Keep your eyes on the ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
So this is us agreeing that you CAN track it all the way?

"By training the eye to see the colors and numbers, the player can track the ball all the way into the bat or the glove. It's like what you'd do in the weight room with any other part of your body."

or is this you trying to drive your point home with what you BOLDED? (which is once again reaction time and not vision tracking). On a side note, I generally listen to you on hitting when it comes to mechanics and I've used a lot of what you've said with my DDs but I am just not on the same page with you on this one, and apparently, neither is the Vice Prez quoted in this article.

May 17, 2012
I'm open to adjusting my thinking on this subject but I would have to see some evidence based on softball (big ol yellow ball travelling slower) and some explanation as to why on Earth would you not want to do your absolute best to see the ball all the way even if it were impossible?

In the ESPN sports science video (NOT the one referenced above) it talks about the reaction time for fastpitch batters is actually less than that for MLB hitters.

I think the point is that even with the larger ball once you achieve a certain speed it's almost impossible to track all the way in to the bat.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
So this is us agreeing that you CAN track it all the way?

"By training the eye to see the colors and numbers, the player can track the ball all the way into the bat or the glove. It's like what you'd do in the weight room with any other part of your body."

or is this you trying to drive your point home with what you BOLDED? (which is once again reaction time and not vision tracking). On a side note, I generally listen to you on hitting when it comes to mechanics and I've used a lot of what you've said with my DDs but I am just not on the same page with you on this one, and apparently, neither is the Vice Prez quoted in this article.

Sorry I can't see it? Couldn't pass on that joke.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
funny stuff. I'll be posting some video of my little one hitting later tonight and I fully expect you to come through for me with some advice. Don't let me down.

You have hurt my feeings so I ...... Sure, no problem that is what I really like to do. If there was more dads posting their DD's I wouldn't be down here, I would be up on the Tech Hitting floor.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
Hitting Power Tip #1

One way was to simply keep your head down. Most people think you need to keep your head down as part of keeping your eyes on the ball so that you hit better. However, if you ever see Crystl at a clinic, she'll tell you that there is an actual PHYSICAL reason why you gain more power in your swing if you keep your head down vs letting your chin and head come up. It has to do with the engaging of the muscles surrounding your spine in your lower back.

12-10-2011 - Crystl Bustos on Hitting Power

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Look at the picture of George Brett in Charlie Lau Sr. book the Art of Hitting 300 . It shows the eyes and what PEPPERS posted.
There is a book, Keep Your Eye on the Ball that has a lot of information especially on tracking and speed of the ball and how the eyes can not move fast enough after the ball is more than 34 degrees off fovea or the back of the eye. So are you practicing game situations where the head must start a little early so the eyes can catch up? Being able to explain the head position is what really gets them to understand how to track the ball better. Also kids try to focus on an object like a ball and that is a mistake. Don't move the eyes to the hip to catch the ball at release till the last moment. Your eyes cannot focus that long on one object. Try it. Try to stare at an object and see what happens, it will become blurry. There are many eye drills that you can learn to improve your ability to track a ball.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
Any idea why she didn't follow this advice in her own swing?

FYI, minimizing head movement during the actual swing is important in terms of maximizing efficiency, but that shouldn't be confused with a requirement to keep the head down.

Don’t know exactly what you’re looking at, but the swings of hers I reviewed her head was down.

FYI you’re putting words in my mouth again, I talked about tracking the ball and head down. Where did I recommend excessive head movement?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283