Inning Restrictions in HS Softball? Yes or No

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I've said this before, so I'll say it again.*

There is NO strategy in pitching rotations in softball. Thus your problem and the answer. I think we can all agree from TB to HS to college the FP mule is rode hard until it collapses.*

Once someone is brave enough to change the mentality of the FP pitching approach things will never change. FP doesn't develop any "specialty" pitchers like we do in baseball. We choose ( baseball ) WHO we will pitch depending on anything from team *hitters to bringing in a pitcher for an individual hitter.*

I believe if there was a successful professional FP league, you would see more development of said "specialty" pitchers. But the current system there is no need for arms past early 20's, so throw them until they fall off is the "mentality".*

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Screwball, I'd like to know what kind of success you have had in changing a pitcher from the "slam the door" mode. I find it almost impossible to fix.

Jan 25, 2011
I doubt we'll ever see that happen because of the shortage of stud pitchers heading to the college ranks. Coaches are happy if they can snag one dominating pitcher who can keep them in games and win the close ones. They are not about to let themselves be handcuffed by inning restrictions.
I agree with your whole post,but this is the problem,every one of these coaches form rec,TB,and to HS.Will ride that stud pitcher and why are there less stud pitchers? because the other girls that were on that edge of becoming a stud pitcher were overlooked,because they never really got the innings to prove themselfs.One of are local HS teams started last year pitching a freshmen pitcher,the year before they rode a senior,senoir of course graduates and here the freshmen steps in "the coaches DD" I'am not saying she is a bad pitcher,but what about the other girls that had to wait for the senior to graduate? They never even had a chance to prove themselfs,because the coach rode that mule and once his dd moved up she will be the mule till she graduates so 4 years and no shot for anyone else.

Jul 26, 2010
Come on, Nano. If the pitchers were only playing HS ball then they didn't do anything to prove themselves.

I guess I'm just inherently against rules to protect people from themselves. It used to be that if someone was stupid enough to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, we let them, and then they died their stupid genes were removed from the pool. These days, everyone seems entitled to be protected from themselves, and we're well on the way to becoming a culture of drooling morons, considering people with IQ under 100 breed 12x faster then those with IQ's above 100.

I realize that pitching in softball is far removed from all of this, but it still ruffles my feathers the wrong way. Maybe it's just the closet anarchist in me.

-W

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I simply don't understand, SS.

We are talking about protecting children, not adults. There are many laws protecting children from sex abuse and physical abuse (and don't give me the story about some kid calling the cops because their Daddy slapped them...I've seen the cigarette burns and the broken bones. In one case, the child had so many burns that she came to court in body bandage.)

Are you and GD advocating that we toss all those laws protecting children because children should learn to live with the consequences of having a Crazy Dad for a father?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I agree with your whole post,but this is the problem,every one of these coaches form rec,TB,and to HS.Will ride that stud pitcher and why are there less stud pitchers? because the other girls that were on that edge of becoming a stud pitcher were overlooked,because they never really got the innings to prove themselfs.One of are local HS teams started last year pitching a freshmen pitcher,the year before they rode a senior,senoir of course graduates and here the freshmen steps in "the coaches DD" I'am not saying she is a bad pitcher,but what about the other girls that had to wait for the senior to graduate? They never even had a chance to prove themselfs,because the coach rode that mule and once his dd moved up she will be the mule till she graduates so 4 years and no shot for anyone else.
Not sure what part of the country you are in, but in GA 'stud' pitchers are developed in TB and have a pitching coach and LOTS of outside practice. If a girl expects to learn how to pitch while playing HS ball she is going to be disappointed unless there are no other pitchers available. HS coaches want to win games, so they are going to pitch their 'stud' as often as they can.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I've said this before, so I'll say it again.*

There is NO strategy in pitching rotations in softball. Thus your problem and the answer. I think we can all agree from TB to HS to college the FP mule is rode hard until it collapses.*

Once someone is brave enough to change the mentality of the FP pitching approach things will never change. FP doesn't develop any "specialty" pitchers like we do in baseball. We choose ( baseball ) WHO we will pitch depending on anything from team *hitters to bringing in a pitcher for an individual hitter.*

I believe if there was a successful professional FP league, you would see more development of said "specialty" pitchers. But the current system there is no need for arms past early 20's, so throw them until they fall off is the "mentality".*

IMO, you hit it on the head here - the difference is that there isn't a future for all but the top 3-5% SB pitchers after college. In MLB teams invest big $ in arms, so they monitor and protect them carefully to ensure that they get a 10-15 year return on their investment . Also, MLB can draft HS players - some sign, some go to college. The college coaches are aware that they need to preserve the integrity of the future MLB product so they follow suit w/ the Ps taking the college route. This awareness and protectiveness at the upper levels also extends to the lower levels. LL has their inning limits so the soft spot for BB really is HS and AAU. A coach of a HS-aged team who gets a rep for burning out pitchers won't be a coach very long or have Ps wanting to play for him. In SB, college is the end of the road for all but the elitest of the elite so the college coaches only need 4 years of arm work as there is no next level for most to have to worry about or answer to. Add to this is the myth that pitching a SB doesn't stress a pitcher's arm because its an underhand motion and you can see how the current state of affairs has developed.

Jan 25, 2011
Not sure what part of the country you are in, but in GA 'stud' pitchers are developed in TB and have a pitching coach and LOTS of outside practice. If a girl expects to learn how to pitch while playing HS ball she is going to be disappointed unless there are no other pitchers available. HS coaches want to win games, so they are going to pitch their 'stud' as often as they can.
I quess you and starsnuffer have missed the whole point of my post.In my area the girls that play TB ,do have pitching coaches and Iam not talking about girls that only play HS ball.The HS coaches do like to win,but that doesnt mean that they only have one pitcher and if you are the coach and your dd is a pitcher,it can look a little like daddyball.As far as protecting kids from over use then,I quess if a girl gets hurt from over use then,it all is her fault,not the coach that wants to win at all cost,right?

Jul 26, 2010
Most of the pitchers I know WANT to pitch. They're not being "forced" to do it by their coach. When I was a teenager I played guitar until my fingers bled and I rode dirtbikes until I ran out of gas or broke something (usually the equipment, not my body, but not always). I'd have hated for someone to tell me, "You can't do that. I'm older then you and presumably more wise, and that isn't good for you, so don't do it so much because I say so". . . . and that's really the jist of this idea, in a nutshell.

If a kid is being forced to do something, that's slavery. If a kid is being kept from doing what they love to do, well that's just sad. Youth is precious and short, and I doubt you'll find many people regretting doing what they love until they couldn't do it anymore.

-W

May 10, 2010
I agree with starsnuffer. I would like to know if any parents had the nerve to pull their dd off the mound from being over used at a tournament. The reason I ask is I have done it. Told the coaches that she picked up with: use her as you need, but when I say she is done then she is done. Pulled her from the stands in 2 championship games. In tb many parents are for the now and forget the big picture. I am not a fan of rules limiting innings or # of pitches. My dd is a work horse and will do what it takes at a tournament and I am proud of her and respect that about her. She would never ask to be pulled from being tired. Thats were My dd saves face and daddy comes across as jerk.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors