Interesting blog on multi-sport athletes.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I would guess that the numbers of D1 and D2 athletes playing more than 1 sport is somewhere above 1%. The first thing they asked my DD is if she had any younger sisters. :) They seemed much more focused on what she could do than what she did. Most coaches only care about the skills you have developed, not the path you took to do it.

I think it helps a coach to know the path that was taken to develop the skills because it can help them understand whether that player has reached their potential or not. For example, if we have 2 pitchers (or players) with identical skills, which do you think has a higher ceiling - the one who has played that sport exclusively year round or the one who has played that sport and 2 others seasonally?

Jan 23, 2014
Actually I have 2 kids, and frankly my son was only 5th in his class, but we still love him (I joke) I get that not all families are in the same situation, frankly you have no idea what my situation is either. I can tell you that having a child with 2 auto immune disorders is nothing I would ever wish on anyone. My point isn't that my kid is better then yours or that I am a superior parent. My point is don't make limiting excuses for your child. If your family is limited by resources I understand that you can't spend a lot of money on sports and shuttling kids around places, I grew up in a 7 kid family believe me I know first hand how that goes. But we make excuses all the time for our kids sitting in front of video games and "hanging out" for hours on end as if they came upon that magically and without parental approval. We all get 24 hours in a day how you use that time and how your kids use that time is what makes things happen.
I see what you are saying. We don't have a gaming system. My kids are 10 and under, they don't hang out yet, they play outside, as I see free play as an important part of their development. I participated in 4 sports in high school + band, academic decathlon, etc, Etc. When I started working I went down to the things I cut to one sport plus non athletic extracurriculara. I was only really good at one sport. I wouldnt have had a drop of playing time on varsity teams in the others, even at my smaller school. At the bigger schools most kids go to I wouldnt have made the team. So it is exceptional to be a varsity athlete in multiple sports. I do not think it is appropriate to have elementary school kids to go to school all day, then head to softball practice until 7 and then head to volleyball practice that starts at 730 to finish at 9. And that is what I see with the kids on my 10 yr old dds team that participate in multiple sports. When do they do homework? What time do they go to bed? I speak from the perspective of the elementary school parent. My views will probably change as my kids are no longer playing outside but hanging around.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I think it helps a coach to know the path that was taken to develop the skills because it can help them understand whether that player has reached their potential or not. For example, if we have 2 pitchers (or players) with identical skills, which do you think has a higher ceiling - the one who has played that sport exclusively year round or the one who has played that sport and 2 others seasonally?

I want the one with the highest level of commitment. I would take the one that is already committed to the sport over the one still trying to sort it out. Many coaches are recruiting someone who is all in and ready to play softball for 4 years straight with only minimal if any time off. If the longest they have ever played is 5-6 months that would be a concern as there are no seasonal breaks in college. Not sure if I would want someone content to put it on a shelf for months at a time unless I am running a very laid back program.

Granted I am looking at this from a Southern perspective where is possible to play more than a few months out of the year. If the kid was from up North it may not be an option. Down here it is very difficult to compete unless playing year round.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2014
Coaches are looking for good academics and skill set. As an example, I can't see a coach picking a player because they played basketball while the other attended core / agility training during the same time frame. Also, Pitchers and catchers might have a more difficult time playing other sports because these are specialized and require extra time to develop their skills. If you ask 100 college softball players how they prepared for college, you'd probably get 100 different answers. There is no right or wrong answer.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina

I agree with you, and I don't doubt that some coaches look at that. It makes sense.

However, I don't think that should affect the decision of a young player as to whether or not to play multiple sports.

So, yes, while 'a pretty good player who played multiple sports' is more appealing than 'a pretty good player who specialized', neither is as appealing as 'a very good player who specialized'

Better to be a very good player, IMO. If that requires specializing, that might be the wiser route for many kids if the goal is a scholarship.

Dec 8, 2014
I'm a little late into the discussion, so I'm sorry if I repeat something somebody said previously. I think the main thing college coaches want is an athletic kid. Coaches believe they can teach better skills but athleticism is not that teachable. Some skill is required, especially for pitchers, but the more athletic you are the better chance you have to move on to the next level. I think athleticism helps you increase skill at a faster pace with a higher ceiling. Scholarshipstats.com reported that only 8.3% of high school softball players move on to college. 1.6% went DI and the highest number was NCAA DIII at 2.0%. I believe in most cases athleticism separates the 8.3 from the rest. 3 years ago, we had a girl go out for the HS softball team that had not played in 3 years because of basketball. She is a legit 6-0 with good size. She is currently playing mid-major DI. She was one of our top players that year even after 3 years of not playing. She could smoke the ball and could move well for her size. And talk about a great target at first base. NAIA schools in the area wanted her for softball. I know it is just 1 case, but I think it is a good example.
I definitely think multi-sport is good, but it needs to fit the kid and the family. Grades and good study habits should always be top priority. IMHO I do not think elementary kids should play one sport year round. I don't like travel or club coaches that put pressure on the kids that age to do it. I always wonder if they are doing it for the benefit of the kid or themselves by believing they will be able to get more wins. So many positives for kids that age playing different sports that require different skills. Jennie Finch was captain of her basketball, volleyball and softball teams in high school. Lauren Gibson played soccer and basketball. It can be done. As someone else stated, lots of different answers could be given and all could be right.

Mar 18, 2014
Georgia
My daughter starts on the varsity basketball team and is committed to softball year round. She plays basketball because it's fun and she gets to compete. She stills does fielding and hitting in the winter around her basketball schedule. The college she is committed to loved the fact she is involved with basketball and like her athleticism. Her friend dropped basketball in high school to concentrate on softball only and she will be playing at Mississippi State next year. I am sure that they weren't concerned she didn't play multiple sports they just loved that she kills the ball. Both kids went different routes to end up in the same place. Oh and both kids have maintained a 4.0 in high school which only helps there stock in the eyes of college coaches. My personal opinion is I like multiple sports especially basketball because it gives me some games to go to during the winter. :)

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Being that the discussion is does playing multiple sports make you a better athlete or not, I would say probably. Does being a better athlete allow you to play multiple sports I would say no. However it does allow you to play them on a higher more competitive level. Softball coaches at the college level are looking for instincts the things they can't teach. I always here playing other sports engages different muscle groups, well throw in some conditioning into your softball practice and you get the same effect don't you?

Straight from several D1,D2,D3 coaches in a recruiting seminar. "our teams GPA" They didn't say we have 7 girls who played field hockey they always mention grades. The other activities help your resume with the school and that's really about it.

The conversation about sports specialization being good or bad is pointless. It's a personal preference. It doesn't determine who is better suited for life or who is a better athlete. My DD plays softball because she loves it and she wants to play in college because she thinks it would be "AWESOME". She loves her teammates and coaches.

There is not a single non softball day in our house as she does something softball related 7 days a week all year long. Yes there are off days that pop up when something else comes around but rarely.

I also have a son who pretty much only wants to play video games and run. He did the multi sport thing and hated them all except the part when the teams had to run laps. Each kid is different there isn't a right or wrong answer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283