I just don't know why she just won't quit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
My daughter is getting ready to start rec ball... (snip) ...she wanted to earn playing time.

I think leaving was a good decision. I don't agree with this one though. Sorry rec ball!

If she wants to be good enough to earn TB playing time, she needs to stick with TB (on a team that will actually give her playing time). It sounds like she's working hard to try to catch up to the TB players and I just don't see that she'll be able to do that in rec ball.

I think leaving was a good decision. I don't agree with this one though. Sorry rec ball!

If she wants to be good enough to earn TB playing time, she needs to stick with TB (on a team that will actually give her playing time). It sounds like she's working hard to try to catch up to the TB players and I just don't see that she'll be able to do that in rec ball.
Unless she is 10U or younger, I agree. At 12U and above, she'll just be getting further behind every day if she plays rec ball exclusively.

Oct 8, 2014
Unless she is 10U or younger, I agree. At 12U and above, she'll just be getting further behind every day if she plays rec ball exclusively.

I did sit down and talk with my daughter and now she is saying she doesn't want to play travel ball unless it is for that team. The irony of the whole situation is how loyal she is to a team that didn't have a place for her in the lineup. She went back to saying that she wanted to work hard enough to prove she deserves playing time...and that she needs to get to a level where she is too good not to ignore. I do admire her loyalty but at what cost?

I did sit down and talk with my daughter and now she is saying she doesn't want to play travel ball unless it is for that team. The irony of the whole situation is how loyal she is to a team that didn't have a place for her in the lineup. She went back to saying that she wanted to work hard enough to prove she deserves playing time...and that she needs to get to a level where she is too good not to ignore. I do admire her loyalty but at what cost?
I admire your girl. I could only hope to one day have as much conviction as she does.

It's comforting to know that heroes still exist.

I wish she was on my team.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2012
Have you asked her how she is going to get to that level if the coach does not give her playing time? Finding a team where she will be able to play will help her improve.
I love the fact that she is so loyal but that team is not where she needs to be right now. She needs a team where she will play and coaches that will help her improve. Rec ball is not going to do that.

Unfortunately, what she wishes to accomplish is just not possible with the team in question. The coach won't give her the chance and that has been demonstrated over and over again. She cannot prove that she deserves playing time if the coach doesn't allow her to play. She cannot work hard enough if she doesn't have the chance to play. She cannot get to any level other than where she is now if she doesn't play, and this coach does not let her play.

This coach brings in other girls from other teams so he doesn't have to play your DD. He doesn't want your DD to prove anything, he just wants to replace her. While I admire her tenacity, I really see no way for this to work out unless she is willing to play for another travel team where she'll get some PT. You simply cannot improve without playing the game.

Find another travel team ASAP and have her start working hard there. If she gets better, than just maybe you'll have a good post for the "revenge" thread that is going on in another forum.

EDIT: Adding that your DD might just end up LOVING a new team where she is wanted, and more importantly, where the coach will work with her and play her and give her an opportunity and the instruction to get better. I can guarantee you that she will be a much happier girl if she can find that situation.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Unfortunately, what she wishes to accomplish is just not possible with the team in question. The coach won't give her the chance and that has been demonstrated over and over again. She cannot prove that she deserves playing time if the coach doesn't allow her to play. She cannot work hard enough if she doesn't have the chance to play. She cannot get to any level other than where she is now if she doesn't play, and this coach does not let her play.

This coach brings in other girls from other teams so he doesn't have to play your DD. He doesn't want your DD to prove anything, he just wants to replace her. While I admire her tenacity, I really see no way for this to work out unless she is willing to play for another travel team where she'll get some PT. You simply cannot improve without playing the game.

Find another travel team ASAP and her start working hard there. If she gets better, than just maybe you'll have a good post for "revenge" thread that is going on in another forum.

I agree with this ^ 100%.

I admire her determination, for sure. However, her goal will never be reached by staying where she is. Maybe try this...

Move to another team that will truly give her the opportunity and coaching to get better, and get so good that the coach of the first team is BEGGING her to come back.

Aug 8, 2010
Just an idea here. Maybe approach a well respected, established TB coach and explain the situation. Ask if she can attend practice, not for a tryout, but for an unbiased evaluation. He or she may be able to give you a critique on where she is and what it will take to get her where she needs to be.

Dec 29, 2010
There are many different levels of travel ball. Your dd works hard, loves softball and wants to play. Fact is you dont get better if you dont get circle/playing time. You can get hundereds of groundballs in practice or side work in the yard, its not the same with 1 out and a runners on 1st and 3rd b5 with time running out. It sounds like your dd is loyal to a fault. Bottom line is if your dd is not top 9 on any team she will not get as much playing time. Life is not fair, and an ugly truth is all teams are looking for that 12th and 13th player to help out with the cost of running their programs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole