I hate side toss, do you?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Yeah RDB, Don't know about you, but I haven't seen a girl with great mechanics that doesn't hit well.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
More accurately they provide instant feedback. Are they the end all for swing development? Probably not. Are they handy to use for warm ups and do they get players to hit through the ball? Yes. No tool is perfect and improperly used can be counterproductive.

IMO way too much effort is put into the pursuit of the mythical "high level swing". Mechanics are only part of the equation. Over the years I have been blessed with exceptional pitchers. The hitters that concerned us the most were not the ones with the pretty swings. Rather they were the confident, disciplined young ladies that fearlessly attacked the ball. Great mechanics does not make you a hitter, it makes you a better hitter.

Have had the opportunity to see many kids hitting with these balls. What they encourage is "pushing" through the ball. What they discourage is a proper release of the barrel through contact.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
That's very true!

BINGO!

I believe if I had my pick of a player with a beautiful swing but can't hit the ball due to lack of swagger and the one who doesn't necessarily have a pretty swing but has a ton of swagger and confidence......... Well, I think you know what I'd pick

We need fewer hitting coaches and more psychotherapists and Discuss Swagger Forums.

Dec 12, 2013
B.C. Canada
The side toss is an unnatural angle for the ball to be entering the hitting zone.
I stopped using it a few years ago because the girls would start locking out there
elbows before contact, making long sweeping swings instead of being short to the ball.
I front toss with wiffles and jugs indoor light flight balls, 15 feet away.
I will also front toss 2 different colored wiffles at the same time, and call a color to hit.
Yes there is the odd occation when there is limited space, so we add 1 extra tee station
to the 2 we do already as part of warmup.

PaPa Pump

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
Please explain how the TCB balls are self-correcting. What is it you believe they correct?

Please explain why you say it promotes pushing, if your swing is a push then it's a push, it would have nothing to do with what happens upon impact, at that point the work has already been done...it's over. Weighted balls are designed to help cure that exact thing that you say it promotes. Tcb balls are in theory supposed to promote driving through the ball.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Please explain why you say it promotes pushing, if your swing is a push then it's a push, it would have nothing to do with what happens upon impact, at that point the work has already been done...it's over. Weighted balls are designed to help cure that exact thing that you say it promotes. Tcb balls are in theory supposed to promote driving through the ball.

Bat/ball contact time with TCB balls is considerably longer than the bat/ball contact time for regulation softballs. The increased time allows for feedback to the body that doesn't exist when hitting regulation softballs. It is the longer bat/ball contact times that leads to pushing through the ball rather than releasing through the ball.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Bat/ball contact time with TCB balls is considerably longer than the bat/ball contact time for regulation softballs. The increased time allows for feedback to the body that doesn't exist when hitting regulation softballs. It is the longer bat/ball contact times that leads to pushing through the ball rather than releasing through the ball.

I hear what you saying and can picture what you are saying. Isn't the swing after the 'launch' a kind of 'push' through the ball at contact?
Sort of like this:
AP_3Balls1.gif

Maybe because of 'squishiness' of the TCB and that they kind of 'stick' to the bat make it look like a 'bad' push instead of power/pushing through extention/release.
I hope I made some sense?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Rdbass, in Papa’s post he correctly wrote of work already being done by contact. That is how a proper swing “should” work. When kids hit TCB balls they find that the longer duration of the bat/ball contact time allows them an additional opportunity to push … and what happens over time is that hitters modify their swing such that the work is NOT done by contact.

This isn’t an observation of seeing one or two kids modify their swing to hit TCB balls …. But the observation of a decent sample of 12A, 14A, 16G and 18G hitters.

The observation of desiring to drive the ball is correct. The players want this, the players in a sense compete to do this, and the coaches desire to see this ….. the desire is there ….. and given enough swings a player will tweak/modify their swing to accomplish this.

It isn’t like the TCB balls are simply heavier balls with the same bat/ball collision process. The bat/ball collision process is considerably different for TCB balls …. Which is what makes their use convenient … but at the same time, it can (and does) lead to hitters adapting/modifying their swing to account for the different bat/ball collision process.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
When kids hit TCB balls they find that the longer duration of the bat/ball contact time allows them an additional opportunity to push … and what happens over time is that hitters modify their swing such that the work is NOT done by contact.
Like I said here:
because of 'squishiness' of the TCB and that they kind of 'stick' to the bat
You have more experience with the TCB and coaching hitting. I understand what you are saying here and I agree.
but at the same time, it can (and does) lead to hitters adapting/modifying their swing to account for the different bat/ball collision process.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yes Rdb, the 'squishiness' of the TCB ball contributes to their convenience, but also to the significantly different bat/ball collision times.

It isn't just a 'look' of a 'bad push', but the actual encouragement of a 'bad push'.

Not only have I seen a significant sample of kids modifying their swings to hit TCB balls, but I have hitters that come to me that suddenly reserve energy in their swing to push hard with their hands/wrists, with a notable muscling action, through contact. When I ask why the change in their mechanics, they (and the parents) inform me that they've been hitting TCB balls.

The use of TCB balls is becoming popular. They are convenient ... but they are also different.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi