is it truely a 1-7 spin or is more of a ...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2014
java the last ball in post #69 is exactly what I see J throw and was what I was trying to explain on Sunday. I believe this is the spin BM is explaining in "what I mean" thread/post. if I understand correctly, her ball will drop when thrown like this, to achieve the scrop, 1 -7, catchers view, a pitcher needs to keep thumb more open and to achieve the drop curve, 11-5, catchers view, action the thumb needs to be more forward?

Oct 4, 2014
sounds goods. by open I mean less forward or basically the way we throw our fb. i will also have live game vids on the weekend of april 18 & 19. M and J both will get a start. do you want those to be full speed or 240fps? j will be very excited to see her review.
Happy Easter!

Oct 4, 2014
I found a post from a while back, 12/31/09 and I am looking for some clarity.
IR/drop explanation of spin post number 29
I think this is the same thing Java was inquiring about. after reading this post a few times, I am not sure if BM is saying BH says this is what he throws and how it breaks or he is saying this is what BH says and I agree....
if it is the latter then it seems to conflict with post #49 of this thread.
I am not arguing nor am I trying to do a gotcha type thing. I respect and appreciate BM's opinions immensely, I am just trying to learn as much as I can for obvious reasons, trying to help DD.
thank you in advance for any info you are willing to share.

Jul 14, 2008
I found a post from a while back, 12/31/09 and I am looking for some clarity.
IR/drop explanation of spin post number 29
I think this is the same thing Java was inquiring about. after reading this post a few times, I am not sure if BM is saying BH says this is what he throws and how it breaks or he is saying this is what BH says and I agree....
if it is the latter then it seems to conflict with post #49 of this thread.
I am not arguing nor am I trying to do a gotcha type thing. I respect and appreciate BM's opinions immensely, I am just trying to learn as much as I can for obvious reasons, trying to help DD.
thank you in advance for any info you are willing to share.

Link to the post? Nevermind, I see it. Here's what I was commenting on from Bill:

Mark, I see an earlier closure of my hips in the clip BM put up. But if this was my "cutter drop" which breaks down and in to a RH batter, then I will close my hips slighter to start the ball in that trajectory. Finger pressure adjusts the spin to about 1 o'clock to 7 o'clock rotation to make it break in ward. Remember, the only time I will throw side to side pitches is when they also move up and down.

Bill

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
What I've found is that the best way for anyone to figure out what the best spin is for them is to manipulate the laces and the axis and throw some pitches like Java did. Have your DD work on doing this. You sit on the bucket and decide what causes the ball to do want it to do.......

See Post 21 in that thread for the bottom line.......

Nov 12, 2013
maritimes
does the axis of rotation need to be off set vertically as well as in a horizontal plane for a break down and in on a rh? the spin java is looking for appears this way, but BM's spin from other thread (spinning gear) appears to only be off set in horizontal plane.

Jul 14, 2008
My experience is that both MIGHT MOVE in and or down. Notice I used the words move vs. break. I think over use of the word "break" on this board is becoming distracting to the overall goal, which is movement......Move it in.......Move it down.....Move it up......Move it out.....Slow it down......Speed it up.......

Stop worrying how much it "breaks".........Because the bottom line is, except for gravity enhancement, most pitches don't "break" enough to even discuss.......

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
My experience is that both MIGHT MOVE in and or down. Notice I used the words move vs. break. I think over use of the word "break" on this board is becoming distracting to the overall goal, which is movement......Move it in.......Move it down.....Move it up......Move it out.....Slow it down......Speed it up.......

Stop worrying how much it "breaks".........Because the bottom line is, except for gravity enhancement, most pitches don't "break" enough to even discuss.......

Right.... It only has to move the width of the bat...3" :cool:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma