Hitting lesson the day before tournament

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 1, 2021
Excuse the potential overthinking and silly parent question here but is doing a hitting lesson the evening before a one day tournament a bad idea?

10u player who when she connects can drive the ball in the gap but she is in a big time hitting funk. Late, lunging, all the bad habits. The only time we could potentially get her in for a lesson is the evening before a single day tournament.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
Excuse the potential overthinking and silly parent question here but is doing a hitting lesson the evening before a one day tournament a bad idea?

10u player who when she connects can drive the ball in the gap but she is in a big time hitting funk. Late, lunging, all the bad habits. The only time we could potentially get her in for a lesson is the evening before a single day tournament.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
I know some players that purposely do this. It isn't a miracle cure but I don't see the harm. The only potential issue, which probably isn't a big deal in 10U, is if you get into this schedule (and it is hard to get other days with the hitting instructor) and then have to travel the day before a tournament..

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019
My 10yo plays a lot of tournaments that start on Fridays, so I usually try to get her lesson in on Thursdays. My thought is any adjustments are fresh in her mind when the tournament starts.

Oct 4, 2018
We prefer hitting lessons on Tuesdays. I don't like to do anything Mondays, but do want to have lesson to discuss and work on things from the weekend tournament.

Then we have several days to work on our own on the things we learned in the lesson. So play tourney, rest, go to hitting lesson. At hitting lesson get drills and fix things from tourney. Then 2-3 days to work on them before next tourney.

We like to spend Friday nights (most often the night before a tourney) hitting in the cage for 15 minutes and that's it. I do my best to replicate the pitching we expect that weekend (as we know most all the teams in the Southeast and who will pitch against us).

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
If she was on a hot streak; no ... She's in a funk, you got nothing to lose and everything to gain; go for it.

Jan 22, 2011
My DD was in a slump when she was 12. Brought her to her hitting coach two days before a tournament and he fixed two minor things and she hit over .700 for the weekend with multiple extra base hits. She moved from 8th in batting order to 3rd and stayed there for the rest of the summer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad