Adding a second bat - help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2019
I posted on the equipment page that DDs bat cracked and we sent it in to be replaced under warranty. It will take a while to get it back, which is fine-ish for now, but I hate to have this happen during tournament season. She has her old bat but it is pretty small for her, and even if it isn't really too small for her, it sure feels it to her compared to what she typically swings. It seems like a good time to add another bat so she can break it in now and have it in her bag for choice at the plate or in the event that one cracks again.

Here is where the question comes in, the history of recommendations for her. I have really no idea what is best for her. I bring her, I cheer for her, I follow directions...I haven't played since I was in 10th grade, I don't feel like I can even tell what advice is bad advice!

A year ago we were told to get her a -9 or even a -8. Given that I couldn't even find one for her to demo, I was leery of the recommendation. I posted about it here, and was pretty much told I was right to question it. She went with a longer bat with the same drop. So here is what I can tell you about her, and I am hoping you all can suggest what might be appropriate to demo as a second bat, hopefully a little different so that she has choice at the plate base don pitching:

Old bat: Demarini CFX 31 -10
Current bat: Easton Ghost Advanced 33 -10 [I realize that demarini -> easton is more than 2 oz change here]

She is turning 14 in April, 5'6", 165 lbs, lefty. She is strong, I hear it from her coaches (at her old club and her new club) and get comments from parents/observers. I know she is strong, I see it in softball, tumbling, random life. But I have no reason to believe she is herculean, and I read online that a bigger bat than what she has with her Ghost would be pretty unusual. She seems to handle her current bat well. She was hitting really, really well for the COVID-shortened last season. That was 12U, she is now 14U and only played in a couple of tournaments in the fall. She was still hitting really well, but she hasn't seen that much 14U pitching to know for sure how it goes (I wouldn't think?). She tends to hit center to left when she hits long balls, although line drives or ground balls are more variable, perhaps even favoring the right side of the field (reminder: lefty).

She can run in the same place for a long time, so slapping or anything else that relies on speed probably isn't a great option.

Do I just have her demo more 33 -10s and pick any other bat that feels good to her? It seems like Coach Google thinks 34" is too long, -9 is too heavy...where does that leave her to have two bats that are a little different that she can go to? Should we be looking smaller, even?

Sorry so long, I am feeling a little lost!

Dec 11, 2010
Oops. I will search for earlier threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I sincerely apologize!

That was not my intent at all. I lobby for this every time a bat sizing thread comes up. I think keeping all of that kind of discussion in one place is helpful to all AND over time it could be interesting to see how views evolve.

I love discussion, questions, answers and did not mean to make you feel like you should not have asked what is a really legit question!

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
IMO, I would find a good back up that is close or the same as her gamer. Then, I’d be looking for a -9 to experiment with and to use as a workout bat. She sounds like a strong young lady and I dont disagree with trying a -9, but it would not be a backup in case the gamer does break.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
If you're looking for a backup, then get a bat that is the same size, weight, and balance as her primary. This isn't golf where you've got a club for every occasion...find what works and stick with it. It doesn't have to be the same make and model, but something similar. A 33/23 is completely reasonable for a kid that age and size. If she's already a bit of an opposite field hitter, I wouldn't do anything heavier than -10 and would stick with a balanced vs end-loaded. Doesn't have to break the bank...sometimes you can find a decent deal on a used bat on Ebay.

Apr 20, 2015
We always carry 2 bats. The current year is usually the gamer and then the same model from the previous year the back up. Last season she swung 32/22 and this fall We also usually have a cage bat that we start with in the fall thats slightly bigger than the gamer from the previous season. Right now she swings 33/23 FNX...she's 5ft 5 120lbs, lifts 3 days a week. This fall the cage bat is going to be 33/24 and we'll see if she's feeling good about it for spring of 22. She's a freshman so not going to get much bigger but extremely athletic so I'd assume she'll get stronger.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aug 25, 2019
Speaking of two bats, my DD, like everyone on her team, and most every girl I see, carries two bats, yet DD, like most, only use one bat. Is this the norm because I know alot of you will say your DD uses both bats in games.

DD #1 2019 LXT 32/22
DD#2 2019 Demarini Insane 32/23

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Speaking of two bats, my DD, like everyone on her team, and most every girl I see, carries two bats, yet DD, like most, only use one bat. Is this the norm because I know alot of you will say your DD uses both bats in games.

DD #1 2019 LXT 32/22
DD#2 2019 Demarini Insane 32/23

Two bat for two cleats. :)

She only swings one bat in games, regardless of pitch speed. She needs to learn to adjust to the pitcher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad