught this to our students for years! Close your eyes as a right handed hitter while looking towards first base and turn your head towards the pitcher. Now tell me what direction your eyes moved? Towards the pitcher or the catchers position. At stride with the head getting a head start, which way did your eyes move?

Aug 31, 2010
Tallmadge, Ohio
Fourts ... I'm glad you don't have an agenda ... mine is basically the spreading of helpful and useful information. PM me the 7 video clips ... I'll confirm and report back. Thanks in advance.

I believe in the Hanson principle that you talk so much about!!! I've seen Crystl hit and have seen her teach all I've seen from you is words. Pretty hard to apply that principle to you since nobody has seen any of your work.
Oh if you want to see the videos contact Crystle and see if she will send you some for your unbiased opinion!

Oct 19, 2009
I pulled up three more swing clips of Bustos to confirm ... in none of these swings did she keep her head down.

Sometimes we see what we want to see and refuse to admit we make mistakes.

Some of your post recommends to watch the best players and do what they do, which IMO is easier said than done. I am more interested in the training, drills and dedication required to get to that point we see as an end result.

CB is not the only one who I have heard tracking the ball and head down at contact, a college baseball coach (he according to Alabama HC had more former players in MLB than any current coach) was a guest speaker at Alabama softball camp and Alabama staff also preached tracking the ball and head down at contact. These successful players and coaches instructions along with my experience is enough to make me believe there is something to this concept of head down at contact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad