Jen Schroeder - The Packaged Deal

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
The goal should be synthesis: taking the parts (NECC, Jen S, your experiences) and making a greater whole (better catching DD). I'll be interested to read what you think after the clinic.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Eric,

Before I post, I gotta say...you give me a run for my money with your zeal and passion for your DDs success. While I'm sure we may disagree about this, that or the other thing at some point in our journey I just want to say I have the utmost respect for you as a Dad (and coach?) for the effort you put forth...seriously...great stuff!

My DD1 catches...and DD2 pitches and DD3 at 7 YO is TBD :)

Although I am a HUGE proponent of NECC's instrucion for catchers, so am I and there are some significant differences in the teaching approach by Jen Schroeder agreed , I have signed my 10yo DD for an upcoming Packaged Deal clinic FREAKING AWESOME!!!(The Package - The Packaged Deal - www.packageddeal.com) run by Jen.

As I see it, NECC excels at finite details of positioning and mechanics. Especially for catchers just being introduced to proper stances, footwork, and glove positions, NECC can't be beat (IMO). Jen's approach is much more athletic, and (based on the videos I've seen) seems to put more focus on Speed, Fitness, and Agility <We have 3 Easton sponsered teams in my org...S F and A are THE focus even MORESO than...> than precise technique. I know that Jay @ NECC doesn't agree with the rapid-fire drills taught by Jen. If the drill starts breaking down proper mechanics, and puts the player in a dangerous position, I tend to agree with Jay. job of the coach to stop mindless reps IMO

However, I think there is something valuable to be gained from Jen's approach <Absolutely>. Although there will never be a time in a game situation where a catcher will have to face rapid-fire pitches and make multiple blocks in a row when in a basketball game would you shoot 10 - 3 pointers consecutively without ever moving elsewhere on the court? Yet go to a high school BB practice and this is a common drill, I can see that the inclusion of some rapid-fire work helps a lot to build speed, improve reflexes, and increase overall fitness. Ding Ding Ding! Winner! A fast and athletic catcher is a good thing Nah...want 'em SLOWWWWW and clummmmsy (end stupidity font) LOL . Strength and fitness helps a catcher do their job better, for longer.

Inspired by some of Jen's drills, a few months ago, I started including some rapid-fire blocking work with my DD. 3 blocks - center, right side, left side. Between each pitch, she returns to a proper runners-on stance. If her blocking form is poor, we re-set and start again. My DD has commented to me that this drill has helped a lot in getting her reflexes up to speed to be able to block in a game situation. AWESOMESAUCE!!!

The clinic is Dec 22, and I will provide some commentary after we attend. I put it in my calendar mother trucker...if no review by the 23rd, the cavalry is comin' for ya!!

Has anyone else attended a Packaged Deal clinic or worked with Jen Schroeder?

~~~~~

My team runs pitchers and catchers on Thursdays. We start the whole group with a series of jumps\plyo moves as prescribed by JavaSource...it's a killer 8 minutes...

We then break out pitchers and catchers into separate cages. I take the pitchers and my AC pounds...err I mean works my catchers and DD1 like a rented mule (I'm 12U, DD1 is 14U but practices with us all the time). AC's routine varies week to week but each drill alternates between "technique" and "athleticism." She was an 18U gold catcher\1B and is very familiar with both NECC and JSchro...She does a wonderful job of balancing both ends of the spectrum. She ALWAYS will pause\stop a drill if form goes to hell...bad reps are worse than no reps...

Not just for catchers but for my players and the way I run my practices (and to the benefit of JSchro's approach) - IMO it is EASIER to build a softball player if your first build THE ATHLETE. If I have an athlete - implementing the NECC approach becomes infinitely easier IMO.

I look forward to your review...CP

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
It is tough for the young ladies to be trusted as coaches, and let's be honest that there is an old boy's club, which is very prevalent on this board in particular.

A lot of what is taught by any catching instructor is what works for the player, the group, etc. I am not sure how anyone can be so judgmental before even taking the class. I don't see anything unusual or unimpressive or faster and rapid fire versus sticklers for technique. I see hard work taking place.

I personally don't believe in over attention to detail for young kids, same as pitching. The catcher needs a "doer" or "competitor" foundation and can be a "thinker" and "perfector" later. I also see a lot of variance in what works. One kid can fire from her knees with barely a lower body movement, and another kid looks like a mess walking on her knees. So I would not force a catcher into certain positions if in fact it hurts her results. It has to work for the catcher and her stage of development.

When kids get to HS I see a lot of stubborness in trying new things, even when they don't have results. They say "I was told I HAVE to do it this way and the problem is I stink at it and just have to do it more." This is not good. Adjusting and having tools in your kit are skills in and of itself. That is what I see in Jen's approach.

Wow, I am continually amazed at the depths and extent of your softball ignorance and gender bias.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Great stuff, Chris, and thanks for your words of support and encouragement. A review will definitely be forthcoming...no later than the 23rd. ;)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Okay, here we go. My impressions of Jen Schroeder's catchers' clinic...

Being that this was a 1-1/2 hour clinic with 20+ students, they really aren't able to get in-depth with some of the details. The clinic was set up with a variety of stations that small groups would cycle through, getting a little bit of instruction from a different coach at each location. There were also a few moments of instruction to the whole group (fundamental blocking position, for example).

There was a good discussion about catchers needing to be the leader/quarterback on the field, which means getting the mask off, stepping up from behind the plate and giving loud, clear instructions to the team. It was noted that this - more than anything else - is what college coaches are looking for in a catcher. Be a leader. Be loud. Command with authority.

There was a LOT of work on fitness and agility drills - lunges, squats, bear-crawls, jumps. I believe that a strong, agile, explosive athlete makes for a good catcher, and this is something that is included in one form or another throughout the entire session. Physically, this was probably the single biggest benefit to the clinic. My DD powered through every exercise and every rep. At the end of the day, she was spent, and is still sore this morning.

The instruction about blocking position was fine - no significant issues there. There are a few details - feet together, elbows spread - that weren't touched on, but I can let that slide because of the short time available to teach a large group.

I agree with Jen's receiving instruction about "firm arm, loose wrist", catching the ball out front, and shifting the body behind the ball. The little bit of receiving work included in the drill rotations included instruction on thumb-up for inside pitches and thumb-down for outside pitches. That stuff was just fine.

Where I started having issues with the instruction is what they didn't reinforce, didn't teach, and a few areas they do reinforce.

There was almost zero instruction about protection of the throwing hand. I heard one of the coaches bark out "remember to protect your throwing hand" during the midst of the drill rotations, but there was never any discussion or direction about how that should be done and where to put it.

The single most detrimental drill I witnessed was a rapid-repetition blocking-move drill where the catcher would follow a line of balls on the ground while dropping into their blocking position at each one, while moving right to left, and then left to right. The object was to go as fast as possible down the line. There was NO instruction or reinforcement on maintaining decent blocking mechanics and keeping their throwing hand in a protected position at any point. For 90% of the students, it was sloppy, floppy, and ugly. Later, during a similar drill with similar sloppiness being displayed, I made the mistake of reminding Maddie to maintain her blocking form (I should have kept my mouth shut, because she was actually doing a decent job - better than most of the girls out there). After the drill rotation was done, I was chastised by Jen, and it was announced to everyone that the drills aren't intended to be about technique, but about speed, and maintaining form didn't matter. That right there was when I got off the JSchro bus. What I witnessed was girls practicing sloppy and hazardous form over and over again, reinforcing bad habits that will come out in the pressure of a game situation. As I have said previously in this thread, I think there is some benefit to low-rep rapid-fire blocking drills, but proper form and techniques MUST be maintained. What I saw in the clinic is not something I would ask catchers to do - ever.

During one session of remarks to the entire group of students, Jen made it clear that she didn't agree with a "runners-on" position (she didn't call it that) or putting the throwing hand behind the mitt. She insisted that it's faster to block from a low and wide position - faster to do everything, I believe she said at one point. There was also a comment about it being too tiring. I found it interesting, however, that during the final drill which required the catcher to spin 180 degrees and leap out to catch a simulated foul ball, EVERY catcher started in a "runners-on" type position. Whether it was a conscious thought or not, every one of those kids knew they were faster not being in a low squat. Although my DD tried her best to follow along with the drills, her ability to block from a "no runners" position was ineffective at best.

I haven't touched on every aspect of what was taught, but these are the things jumping out at me right now.

On the drive home, my DD and I discussed what she experienced, and what her impressions were of the instruction. First of all, she's not getting rid of the "no runners" position with her throwing hand behind the mitt. She clearly understands the logic of why it makes sense, and feels the difference in speed on the field. She had fun doing the rapid-repetition drills, but understands that maintaining proper form is critical. For the most part, we aren't going to make any significant changes to the way she is already playing the game, and the work we do.

While it's not truly fair to compare the 9 hours of instruction included in a 3- day NECC camp with a 1-1/2 hour clinic, I think I got enough sense of Jen's fundamental teaching philosophies. For us, Jen's catchers' clinic is not a do-over. Honestly, I'm pretty disappointed it wasn't better.

On a side note, my DD also attended the Packaged Deal clinics on infield and hitting. The infield clinic had some good drills for younger players to build quickness, and was a pretty good experience for my DD. The hitting clinic was pretty close to worthless on most mechanical aspects (IMO, for my DD), with the ONLY redeeming feature being discussion about mental approach and attitude.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
Thanks the insight and analysis. Glad I'm having my DS attend the January NECC clinic. Sounds like the better option.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm a big believer in getting proper mechanics built into muscle memory before trying to go fast - if you can't do it properly slowly, you will NEVER do it properly under stress in a game situation. NECC's focus on proper mechanics is a VERY important part of creating a great catcher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad