HS drama is fun ...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 4, 2012
Yes, that's part of it. Her arm is good for a freshman, but just ordinary on a team of travel-ball experienced upperclassmen. Her power is not conspicuous because she is a slapper. In travel ball, she's a very quick, sure-handed, accurate-throwing second baseman. At the plate, she's a legit triple-threat slapper w/ very good speed. Not HR power, but she can put the ball in the gap, so it's hard to defend her. Not to be patronizing to her HS teammates and their parents, but they have not really seen a really good slapper and can't fully appreciate what they're looking at. It's not about what you can do, but how reliably you can do it. HS teams struggle to get her out, and it's only going to get tougher as she ages.

This brings a different dynamic. If a senior can't be as productive as her as in on-base % and her ability to move runners, then it's important for her to be in the offense.

Mar 18, 2014
Georgia
I think an underclassman needs to be head and shoulders better than an upperclassman to fill her spot. Underclassmen can play JV or wait their turn if their abilities are similar, Upperclassmen will probably quit if benched. And while that may not be a big deal in some areas, we are luck if we have 20+ girls for tryouts and a lot of players have to play JV and V.
our freshman year coach started 5 freshman. The year before we got there they won region several upper class girls quit after she started 5 freshman but it worked out for the coach she has won 3 straight state championships with those 5 girls and looking for 4 in a row their senor year. I say the best 9 play and if your not in the 9 work your butt off to take one of the spots. Competition is a good thing Iron sharpens iron.

Feb 12, 2014
So, you are saying that a freshman that has the same ability and work ethic as a senior should start over a senior because in all-likelihood they will one day be better than the senior?

Pretty much. If two girls are the same player, I would say that the younger one has the higher ceiling and should play.

Feb 3, 2011
Defense may win championships, but offense gets you into the starting lineup. If this player is already being recruited by major schools, there's probably a good reason for it. And if she's getting on base in 2 out of every 3 plate appearances, then the coach is obviously doing the right thing by playing her.

Dean Smith was progressive. He didn't believe freshmen should be eligible at all. He believed you built better humans that way. He was right, of course, but that's a different story for a different day.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Good luck explaining that one to the AD and administration...

I don't explain anything to anyone about who plays. I make the lineup. I expect to be treated as a professional and trusted by my administration. If it comes down to anyone trying to tell me who to play, I have a lot of other things I can be doing and teams I could be coaching.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We hit at school on Sundays for 1 hour. The seniors (if they) show up, are there for 5 minutes. Walk in, hit off the machine and leave. My daughter spends 30-45 minutes of T work prior to getting her cuts in on the machine. She is doing this 3-4 times a week, The seniors show up on Sunday. The seniors, if they are not hitting, are sitting in a corner socializing and watching my daughter put her work in. This started in December. About 6 weeks ago a freshman girl joined my DD and does the work with her. The 9th grader has improved a ton in the last 6 weeks. Its fun to see. A lot of these senior parents can say my daughter put the time in by going to the gym to hit. Ya they were there (briefly), but they didnt put much time in.

Just out of curiosity, how do you think your DD would feel if she put in all of the hard work you describe as a freshman and sophomore only to be benched as a junior because a hotshot freshman took her spot?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Some of the people on this thread are going to have a --WONDERFUL-- time if/when their DD plays in college.

You can discover a whole new level of unfair you were previously unaware of.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad