HS Ball Check in...How's it going?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
How's everyone's High school season going? Check in and let us know...
DD...Fielding is going great and hitting, not so much LOL. No drama on the team after a tough start, which is the best news!
Team is 3-2 with 3 games going on this week.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
What's softball?
tumblr_m73c6pTMxu1r3r3mv.gif~c200

May 24, 2013
So Cal
15yo DD's JV team is bad...really bad. There are only a couple of kids on the team that have ANY softball experience. My DD is pitching for the the first time in her career. She's not very fast, but she doesn't make a lot of way wild pitches. She has proven to be equally ineffective as the other pitcher who has been pitching for many years. We start work with a pitching coach this weekend. Knowing my DD's work ethic, she will improve quickly.

EDIT...

So far, her team is 1-3. The one "win" was a sad and boring walk-fest. DD's team scored 21 runs on 4 hits.

The two "coaches" are only a couple of years out of HS themselves, and most of the advice offered is generally misguided or flat-out terrible. With the HC's permission, I gave some stance and receiving advice to the two catchers (who were both up on their toes, and not protecting their throwing hand). My DD told me a few days later that the HC instructed them at their next practice to be on their toes so they would be "faster to the ball". One catcher has gone back to what the HC tells her, and the other (who usually catches for my DD) has stuck with the NECC-based advice I offered because she understands WHY it's better.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2014
Freshman daughter playing second/ batting second on varsity. Fielding great, starting to look like herself at the plate. Team is 4-0.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
No complaints, none. Coaching is knowledgeable and enthusiastic, chemistry is good, parents are good. Pitching is solid, fielding is solid with moments of greatness, hitting is OK with a few standouts(one of whom shares my address).
Rain has made a mess of the schedule(nobody complains about rain in CA), hoping they pick up where they left off. 80's this week.

IF the TB coach can stop pouting about HS ball, everything will be golden.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
One win and 2 called. Another on the schedule for tomorrow but it's anybody's guess about the field. DD says the OF is like a sponge that needs to be wrung. Other than that it's going well.

The arch rival has been beaten. DD is successfully hiding the fact she hasn't played SS in a few years thanks to her pitcher who forces everything to the right. DD even hit a quadruple. A quadruple you say? It started as a grounder that rolled to the fence, normally a double. Retreived by a slow moving fielder, a Triple. A catcher who wandered 12 feet infront of the plate waiting to get the throw, a quadruple. Not really an in the park homer, no real errors just a couple of bases I was not expecting.

We need some heat for evaporation. 46F ain't cutting it and DD says the Dimarini CF4 has died but I won't let her use the Xeno.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Question:
How do you protect the throwing hand? I hate when kids glue that hand behind their backs.

Eric: I run into this a lot and don't mean to be mean, but I have to say this. The pitching lessons needed to happen months ago. So now you need to get or hope the coach allows the learning to go on during games, even if some bad stuff happens. My JV allows it and gets reamed by other parents.

OILF - commendations, not criticism is in order. Eric's DD is a catcher who is being a true team player and trying to learn to pitch because no one else can!

Eric - congrats to your DD stepping up to help the team this season. Hopefully there are real pitchers in her HS future so that she can get back to catching!

ETA - re protecting the hand, take a look at the NECC or ACC websites that are referenced frequently in the DFP catching forum

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric: I run into this a lot and don't mean to be mean, but I have to say this. The pitching lessons needed to happen months ago. So now you need to get or hope the coach allows the learning to go on during games, even if some bad stuff happens. My JV allows it and gets reamed by other parents.

My DD wasn't pitching months ago. There was a while that it didn't look like she was going to be able to play at all due to her class schedules. Once she got her academic stuff sorted out, she expected she was going to be playing 2B and RF, which she has played for years. The JV coach asked her to pitch just shortly before the season started, and she accepted the challenge. At this point, the whole team is learning, and having my DD take a couple of steps back in her progress isn't really much of a step back at all from where she is currently.

Jun 24, 2013
I have told this before but a C on DD’s Team never pitched before and was recruited to pitch. Really good C, not so much pitcher but you work with what you have. She handled it really well, one of my favorite players.

League ball is starting again and she will not need to pitch. :)

(By the way the only parent that was annoyed their DD was not pitching enough was the first ones helping her learn how to pitch. Good thing by the way, was not meant as a negative. DD plays with some great families and players)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors