HS Team & giving lessons?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
A "friend" of mine has a daughter who plays for a high school team. She has been asked to give pitching lessons to a 9 year old player who is just starting the game of softball. We were told today that this might violate IHSA rules and put her high school playing at risk if she does this. Does anyone have experience with this? My "friend" wants to know before giving a lesson and getting his daughter into any problems.

Nov 29, 2009
The OP doesn't come out and say it directly. I believe they are worried about if the player takes $$ for giving the lessons.

I really doubt giving a lesson or working with a player is against the rules. However, directly accepting cash for the lesson may cause problems for a player. The best place to look is the IHSA web site or email them directly.

Nov 14, 2011
She will be donating her time so money isn't the issue. She is helping a daughter of relation to her family. She is just worried that doing this outside of the high school team would violate any rules that will cause problems.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Each school has a compliance officer which often is the AD. So, have this family just ask. I can't think that this is against the rules and I don't recall ever encountering this problem. However, if a student gives a lesson for donations and does not set a price per lesson, I don't know how this would be against any rules. When this student athlete files for the NCAA Clearinghouse, they will be asked if they have been paid to play. This would not qualify in that regard as well. JMHO!

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
I know a girl who is now a D1 pitcher. Her senior year she was giving pitching lessons as a summer job. She had to pay everyone back so not to be in violation with UIL rules. Stupid rules if you ask me.

Nov 29, 2009
She will be donating her time so money isn't the issue. She is helping a daughter of relation to her family. She is just worried that doing this outside of the high school team would violate any rules that will cause problems.

If you are in Illinois there is no rule to stop a player from teaching a younger girl. She is not playing/practicing with her travel team. She can do most anything she wants to. The don't own the players, though some HS coaches think differently..

She can take private(pirate) pitching, hitting or fielding lessons so long as there are no more than two players from the same HS team there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1