Keep your eyes on the ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Jim, a hitter cannot physically track a ball continuously from release to contact.

Despite that, I agree that hitters should find the ball early, at the pitcher's release, and attempt to track the ball to contact.

Good point. That's correct. We do agree on that.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
All you have to do is read post 71 and read his book and you would have your answer on what a hitter can or cannot do. It has been studied and tracking can be improved. We did it with Team USA. I have at least 5 pages of different vision drills that improve the ability to track a ball.

Here is a cut and paste from some of the material :

HAP page 499; “Convergence: Human beings have binocular vision, meaning that although we have two eyes, we perceive only one image. Each eye receives an image from a slightly different angle, and this creates the impression of distance, depth, and three-dimensionality. (This is why we want you to get a good two eyed look at the ball and why we use a 5 degree offset.) For this reason, binocular vision is sometimes called stereoscopic vision. In binocular vision, the two eyeballs turn slightly inward to focus on a close object so that both images fall on the corresponding points of both retinas at the same time. This is why we do the pencil drills!

This action is called convergence. In order to produce a single image, the six extraocular muscles must move together with perfect coordination. The pencil drill helps us to practice convergence and that improves our ability to track and focus on seeing the ball.

As a result of convergence, the simultaneous stimulation of both retinas produces the perception of a single image in the occipital lobe of the cerebral cortex.”

Remember see the ball hit the ball and it’s one of the most difficult things to do in sports!

I would really suggest reading the book, Keep Your Eyes On The Ball, especially chapter 7, as it gives you a better insight as to how they completed the experiment.

They used a professional baseball player named Brian Harper and two others however my interest centered on him since the others hand no experience. He demonstrated traits I would expect a pro to use. The way they measured the people is a hoot and you have to see the picture from the book to really appreciate it.

If you have ever seen Elton John with the huge glasses, and then put sensors on the head including what looks like an antennae with him wearing a back pack for a power supply, that is what it looks like.

Of interest were the others in ability to track the ball like the pro. They give the direction of tracking the ball in degrees from the fovea of the eye. To gain an understanding of this he suggested using a 12-inch ruler and holding it in front of you at arm’s length. Look at the left end of the ruler and the right end is about 34 degrees off the fovea. While looking at the left end you won’t be able to read the numbers on the right side.

Because the two other people were using just their eyes or just their head, they did not track it as well as the pro.

Brian tracked the ball using head and eye movements, keeping his eye on the ball longer than the other persons did. He did not track the ball to the point of bat and ball collision.

KYEOTB page 177; “He was able to keep his position error below 2 degrees until the ball was within 5.5 ft. from the plate, at which point he began to fall behind. When the ball was 2 ft. in front of the plate the image of the ball was already 16 degrees off his fovea and was going 1,100 degrees per second. Thus, he was no longer tracking the ball.”

Again he did not track the ball to the point where he could see the ball and bat collide because it is not possible if the speed of the ball is over 35 MPH.

They didn’t say what kind of stance he was using or his mechanics but they went on to say it was repeatable.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
All you have to do is read post 71 and read his book and you would have your answer on what a hitter can or cannot do. It has been studied and tracking can be improved. We did it with Team USA. I have at least 5 pages of different vision drills that improve the ability to track a ball.

SBF, have you personally trained the players on Team USA? What was your involvement?

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
You know who the quote was from. But yes I have had at least 6 from Team USA that explained process to me and other vision training methods they did in China . How many have you worked with? Laura Berg in Portland is one! Since you want everyone to believe you have connections ask Berg about the bat Axe? I'm one of the few that Bustos and Carrier have shared the hitting manual they did together. Jim is a Minor League hitting coach, we are getting a chuckle that you would discuss hitting with him. Yet we all are waiting for that first person you have worked with Chris to step forward!
There is at least a dozen posters on here that have watched me give lessons or I have worked with one of their kids. So looks like the ball is in your court. I'm sure you will deflect as you always seem to do.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2012
I attached some pictures on one of the greatest athletes in the world and it shows his unique ability to track the ball. If you examine the pictures, it appears Roger Federer is actually looking behind the contact point of the ball. I put 3 pictures in to show this is not an exception but he almost always does this on his forehand. His tracking technique is different than other tennis players as they are similar to baseball/sofball players as they appear to look at the 5 foot in front point and lose actual eye contact of the ball. I've read that some tennis teaching pros are teaching to look behind the ball at contact similar to Federer. I've actually tried to copy this method, and when I cognizantly focus on this, I feel my contact with the sweet spot is better. Do you think this would be possible to do this in Softball to improve contact? Note the tennis ball moves faster than the softball, is smaller and affected more by spin so IMO if it can be done in Tennis it can be done in Softball.

Feder forehand 2.jpgFederer forehand one.jpgfedererer forehand 3.jpg

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You know who the quote was from. But yes I have had at least 6 from Team USA that explained process to me and other vision training methods they did in China . How many have you worked with? Laura Berg in Portland is one! Since you want everyone to believe you have connections ask Berg about the bat Axe? I'm one of the few that Bustos and Carrier have shared the hitting manual they did together. Jim is a Minor League hitting coach, we are getting a chuckle that you would discuss hitting with him. Yet we all are waiting for that first person you have worked with Chris to step forward!
There is at least a dozen posters on here that have watched me give lessons or I have worked with one of their kids. So looks like the ball is in your court. I'm sure you will deflect as you always seem to do.

SBF, the question was for clarification of your statement "We did it with Team USA". That statement was not in quotes.

I'm guessing here, but when you used the word "we", you meant someone else, and you personally were not involved in the group of "we" that was training Team USA.

Not a big issue ... I was just seeking clarification and trying to understand your application of the word "we" and who specifically was involved.

May 3, 2013
Are you stronger with the head down during contact and how would you be able to prove it to a student you are working with?

How do you prove it to a young student so they "get it". Just looking for what creates that "AHAH" moment. Thanks in advance.
If I missed it I am sorry, but was bypassing some of the healthy debating!

May 17, 2012
I attached some pictures on one of the greatest athletes in the world and it shows his unique ability to track the ball. If you examine the pictures, it appears Roger Federer is actually looking behind the contact point of the ball. I put 3 pictures in to show this is not an exception but he almost always does this on his forehand. His tracking technique is different than other tennis players as they are similar to baseball/sofball players as they appear to look at the 5 foot in front point and lose actual eye contact of the ball. I've read that some tennis teaching pros are teaching to look behind the ball at contact similar to Federer. I've actually tried to copy this method, and when I cognizantly focus on this, I feel my contact with the sweet spot is better. Do you think this would be possible to do this in Softball to improve contact? Note the tennis ball moves faster than the softball, is smaller and affected more by spin so IMO if it can be done in Tennis it can be done in Softball.

View attachment 4357View attachment 4358View attachment 4359

I would say it's just the opposite. If you are taking your eye off of the ball to "look behind" or anticipate where the ball is going to be you will not have enough time to make adjustments with your swing.

I believe the research with baseball, cricket, and tennis players all agree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole