Husband isn't insterested--Help Guys!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I don't want to get into bashing him, I would just like some suggestions on how to get him more involved with a better attitude. But as Amy says, the guys on this forum are def. already into this very deep and probably don't understand it his resistance, so I will look elsewhere for suggestions. I am not offended and please don't be offended.

I was just looking for a guys side of it, maybe think of thing OTHER than softball that you weren't gung ho about and ways you figure out how to be for your kids?? Thanks again to all who read.

So my ex wife, re married a few years ago. My DD has been playing softball since 5 yoa. She was horrible when she started. I had the kid who was doing ballet in the outfield during games. We stuck with it and DD improved every year. My ex's new hubby is way into baseball. He coaches his nephew's teams every year. Now that my DD has gotten to where she is considered a very good player, you would think her new Step Dad would at least take a little interest in his step DD's hobby. He doesn't even bother to go watch her play. For some reason, he would rather watch his nephew's practice or play than a softball game his own step DD is playing in. I have NEVER said a word to anyone about it, and as a matter of fact think he is a really nice guy. He just cannot enjoy softball at any level. Now he does go to the occasional game that is local, if there is no conflict with his schedule. He will cheer her on or tell her she did a good job. It has just become obvious that he just does not like softball. He is very baseball smart. I told DD she should have him help her with her swing years ago. She just said he is too busy. Point of all this, maybe your husband is one of those guys. No matter what he sees or experiences, he may never enjoy the game. I don't understand it, but have seen it with my own eyes.

Nov 29, 2009
Point of all this, maybe your husband is one of those guys. No matter what he sees or experiences, he may never enjoy the game. I don't understand it, but have seen it with my own eyes.

Sums up exactly how I feel about soccer. I've tried to watch it a couple of times. Get about 3 minutes into it and lose absolutely ALL interest in what's happening on the field. When I ride passed a soccer field all I can think is what a waste of good outfield grass.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Sums up exactly how I feel about soccer. I've tried to watch it a couple of times. Get about 3 minutes into it and lose absolutely ALL interest in what's happening on the field. When I ride passed a soccer field all I can think is what a waste of good outfield grass.

Although I tend to agree with this, if my DD was playing, I'd have a VERY different opinion of the game. Thankfully, my older DD's interest in soccer lasted less than 1 season.

Nov 29, 2009
Yea it was an attention getter for me!! Almost p.m. my number over!!

Alright!! Giggity, Giggity, Giggity......

Ok... Ok... Get your mind out of the sewer and back in the gutter where it belongs. heheheheh

Aug 20, 2013
Thanks for lightening the situation. :) It is pretty stressful, but I will work through it. Naughty boys!

Dec 28, 2011
My DH is very involved in DD's softball, comes to every practice, game and takes her out hitting, and to various lessons. I am very grateful. The two of them are very close. However, they each have very strong personalities, and she hasn't over the years taken his "instruction" well. (yes, a lot of eye rolling and then things escalate into a fight between the two of them). He is very analytical, and feels the need to "correct" any issues that he sees with her swing, etc. (I see his point; we pay good money for lessons, and to see her fall back into old habits is frustrating!!!) The problem I have is that he will go on and on and on until she is mad, crying, etc. and then I feel the day is ruined. I feel that after a bad game or tourney, DD feels bad enough, and just try to make her feel better and be supportive. The funny thing is, is that when I tell him that he's being too hard on her, and to "let it go" , she ends up mad at me! They just have their way of dealing with each other. It took me a long time to back away and let them do their thing. I think she really needs and thrives on both parenting styles, as she knows we both want what's best for her.
GG, you may have to be the one who initially plays the bigger role with your DDs sports. Coaching and working with them may not be his thing right now. I agree with others on here that your DH's presence is what is needed, and may grow from there. Hopefully he goes to watch their games? Our roles change in various stages of their lives. Enjoy the ride as best you can, it is a roller coaster for sure! They grow way too fast.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd