Its raining helmets!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
When my 9yo is making a play at the plate, and the incoming runner is wearing a helmet with a steel cage, I SURE AS HELL want my DD to have her face equally protected.

I can't find it right now, but somewhere (likely posted by Chaz) there is a video clip of an un-masked catcher getting multiple teeth knocked OUT OF HER HEAD by the runner's knee in a bash-up play at the plate. This is all the evidence anyone needs to see to make up their mind.

I will NEVER tell a catcher to take off her mask during a play on the field. If a coach ever tells my DD to toss the mask, she knows enough to refuse, and I will have a discussion with the coach.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
I don't like my DD removing her helmet ever! Many have stated on a popup it's ok. Is it? What's the worst that can happen if she leaves helmet on? Doesn't find ball, doesn't get the out, all runners stay where they are at, pitcher has to throw another pitch.

Now, what's the worst that can happen if she rips off her helmet on a popup?
Trips over mask, breaks leg, breaks ankle, smashes face or back of head into ground, runs into fence face first, runs into post on fence, knocks out teeth, breaks jaw, concussion, etc. etc. etc.

So, are any of these alternatives to staying safe acceptable for your DD? They are not for mine.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I can't find it right now, but somewhere (likely posted by Chaz) there is a video clip of an un-masked catcher getting multiple teeth knocked OUT OF HER HEAD by the runner's knee in a bash-up play at the plate. This is all the evidence anyone needs to see to make up their mind.

Found it...

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
So, why must I fight with 12U coach that "insists" removing the helmet is always the way to go? How often at this level is there a catchable popup to the catcher? 3-4 times a season? Less than 1% of balls hit in the air?

As the players age up and become more able to foul balls off and the pitchers are able to throw riseballs, you will see a much larger volume of balls being popped up. In HS/ 14u and older level, it is not uncommon to see 2-3 catchable balls a game. Also, what happens if your DD slides in towards the fence on her knees too late to get a WP/PB? With a helmet, she hits her facemask on the fence. Without one...? What happens on the pop up if it's in fair territory close to home, you have an aggressive baserunner coming from 3rd that is just itching to score and there's a collision due to a drop? There are just too many bad scenarios that can happen for my taste. Not saying you're right or wrong, just that it's not in my wheelhouse to put my DD or my other catchers in jeopardy because of a game.

May 26, 2013
Recent JV game pop up behind the plate near the fence. My DD runs catches the ball just before it hits the ground. In doing so she runs face first smack into the fence. Looked like a cartoon character when it hits a wall and slides down. She was all about catching the ball and not worrying about hurting herself. Would she of done this if she had her helmet off?

Apr 11, 2012
He told me thank you and then yelled to DD that next time don't listen to him.:cool: Needless to say I was amazed.

you shouldn't put up with that type of disrespect from a coach who is clearly teaching a girls softball player the wrong way to do something....and he basically yelled "your dad is an idiot" out loud....and it would have "been on" if it were me....well, privately and in a "don't ever do that again to me" manner of course....

anybody that says a girls softball catcher should remove their helmet, at any time, is just being obtuse, period!....and hasn't ever put one on a newer catchers helmet and doesn't realize it's a modified hockey mask and a catcher doesn't need to ever take it off.....nor do they realize softball pop ups don't go very high and there isn't time to be jacking around with flipping a mask off, losing sight of the ball and trying to find it again. They need to practice quickness, rather than trying to look like a baseball player....then there's plays at the plate....

May 24, 2013
So Cal
you shouldn't put up with that type of disrespect from a coach who is clearly teaching a girls softball player the wrong way to do something....and he basically yelled "your dad is an idiot" out loud....and it would have "been on" if it were me....well, privately and in a "don't ever do that again to me" manner of course....

I think you may have misread what YOCOACH posted. The coach listened to what YOCOACH had to say, was enlightened by the new knowledge, and admonished himself . Props goes to the coach for being willing to listen to and accept new information.

VA Chris

Actually Read the Rules
Jun 13, 2013
Some field, Somewhere
Just a quick YouTube search and there it is. Like I said I've seen first hand a similar play like this but imagine if the catcher has no helmet

Watch "Texas Aggies Catcher Gets TRUCKED By Runner - Ump…" on YouTube
Texas Aggies Catcher Gets TRUCKED By Runner - Ump…: Texas Aggies Catcher Gets TRUCKED By Runner - Umpire Ejects Runner From The Tournament - YouTube

So being as these are kids playing little league, the call should favor safety. (Everyone please note that I am agreeing with protecting the catcher prior to the flame throwers and pitch forks)

That catcher was in the wrong spot all together. He is standing smack in the base line without the ball. There is a very safe corner in front of the plate on the 3rd base side to stand that allows the runner the base path and gives the catcher a good defensive position. After receiving the ball, catcher can block the plate, or stand where he wants to make the tag. With no ball in his glove, just a bad spot to be standing.

(please go back and read the part where I agree with the HU, ok, breathe a little.......all right FLAME ON!!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1