Inning Restrictions in HS Softball? Yes or No

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If a kid is being kept from doing what they love to do, well that's just sad.

My DDs loved to sleep late and not go to school. So, I should have just let them, because that is what they loved to do? One of my DDs loved to drive 60MPH in a 35MPH zone...I guess the police should have let her do that as well.

Adults impose limits on kids all the time.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Here is a perfect example of why this will end up getting legislated:

Box Score - LSUsports.net - The Official Web Site of LSU Tigers Athletics

Over a 15 innings game both coaches used only one pitcher each.

Arevalo from Georgia pitched 185 pitches and faced 44 batters
Fico from LSU pitched 255 pitches in the game and faced 52 batters.

And two days later they were back out pitching again. Normally they wouldn't have even got that extra day.

Oct 19, 2009
I think the last thing we need are more rules, regulations, and restrictions. How about an education initiative (this) and self government? For those who want to see restrictions, be very careful what you wish for - your idea of "reasonable limits" may be way out of whack with those who end up making the rules. This is just another example of the sissification of our society where people think we must legislate the risk from every aspect of our lives.

Another observation, it seems to me that the people most in favor of limits have a dd who is a #2 or #3 pitcher. Hmmmmmmm.....

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Another observation, it seems to me that the people most in favor of limits have a dd who is a #2 or #3 pitcher.

A nice generalization incapable of verification. My DD was #1 in TB, HS and college, and I'm in favor of limits. (Of course, my DD can't sleep on her right side because her arm hurts too much. But, who cares? I've got those memories from 10 years ago!)

Jan 25, 2011
A nice generalization incapable of verification. My DD was #1 in TB, HS and college, and I'm in favor of limits. (Of course, my DD can't sleep on her right side because her arm hurts too much. But, who cares? I've got those memories from 10 years ago!)
Any thing to win type coaches for her?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Here are two examples.*

1. BB
I've pitched a game Friday night, maybe an inning or two Saturday and the final game Sunday. Scout drives up to see me but misses the final game. I'm already past a "safe" pitch count. He won't even ask to see me throw just a few, he will ask WHEN he can see me again on day "X" at "Z" location.*

2. FP*
Girl has pitched a game Friday night, a game or two Saturday, a game or two Sunday. Scout drives up to see her Sunday but too late after the game ends. She's exhausted, high pitch count. Safe?? But she will STILL throw a few on an empty field for the scout.*

The BB example is true because I've lived it.*

The FP example is true because I've seen it.*

This is the sad mentality of softball and their pitchers.*

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Not sure where I stand on this issue. Right now at our HS there are 2 pitchers who equally share the duties, so my dd is pitching every other game.

If you had inning restrictions, perhaps more pitchers would be developed. Equaling more competition for playing time, resulting in better pitchers.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Most of the pitchers I know WANT to pitch. They're not being "forced" to do it by their coach. When I was a teenager I played guitar until my fingers bled and I rode dirtbikes until I ran out of gas or broke something (usually the equipment, not my body, but not always). I'd have hated for someone to tell me, "You can't do that. I'm older then you and presumably more wise, and that isn't good for you, so don't do it so much because I say so". . . . and that's really the jist of this idea, in a nutshell.

If a kid is being forced to do something, that's slavery. If a kid is being kept from doing what they love to do, well that's just sad. Youth is precious and short, and I doubt you'll find many people regretting doing what they love until they couldn't do it anymore.

-W

Ask an ex HS pitcher who has life long limitations in range of motion what they think about playing more then what was healthy for their body. I think you will find regret there.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors