How much game time for a catcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
She went from hitting balls to the fence in the beginning of the tournament to barley being able to get the bat around.

That means she was way too tired!

DD's coach is sharp and made the connection right away that when DD gets too tired, she loses the zip in her bat too.

TippyToo

Tiffany💋
Jun 4, 2013
Santa Ana
My 9 year old just began her all star season and caught all 7 games this weekend until I asked the coach to give her a break. She is throwing girls out every game and already replacing her knees to block. We have 5 more tournaments and I feel like I need to be the voice of reason so her catching career isn't over in 8u. What is realistic (she didn't want pulled) for the next 5 weeks for play time? Don't want to overstep my bounds but want to make sure she safe...

Interesting this is my 9 year olds first All-Star season (8U) and in our first 2 tournaments she has catched all but 2 innings in a total of 9 games in 2 weekends. The #2 catchers parents approached me after and said it was selfish for us to continue to let my DD keep playing so many consecutive games. I am the first to say that my DD has lots to improve and i tend to under rate her as a catcher, but the HC believes that All-Stars is all about winning and my DD is the best catcher on our team. Developing players takes place during Fall ball and Spring. I kind of agree on that. My DD is a trooper and loves catching. She has not complained once and I have been very consistent in checking how she is feeling. I personally believe that this is a great learning experience for my DD. maybe I'm wrong but my DD has been catching since T-Ball and taking private catching lessons since 6U and until I hear from her about fatigue, pain or discomfort I will continue to let her play in that position for 2 or 3 consecutive games right now.

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
I can tell you down here in Georgia, when the temps hit 100 or above and 90% humidity, you HAVE to have at least 2 catchers, preferably 3.

We are having the opposite problem, one of our catchers dad told us she won't be back next year because she isn't getting enough catching time. He actually wants her to catch every game, we tried to tell him that the 100 degrees was coming and she doesn't need to catch every game, but he didn't want to hear it. She'll be done well before high school.

Sep 17, 2009
Thank you all! The coach isn't the easiest guy to talk too.... My husband (gently) approached him and he got irritated. She went from hitting balls to the fence in the beginning of the tournament to barley being able to get the bat around. The last two nights at practice I asked him to keep her off her knees and I don't think he was to happy about that...

Warning sign. You are totally reasonable and he is being a hard @ss. With 9U kids. Won't be the first problem with this guy, I bet.

You've got the right idea, always watch out for your kids.

I am with mylil but maybe it is a regional thing, here in San Antonio it is impossible in the middle of July with temp at 100 and humidity high to have only 1 catcher, maybe if you stay in winners bracket and get breaks between games maybe, but that 5 game ride up the losers bracket from 11am to 7pm without a break is simply impossible. Usually try 2 games on and one off, with maybe #1 coming in at end of game if #2 is struggling, usually the catcher actually sits in shade and does not play field, if she is a good stick maybe just DP or EP if allowed.

Needs to be a priority to develop a solid #2 catcher

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
I think child labor laws need to be applied to 8U TB catchers

:cool: Good one GM.

Down here in good ol' TX, my DD used to catch several games in a row in 100+ heat. I used to regularly tell her to suck it up. Definitely a mistake in hindsight. Mostly because I used to forget to bring towels for the mud that was on her from being behind a dusty plate and gallons of sweat. Used to mess up my car seats. Ok, so that was a feeble attempt at some humor.

She plays in college now and on days with DH's the coach won't even let her catch back to back, and this is up in the NE too. I think she's getting soft. ;)

One thing I learned during all those years as coach/parent was to begin nearly force hydrating her starting Thursday evening. It did help, especially in the later years. Just get into the habit of doing it (for any player that plays multiple games on weekends) and they will start doing it on their own before long. It does make a difference.

Apr 19, 2013
We had that issue of the HC catching our DD every single game..we told him that she had to have a break. He said he didn't want to take away her game time..we told him we were ok with that and that she had to rest her knees and also she can play other positions. He never would pick up another catcher. Needless to say we are not with that team any longer.

Make sure she ices her knees every night. It will help, especially after a long day at the park or lessons.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
GI Tom makes a great point with hydrating before the weekend. Catchers can bee prone to muscle cramps, usually a combination of overuse and dehydration. Also, 7 games is far to much for a weekend. Its a long haul getting to 18U and beyond as a catcher. Pace and injury prevention is key to her longevity.

My DD's team has to catchers, No #1 and #2. Games are alternated regardless of it being a Friday night game or Sunday afternoon game, unless one is injured or is playing incredibly better than the other. Whats great about this system is that the catcher is alwats rested, and can jump into key situations being physically and mentally sharp.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG