is it truely a 1-7 spin or is more of a ...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
It looks like that ball is taped across two seams, not 4.

I have been following this thread but it's not clear to me why we are taping it across two seams? Are we trying to throw a two seam that cuts in?

My DD's fastball looks like Javas but she is throwing four seams. It has never cut in but has dropped occasionally, less so now that she is older.

Sometimes when we long toss I can always tell when she doesn't throw it 1-7 as the ball breaks down and away. The cue to fix is to lead with the pinky.

Hope that helps, or not?

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Here is the 1/7 2Seamer.... Breaking Baby !!! 2 planes :cool:

Screw.gif

2 seam 1-7; That's DD's fastball, but it looks like this. What are you calling this pitch?

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
2 seam 1-7; That's DD's fastball, but it looks like this. What are you calling this pitch?

We call it "the Screw".... I guess it's a scrop ??? Here is me trying to get closer to see seams (tape)... I'm seeing 1/7 on all 4 2Seam pitches :confused:

That's a piece of reg. typing paper, not a plate... the top of my head comes to DD's sternum... so I'm saying all strikes :cool:

seams.gif

Last edited:

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
I think there's still quite a bit of confusion as to the axis we are talking about...

This is the scrop spin I'm trying to get:

2rnua2x.jpg

It will spin like this.. when viewed from the pitcher's perspective:

2i8gch3.jpg

It will spin like this... when viewed from the catcher's perspective:

2aan34m.jpg

It will NOT look like this from the catcher's perspective:

73kxgo.jpg

The last one is just 6-12 spin... it will only drop...

I don't care if it's 1, 2, 3, or 4-seam... the spin should take it DOWN & IN... not just the trajectory and gravity.

I finally found a use for a ball on a stick...

Last edited:

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Here's a frame by frame of a 2-seam striped attempt... it's wobbly... but you'll see that the overwhelming majority of the frames are 1-7 CATCHER'S view... not 1-7 Pitcher's view:

keak3q.jpg

The frames marked with a green dot are what I was after. Yellow was 12-6... and red was 11-5. Again... catcher's view here... not pitcher's view.

Edit:

Note... this tilted axis is not the same as the 12-6 tilted above:

33wwm8n.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Perfect Circle - Looking good! What are you sitting on? Thanks.

It's a milk crate. I'm down low + the top of my head is the top of the zone...for working on rise. :cool:

I also use a basketball. I got a 3.5 gallon bucket too. But here is my Cadillac @ Home

perfect-circle-albums-hitting-picture3930-mg-0210.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma