Inning Restrictions in HS Softball? Yes or No

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Our HS has 3 varsity pitchers on 3rd game rotations so we usually have plenty of rest. Mine has come in 7 times this year as a relief when things get dicey.*

Next year we will have 2 pitcher rotations. So a few more innings.*

I think the problem with alot of schools is the talent span between pitcher A and pitcher B. Everyone wants to win so naturally A is going to throw more than B.*

You'll never please everyone. Our catchers dad is a real nut. If his DD messes up it's because she's caught too much. ( HS tourney weekends ) Then you sit her out a game or two and she comes back in and messes up it's because she's not caught enough and her rhythm is off. *I just roll my eyes.*

Jan 25, 2011
Ask an ex HS pitcher who has life long limitations in range of motion what they think about playing more then what was healthy for their body. I think you will find regret there.
A kid is just that a kid,they dont think like a adult,they live in the now.""Yes,coach,I can pitch another game,yes I have another one in me,I dont want to let the team down"",thats the toughts of a kid that wants to be the best teammate that they can be.So I would have to guess that there are alot of ex TB,HS & College pitchers that have health issues due to over use,do I think we need to make rules,no,but we do need to educate player,parents,and coaches.

Oct 19, 2009
A nice generalization incapable of verification. My DD was #1 in TB, HS and college, and I'm in favor of limits. (Of course, my DD can't sleep on her right side because her arm hurts too much. But, who cares? I've got those memories from 10 years ago!)

Perhaps but this is a place to voice opinions. It would be tough to argue that the parent of a kid who is a 2 or 3 would like to see this rule mainly so their dd would get to pitch more.

Seems to me the parent has an obligation to speak to the coach when dd is being overused. What are you going to say when they do impose limits and it ends up being no more than 7 innings per week per pitcher?

Full disclosure: my teams have always had a stable of 3-4 pitchers and I spread the innings around. 9 innings is the most any of my kids have ever pitched in a day and that was a RARE day.

My point is that it should be up to coaches and parents to impose limitations. We don't need more RULES. I can see this happening in NFHS. Good luck in Travel though. "Oh, ASA is imposing inning limitations? Great, we'll just play NSA and USSSA from now on".

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
We don't need more RULES.

Sorry...but that is a little bizarre statement to make when we are talking about one of the most complex games every invented. Without the 200+ page rulebook, there would be no softball.

It would be tough to argue that the parent of a kid who is a 2 or 3 would like to see this rule mainly so their dd would get to pitch more.

Let me guess, you are also opposed to elitists...even though you believe only the elite have valid opinions.

Any thing to win type coaches for her?

And an anything to win type Crazy Daddy for a father.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
So, only people who should be allowed to voice an opinion are the parents of the best pitchers on the team, because they are the only ones who are unbiased?

I don't see where I said that or even implied it. Just suggesting that some of the opinions on this matter may not have anything to do with protecting children. Are you saying that this isn't possible?

Let me guess, you are also opposed to elitists...even though you believe only the elite have valid opinions.

Whaaaat?!?!?!?! You don't know me at all Sluggers.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I probably did go too far. You're right.

Isn't it equally possible that the parents of the #1 pitcher don't want inning limitations so that their little prodigy can pitch more?

Oct 19, 2009
I probably did go too far. You're right.

Isn't it equally possible that the parents of the #1 pitcher don't want inning limitations so that their little prodigy can pitch more?

Absolutely it is. And thank you. Maybe I could have worded it better. I do think there should be limitations but I don't think a cookie cutter model should be applied to every kid. I would just rather see the limitations applied by coaches and parents opposed to a regulating body. As a coach myself I take the well being of my players very seriously and would hope to see others do the same.

I have two DDs that pitch and my biggest concern by far has little to do with overuse. It's those comebackers that scare the hell out of me.

Apr 25, 2010
I am guessing that you are referring to the shot that Sami from Silver Creek took to the chest Sunday? She is one tough cookie.

Jul 26, 2010
Many schools are not very big, they may only have one kid who can pitch, and maybe even marginally so. Inning restrictions are just going to put HS ball for those teams on par with really bad rec ball.

It's not a bad idea, if the sport was more popular. It isn't, so start your crusade there. Once it's popular enough to where tryouts mean a hundred kids are trying out for the team instead of 20, then you can regulate the hell out of it if that's what gets your goat.

-W

Jan 25, 2011
Maybe it is not the rules that are the problem.IMO it is the coaches ,not all coaches,but bad ones out number the good ones.Lets face it anybody can slap on a hat grap a bat and say that they coach softball.It should be a requirement to take a test,both written and physical and be on a 3 year probation.Oh no now I sound like the Goverment.Lets face it there are no easy answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HCockell