Its raining helmets!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
DD just finished her first HS softball season and while they put her at 3rd base instead of playing as a catcher I got to observe a lot of other catchers this year and all I can say is ,"Its raining helmets". Seriously , every play where the catcher is moving they are flinging that thing somewhere . I saw numerous plays where if the catcher had just left her helmet on she would have made a great play but due to the fact that she was busy hurling that thing somewhere she wasn't able to get position or catch a ball . Don't get me wrong a lot of these girls are very talented players I just think that the removal of the helmet has gotten to a point that its a little ridiculous .

Jan 3, 2014
Mine has been taught to only take it off to field a high popup. When she does, she's supposed to keep it with her until she gets under the ball, then toss it away from the play so she doesn't trip on it. My baseball playing son, however, flips his off every chance he gets.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Throughout her career to date, DD has been advised to throw the helmet by 2 coaches and a busload(full length) of helpful parents.
The coaches, she could reason with, the cage committee just stare and scratch themselves....they may even fling poo when agitated.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
DD went after a high pop-up foul yesterday in a JV game but barely missed it. JV coach told her she needed to take her helmet off to catch it. After the game, we had a little discussion and I politely told him that the taking off of the helmet was for the old style baseball catchers mask with the limited view. I showed him that the new "hockey" style masks were actually not meant to be taken off and they have almost a full 180 degree view. I also told him that the top catching instructors in the country were telling catchers of all levels including MLB catchers to leave them on. He told me thank you and then yelled to DD that next time don't listen to him.:cool: Needless to say I was amazed.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
DD went after a high pop-up foul yesterday in a JV game but barely missed it. JV coach told her she needed to take her helmet off to catch it. After the game, we had a little discussion and I politely told him that the taking off of the helmet was for the old style baseball catchers mask with the limited view. I showed him that the new "hockey" style masks were actually not meant to be taken off and they have almost a full 180 degree view. I also told him that the top catching instructors in the country were telling catchers of all levels including MLB catchers to leave them on. He told me thank you and then yelled to DD that next time don't listen to him.:cool: Needless to say I was amazed.

Good job by you and DD. Great job by coach!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I teach the girls to put them on in the dugout, take them off when they get back to the dugout - and ignore anyone that is yelling at them to take off their head gear.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
I've seen girls in our 10U division get hammered after removing her helmet for a fair pop fly that the pitcher called for and missed, then flipped it to catcher to keep 3rd base runner from scoring. It was ugly, helmet to head collisions are not fun. I tell every coach DD has played for that I would rather my DD miss a pop fly/play then make a trip to the ER

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Today's catcher's helmets are modified goalie hockey masks. When was the last time you saw a hockey goalie take their mask off during play?

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
I'm fighting this battle right now with 13 yr old DD's coaches. I took an informal survey in my area today of what to do in a popup situation. Here is what I found…
Me: Keep helmet on…always...
12U Coach: Remove Helmet
8th grade coach: Remove
Catcher instructor in area: She would remove, but finds that most coaches say player preference.
HS Coach (of several time state champions): He stated his players leave them on, with verbal assistance on popups from pitchers. He also stated it is player preference and he does not see it as a big deal either way.

So, why must I fight with 12U coach that "insists" removing the helmet is always the way to go? How often at this level is there a catchable popup to the catcher? 3-4 times a season? Less than 1% of balls hit in the air?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12