I need an intervention!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
First thing is to be sure that the injury is positively diagnosed. Do not guess, or let the doctor guess. An MRI is the best but your insurance company may object to that. Insist on one anyway!!!

If it's a meniscus tear it may be handled through arthroscopic surgery and thus avoid a long downtime.

In the meanwhile, take Perfect Circle's advice about instructing another player. Your DD could also instruct; that would keep her interested—and learning.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
Volunteer to help your daughters team and still drag her along to the games. I agree with Perfect Circle, coach the under coached.

Dec 7, 2011
Well I might have jumped the gun a bit.
DD woke up feeling really good and walking good.
I know we gotta be cautious but wow what a difference a night can make!

We have been getting PT (where she gets awesome treatement including ultrasound). SHe has been using a crutch. I have been K-Taping. We have been using a TENS unit. She has been icing. She has been taking ibuprofen. I am having her take glucosamine.

Am I missing anything? :)

Dec 7, 2011
Ya first GP doc said she had a strained MCL.

Second Ortho doc said it's not the MCL but it is either a bone bruise all the way to a torn meniscus. (knew I should have raced past the GP...)

MRI is gonna cost way too much and I read so much on MRI mis-diagnosis of meniscus with that so I am choosing not to.

Ortho doc said thay if it's a bone bruise that some "step" recovery might happen - this is where we are at and it appears that we have had a "step" happen.

We are watchin it like a hawk :)

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
RubberBiscuit...I've had this injury. I tore my meniscus working one day. My knee swelled up to the size of a small cantaloupe. After icing it all evening and sleeping the night fitfully, the swelling was much reduced the following day. By three days, the swelling had almost completely gone away. However, after some hard use on several occasions, the swelling reappeared. I finally broke down and went to the ortho. The exam followed and then an MRI. Finally, that dreaded word...SURGERY. I had the knee scoped and they cut out the tear. I woke up from the surgery and the knee felt great. It only took me about 4 weeks to rehab before I was 100% though I was told up to 6 weeks. I would strongly recommend an ortho and an MRI.

As an aside, if DD does have a tear and has to have surgery, follow the doctors advice about icing for the next 72 hours and staying off of it. Like a dummy, I didn't. I was coaching an 8U coach pitch team at the time and we had a game the afternoon of my surgery. The knee felt so good I went and pitched for the team and managed the game. I really payed for it the next few days. My whole left leg looked like a small tree and I had to wear sweatpants for the next week since I couldn't fit my leg into any of my pants!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
Ya first GP doc said she had a strained MCL.

Second Ortho doc said it's not the MCL but it is either a bone bruise all the way to a torn meniscus. (knew I should have raced past the GP...)

MRI is gonna cost way too much and I read so much on MRI mis-diagnosis of meniscus with that so I am choosing not to.

Ortho doc said thay if it's a bone bruise that some "step" recovery might happen - this is where we are at and it appears that we have had a "step" happen.

We are watchin it like a hawk :)

Get the MRI!!! Why take a chance on your DD's future health? Don't worry about what you read about MRIs; that's the doctor's business. What if it's a partial tear of a ligament? Major damage could be done without proper treatment!

Jun 1, 2009
Went through this last year with my DD. week before high school starts, she tore her ACL and meniscus. Had the MRI, etc. Ortho doc said she could play on it with a brace, the surgeon wanted to do surgery right away. I pretty much left it up to her. She wanted to try playing on it. Played the entire high school season and travel season with it. Had the surgery, end of August, by mid Jan, she was cleared to play again. They did ended up having to cut away part of the meniscus. She doesn't have any pain anymore from it. She will most likely end up having arthritis when he gets older, but it's in the family anyhow.

When it was first diagnosed, I did as much research as I could, about playing on it. Quite a few girls have tore their ACL's and continued to play on it. She was concerned about not being able to play in the exposure tournaments and Nationals. Because of her limited mobility, I had to move her from her primary position (SS) to outfield.
Long story short, with all the interest because the coaches saw her play, she hopes to be signed in early july.

The year prior, she hyper-extended her other knee at a tournament, sounds like what happened to your daughter. It was right before Nationals. She rested it, iced it, put my tens unit on it. She played the following week at Nationals.

If she does have a torn meniscus, it's not the end of the world. She will have pain there from time to time. Being that it's not her plant leg, she shouldn't have that hard of a time. Now that's assuming worst case scenario, that her meniscus is torn.

I'm sure some of you are going to jump on me for this statement. If it's a torn meniscus, and she can play with the pain, let her. If she wants to play sports, she is going to eventually have to learn to play in pain. There will be a lot of nagging injuries that she will have.

With that said, I would still get the MRI done.

Oct 25, 2009
Went through this last year with my DD. week before high school starts, she tore her ACL and meniscus. Had the MRI, etc. Ortho doc said she could play on it with a brace, the surgeon wanted to do surgery right away. I pretty much left it up to her. She wanted to try playing on it. Played the entire high school season and travel season with it. Had the surgery, end of August, by mid Jan, she was cleared to play again. They did ended up having to cut away part of the meniscus. She doesn't have any pain anymore from it. She will most likely end up having arthritis when he gets older, but it's in the family anyhow.

When it was first diagnosed, I did as much research as I could, about playing on it. Quite a few girls have tore their ACL's and continued to play on it. She was concerned about not being able to play in the exposure tournaments and Nationals. Because of her limited mobility, I had to move her from her primary position (SS) to outfield.
Long story short, with all the interest because the coaches saw her play, she hopes to be signed in early july.

The year prior, she hyper-extended her other knee at a tournament, sounds like what happened to your daughter. It was right before Nationals. She rested it, iced it, put my tens unit on it. She played the following week at Nationals.

If she does have a torn meniscus, it's not the end of the world. She will have pain there from time to time. Being that it's not her plant leg, she shouldn't have that hard of a time. Now that's assuming worst case scenario, that her meniscus is torn.

I'm sure some of you are going to jump on me for this statement. If it's a torn meniscus, and she can play with the pain, let her. If she wants to play sports, she is going to eventually have to learn to play in pain. There will be a lot of nagging injuries that she will have.

With that said, I would still get the MRI done.

They might have played with a partial ACL tear but they didn't play with a fully torn ACL. Playing with a partial tear also puts a player at serious risk for permanent damage. Very risky!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi