I hate side toss, do you?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I use side toss, after much discussion with Hitter and learning the correct way. Contact him, if you want more ideas.

I physically cannot use the Hitting Stick with a very strong hitter, say 14 and up. It flies way too hard and jars my shoulders.

The TCB balls are self correcting and I start using them about 11, 12 years old.

Front toss is best, even if you use tennis balls. I do use a tee a lot, since MLB even uses that.

I love the tennis ball, and Chuck It drill and I learned it at the UofA camp. These professional camps are excellent, when you have a lot of questions about hitting.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Side toss is a valuable tool. So is a JUG's machine, or front toss. But like any other tools if it is not used properly they can be counterproductive. Blaming side toss for poor hitting performance is like blaming a sledge hammer for a damaged wall when hanging a picture.

Aug 1, 2014
Side toss is a valuable tool. So is a JUG's machine, or front toss. But like any other tools if it is not used properly they can be counterproductive. Blaming side toss for poor hitting performance is like blaming a sledge hammer for a damaged wall when hanging a picture.

I agree, for certain things it can be a good tool, but not when overused, I think tee work is preferred but then on begging hitters, like I get in Rec ball, side toss is a good transition from tee to front toss and pitcher.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I've seen major league batters hitting off a tee, a machine and front toss. Never seen one hitting side toss, or hitting heavy balls.

Not saying that proves those activities are bad, but it's interesting to note.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Can ypu describe the chuck it drill.

Go to your local WalMart or pet store and find a product called the "Chuck-It". It's basically a shaft about 25 inches long with a scoop on the end of it designed to hold a tennis ball. Dog owners use it to launch tennis balls long distances for their dogs to retrieve. Hitting instructors, (popularized by Candrea, I believe), use this as a tool to teach proper hitting technique.

For more info read this thread:

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-practical/10790-chuck-dog-fetch-drill.html

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I use side toss, after much discussion with Hitter and learning the correct way. Contact him, if you want more ideas.

I physically cannot use the Hitting Stick with a very strong hitter, say 14 and up. It flies way too hard and jars my shoulders.

The TCB balls are self correcting and I start using them about 11, 12 years old.

Front toss is best, even if you use tennis balls. I do use a tee a lot, since MLB even uses that.

I love the tennis ball, and Chuck It drill and I learned it at the UofA camp. These professional camps are excellent, when you have a lot of questions about hitting.

Please explain how the TCB balls are self-correcting. What is it you believe they correct?

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Please explain how the TCB balls are self-correcting. What is it you believe they correct?

The ONLY use I see for them is at a tournament that doesn't have any area for warming up hitting and you don't have a net with you. The TCB balls don't go anywhere. I guess you're not suppose to use them with two-piece bats.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

More accurately they provide instant feedback. Are they the end all for swing development? Probably not. Are they handy to use for warm ups and do they get players to hit through the ball? Yes. No tool is perfect and improperly used can be counterproductive.

IMO way too much effort is put into the pursuit of the mythical "high level swing". Mechanics are only part of the equation. Over the years I have been blessed with exceptional pitchers. The hitters that concerned us the most were not the ones with the pretty swings. Rather they were the confident, disciplined young ladies that fearlessly attacked the ball. Great mechanics does not make you a hitter, it makes you a better hitter.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
IMO way too much effort is put into the pursuit of the mythical "high level swing". Mechanics are only part of the equation.

That's very true!

The hitters that concerned us the most were not the ones with the pretty swings. Rather they were the confident, disciplined young ladies that fearlessly attacked the ball. Great mechanics does not make you a hitter, it makes you a better hitter.

BINGO!

I believe if I had my pick of a player with a beautiful swing but can't hit the ball due to lack of swagger and the one who doesn't necessarily have a pretty swing but has a ton of swagger and confidence......... Well, I think you know what I'd pick

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Maybe the hitter with the 'swagger' is the hitter with the 'beautiful'/HL swing because they have the HL/beautiful swing. Thous given them the confidence and the swagger. Show me a hitter that strikes out that has swagger going to the dugout. JMHO.
SWAGGYBASSDOG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi