I need an intervention!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
DD hurt her knee 2 weeks before the start of the HS season doing stupid stuff in gym class of all things!.

Maybe torn meniscus.

I am beside myself.... All I want to do is punch stuff.....

What have any of you other "too-engaged" parents done to get your brain to a better place? I struggle each day to not show DD any frustration and/or anxiety but just show supportive "let's get ya better" emotions.

I wonder now what it will really take to get back to pitching.

(note that I am an "over-engaged" parent that has an addiction to watch my DD compete and I believe I am far from any kind of "helicopter" parent.... Actually if I was to be a helicopter parent DD would punch me in the nose! ;-) )

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Here is what I did. I joined the most competive and heavily scheduled slow pitch team, in the area. Playing a season, yourself, will put things back in perspective. Plane tickets, airports, hotel rooms and 4 games a day leaves little time to worry about what you wish someone else was doing.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Rubberbiscuit, try going through that for a year. It sucks, sucks, sucks. Mine had a torn cuff.

1. I agree with Amy, but even a local rec slowpitch team will give you a few nights of "something to do". Plus the rolls can be reversed and DD can watch you play. Mine got a kick out of watching me a couple of years ago. :)

2. It's almost summer time. Do yard work, fix the things around the house you keep putting off.

3. Do a garden, very time consuming but rewarding.

4. Do all the little activities with your DD you couldn't before because of a softball schedule.

5. Or you can do what I did, go crazy one bored weekend and run out and buy a $15,000 off road vehicle. Wife wasn't happy at first, but a year later she has already started speaking to me again. :)

1325292672_tmp_aqa.jpg

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I know exactly what you are going through. In December of DD's frosh year she was playing basketball in flats. We got a phone call from the AD telling us that her ankle was broken, the worst break he had ever seen, and the ambulance was taking her to the hospital.

anklepic.jpg

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
DD hurt her knee 2 weeks before the start of the HS season doing stupid stuff in gym class of all things!.

Maybe torn meniscus.

What have any of you other "too-engaged" parents done to get your brain to a better place? I struggle each day to not show DD any frustration and/or anxiety but just show supportive "let's get ya better" emotions.

(note that I am an "over-engaged" parent that has an addiction to watch my DD compete and I believe I am far from any kind of "helicopter" parent.... Actually if I was to be a helicopter parent DD would punch me in the nose! ;-) )

I thought teenagers were infallible so they could do silly things? Ask your daughter to make an exception and punch you in the nose! I am joking because I feel for you. This probably feels just as bad to you as her. And in truth, I have never suffered it. Let's hope this passes quickly!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I know exactly what you are going through. In December of DD's frosh year she was playing basketball in flats. We got a phone call from the AD telling us that her ankle was broken, the worst break he had ever seen, and the ambulance was taking her to the hospital.

View attachment 1872

I did the same thing in 7th grade playing basketball. Broke the right ankle. Then broke the left one same way ( coming down after a rebound ) in the 8th grade. After that I quit playing basketball, too rough a sport for me. I'd rather play football, never got hurt doing that. :)

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Is there a local travel team or rec league where you can help out? If Fastpitch is too hard to watch try a different sport, or volunteer elsewhere until she is better. Lots of organizations will accept short-term help.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

Maybe torn meniscus.

What happens if during this time off from softball she decides she doesn't love it as much as she thought? What will your response be if she says, I have really enjoyed all this time I gained by not pitching and I am not sure I want to do it anymore. What say you then?

Dec 7, 2011

View attachment 1872

OK - after this pic I am not thinking of me & mine anymore... Wow! - best wishes for yer DD too here.

So I think I avoided the major purchase today - Win 1.
I did do some good cleaning around the house (that needed it bad) - Win 2 (and the wife finally seeing value in me now too! ;-)
And the winner of distracting my feeble brain for the day => DOING TAXES! - Win 3 (but mostly a win for our esteemed government)

I am still on the board for a local TB team (that my DD was born from) - this was a good idea and I know this will help.

But now the thought of DD not doing something competative,........ OMG I can't even fathom that. Not for me, but for DD! She needs a competative outlet or I think she would go crazy.

Hey thanks y'all. Like many of you might know it's therapy sometimes to just talk about it......

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Sorry to hear this....gonna be something good that comes from it ! Just blurred right now. I was thinking, how about you be the intervention? Go make a worst player on some team the best. Make the #3 into #1. You already know how to ask all the questions, Find the one that there is no way they would have ever got the help but for this untimely situation... You just think on this...do what I do...just get in the recliner and fall asleep thinking about it....the lucky one will come right to you in the next 72 hours...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pfpsoftball1028