Is her bat broken?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2009
Be careful about using terms like 'all, never, always,' etc, but 'stick with -10' still a good generalization nonetheless. We are just offering different opinions here. It isn't any less pretty when performance and confidence suffers at an older age. I think this is one reason that Amy/most make the 'blanket statement.' Think of it as "you can pay now or pay more later." Amy has been around the game for a few days and still works with young ones. I'll stop speaking for her now. ;)

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Don't get me wrong, I have a TON of respect for Amy, her experience, and her continued commitment to helping young players learn and enjoy the game. In my book, she is a hero of the sport. As you said, we're just offering different opinions. Mine just happens to to be slightly different than Amy's (and yours, apparently).

Jul 2, 2014
Well, this was my thinking with this bat...
This is her first year at 10u. This is her first composite. The Worth was a good bat for two years but wanted to upgrade. She was still behind the faster pitchers (along with most teammates) so I didn't want to up her weight 3 ounces. She says the composite "feels" lighter even though it's heavier, which is what I've heard about composites. If she stays at 10u again next year, (see my other thread, lol) I'm thinking of upgrading her bat...
Is my thinking wrong that a lighter bat will help her catch up to the faster pitchers?
She's about 4'9". 90 pounds.

Keep in mind I used aluminum playing hardball 20 years ago and don't really know the new technology. I also don't know why girls don't use weighted donuts when warming up/on deck. We used them constantly and I always thought it helped a ton...

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Is my thinking wrong that a lighter bat will help her catch up to the faster pitchers?

Often, being late (or early) isn't about bat weight, but is more about timing and mechanics. One of the things I see frequently with the 10U girls I'm around most is swing patterns that have long hand travel before contact. This requires them to start their swing process very early to have a chance at squaring up to the ball for decent contact. As is also typical, most wait to see if the pitch is good before starting their swing process. If the pitching is fast, there simply isn't enough time for a hitter with a long swing pattern to get the bat squared up. In this case, a lighter bat MAY improve reaction time, and the ability to get the bat around to the ball, but not necessarily. An adjustment in timing may also help - get the swing process started earlier, before the location has even been determined, on every pitch. As pitching speed continues to increase during her playing career, a long-pattern swing will struggle no matter what the weight of the bat. Good mechanics allow for a fast/explosive swing AND a heavier bat, with more time to judge pitch location.

Summary...A lighter bat may not solve the real issue.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2014
TY for the input. We are def working with her to shorten her path to the ball. I also really agree that most 10u girls are waiting to see location before starting. With some of those pitchers from 35 feet you just don't have time.
More things to work on with her hitting coach this offseason.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
TY for the input. We are def working with her to shorten her path to the ball. I also really agree that most 10u girls are waiting to see location before starting. With some of those pitchers from 35 feet you just don't have time.
More things to work on with her hitting coach this offseason.

There is ALWAYS something to work on ;)

One of the things I tell my DD and her teammates is that they need to expect that EVERY pitch will be one to hit, and start their swing process on EVERY pitch - "start the lower body early". Getting the swing started takes a long time. Stopping is fast. If you wait to see where the ball is going to be before you start the process, you will be late or panicked (or both), and neither will give you a good opportunity to hit the ball with power.

Miguel Cabrera provides a great example of getting the launch sequence started on every pitch.
Cabrera_062313_PbP_stack.gif

May 18, 2009
Well, this was my thinking with this bat...
This is her first year at 10u. This is her first composite. The Worth was a good bat for two years but wanted to upgrade. She was still behind the faster pitchers (along with most teammates) so I didn't want to up her weight 3 ounces. She says the composite "feels" lighter even though it's heavier, which is what I've heard about composites. If she stays at 10u again next year, (see my other thread, lol) I'm thinking of upgrading her bat...
She's about 4'9". 90 pounds.

Keep in mind I used aluminum playing hardball 20 years ago and don't really know the new technology. I also don't know why girls don't use weighted donuts when warming up/on deck. We used them constantly and I always thought it helped a ton...

My DD is 10U first year. She's 4-10 and 65lbs. Using the lighter bat, a one piece composite Louisville with a drop 13, she constantly hit to 2nd. Not a lot of hits to SS or pitcher. Change in bat that's an inch longer two piece and 3 ounces heavier and she's hitting up the middle to SS side. Went from barely getting into the outfield to two stand up doubles this weekend. In my opinion a quality bat makes a huge difference. Drop 10 or 11. I think the drop 13 was to light and the ball wanted to drive the bat back causing hits to second base. Heavier bat and the ball is up the middle more often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00