If it was me coaching last night!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 11, 2009
So after seeing Ricketts gives up four hits in the eleventh inning and OU goes down 3-0 and I was Tennessee coach I would have taken Ellen out and put Ivy in for bottom of that inning. Both pitchers were tired and balls weren't breaking and they were staying over the plate. I know hind sight is 20/20 but I was thinking it right when OU went down 3-0.

Sep 18, 2011
People would be saying just the opposite if they had made the change and Ivy gave up a walkoff. Gotta go with your gut and Ellen had lost much at all.

Understood. It's obviously just my opinion and i acknowledge that the TN coaching staff has forgotten more about softball than I will ever know. But having just surrendered a three run lead in heart breaking fashion (costly error and then a few line shots), and given that the OK lineup was about to roll over again, and especially given that Ellen had thrown 180 pitches, I thought it was time to hand the ball to Ivy. Fresh arm, new look.

I also think it was madness to pitch to Miss Chamberlain with first base open. After the leadoff double, I turned to my wife and said "intentionally walking Chamberlain is the biggest no-brainer in the history of the world." And then I saw the catcher crouching and wanted to scream "NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" but it was too late.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
People would be saying just the opposite if they had made the change and Ivy gave up a walkoff. Gotta go with your gut and Ellen hadnt lost much at all.

I totally would have sent her out for the 11th. But she gave up a couple of hard hit shots in the gaps and over CF head. Yes the erro hurt but the other hits weren't cheapies. I would not have sent he back out for the 12th with OU getting redy to turn over their lineup.

But if his gut told him skick with Ellen, I won't crucify him either.

edit - I see 29dad covered all this ground already.

Mar 11, 2009
If you have the number one team in the country down three after 10 innings with possibly a half inning left in the game, you make the switch. Then pitching to Chamberlain was beyond bold or gutsy to maybe insane!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi