HS Ball Check in...How's it going?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Its the getting it right time that I worry about. Most kids don't have the luxury of being perfect before thrown into the fire.

If I only have a short window of time to work with a kid, I'll focus on stance and protecting the throwing hand. Part of protecting the throwing hand is catching one-handed, which goes against what every kid is taught when they first start playing catch. I will get into a NR stance and simulate catching the ball with my hand flying up next to the glove, and freeze at this point. I ask them what THEY think will happen if there is a foul tip (busted fingers!). This has never failed to get them to understand - clearly - the importance of protecting the throwing hand. WAY more often than not, their old habits disappear quickly.

Jun 26, 2010
Surprised team has not missed a game yet due to weather. Played three games at a combined score of 70+ to 1. DD is on JV1 this year. She has been moved to the outfield which we knew would happen because too many infielders and she has a strong arm. She is losing her desire to play very fast because opposing pitching is awful. She brought up playing Lacrosse next year.

I don't get it. How do these teams have such good varsity teams but the JV level so bad?

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DDs team got game 2 and win 2 in today with a press guy in attendance. By the time I picked her up from school and got home she had her first ink. She acted pretty cool about it but I could tell she was kind of jazzed. I know Dad was. Maybe next time they mention the fact she is a freshman. :)

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Has anyone with a HS age dd had the issue of upper class men getting starting spots over the sophomores and freshmen. Regardless of skill levels and experience?
If a freshman or sophomore has played 2nd for example since she was 8 yrs old at a travel ball team level and has proven herself repeatedly in practices and scrimmage games as being the clear and obvious choice for that position. Why on earth would a coach start another kid who has no experience at that position? But because she's a senior, she is automatically given the spot despite the fact she's clueless there?

Oct 10, 2011
Has anyone with a HS age dd had the issue of upper class men getting starting spots over the sophomores and freshmen. Regardless of skill levels and experience?
If a freshman or sophomore has played 2nd for example since she was 8 yrs old at a travel ball team level and has proven herself repeatedly in practices and scrimmage games as being the clear and obvious choice for that position. Why on earth would a coach start another kid who has no experience at that position? But because she's a senior, she is automatically given the spot despite the fact she's clueless there?
We don't have any "upper class men" on the team:) DD wishes we did though!

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
Played two games about 2 1/2 hours south of here, first outdoor practice is tonight thanks to a small but dedicated group of parents who have been snow blowing and shoveling the fields for a couple of months (We will have the first playable field north of the twin cities area with the others in the area being about two weeks away). First home game on Friday and there will be two feet of snow everywhere but the field.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
We have that at 1 spot BUT the kid that could play in that spot is on the field so we end up with the same 9 kids on the field. The younger kid is a better athlete whether at their primary or in the OF so it's a trade off. Does that make sense?

Oct 10, 2011
Our coach said that he wants the seniors to have a great experience as this is their last year in HS softball. He wants to win of course, but the upper class players will get the nod unless the younger girl is really outplaying them.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Hard to imagine not having played yet or waiting to play first home game. For the majority of teams in Florida the season ends next week.

Jul 10, 2012
Here in the Northwest we are about 1\4 way through the season, varsity is 8-0 JV is 7-0. DD (freshman) has played catcher, 2nd, pitcher, on JV and has been on the varsity roster about four times but has mainly been used as a runner. She did get to hit in one Varsity game before the mercy rule was applied. She is waiting for her chance and loving the dugout, very little drama with the varsity, a lot more with the JV. And only one rain out, keeping our fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors