Hip Isolation Drill - Jim Booth

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2011
I was reading a baseball thread, and they were talking about the Jim Booth Hip Isolation Drill, but the video example of the drill was taken down.

FiveFrameSwing was involved in the discussion, was wondering if he, or another could share the drill?

Thanks ahead of time.

May 16, 2010
I was reading a baseball thread, and they were talking about the Jim Booth Hip Isolation Drill, but the video example of the drill was taken down.

FiveFrameSwing was involved in the discussion, was wondering if he, or another could share the drill?

Thanks ahead of time.

Here is a link to it.

It is similar to other drills for hip action, but I like to put the bat on the front side of the hitter.

Like any drill, the instructor needs to explain what is trying to be accomplished, why it is important, and how to do it correctly. When I have a student in person, we go over HOW to do this drill, in more detail than I state in the video.

http://firstpickclub.com/video/hipdrill.wmv

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Jim
Is that you in the video? If yes then good to put a face with the poster.
Looks like a good drill.
I like the way the feet work and back knee

Straightleg

Oct 19, 2009
I like the hip drill, I’ve always used the drill with the bat behind the back and held in the elbows. I don’t know if one way is better than the other. The drill has a good purpose to fire the hips. I hate it when I see someone doing a drill that I feel is just to kill time. The drill should have a purpose and kids should be made aware of the intent of the drill.

May 16, 2010
I like the hip drill, I’ve always used the drill with the bat behind the back and held in the elbows. I don’t know if one way is better than the other. The drill has a good purpose to fire the hips. I hate it when I see someone doing a drill that I feel is just to kill time. The drill should have a purpose and kids should be made aware of the intent of the drill.

The reason I like the bat in front and placed right across the hip joints, is that it teaches a thrusting of the hip, and you must use your legs properly.

When you put the bat behind the elbows, it mostly just teaches them to twist, and they may not rotate properly. You can't use improper leg action with my method, and hit the ball.

With the bat behind the elbows, the student can straighten the legs, and/or slide etc. In my method, you have to put the tee at exactly the right height, and in the right place, and they have to use the legs correctly, or they won't hit the ball.

Oct 19, 2009
The reason I like the bat in front and placed right across the hip joints, is that it teaches a thrusting of the hip, and you must use your legs properly.

When you put the bat behind the elbows, it mostly just teaches them to twist, and they may not rotate properly. You can't use improper leg action with my method, and hit the ball.

With the bat behind the elbows, the student can straighten the legs, and/or slide etc. In my method, you have to put the tee at exactly the right height, and in the right place, and they have to use the legs correctly, or they won't hit the ball.

Jim thanks for your reply, I will give it a try how your video shows the drill. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1