High vs Low Catching Stance Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Wow! Lots of great stuff, thanks! We are totally new to catching and I don't think my DD will be throwing out any runners at second this year. She doesn't throw hard enough. She has always played second and she is used to making soft accurate throws to the infield. She has strong arms, and I know that she could throw harder, but even though we keep urging her to make harder throws, she still cant rear back and let it fly. She might as well use the runners on stance though as she will be throwing out runners in the future.

Focus on throwing and learn some of the drills and ideas that Austin has past on and things talked about in the throwing threads. My dd, and most others who worked it, have made huge leaps in throwing speed and distance, AND actually do it with less effort. Results can be seen in just a few sessions.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Wow! Lots of great stuff, thanks! We are totally new to catching and I don't think my DD will be throwing out any runners at second this year. She doesn't throw hard enough. She has always played second and she is used to making soft accurate throws to the infield. She has strong arms, and I know that she could throw harder, but even though we keep urging her to make harder throws, she still cant rear back and let it fly. She might as well use the runners on stance though as she will be throwing out runners in the future.

The RO stance has more advantages than just throwing. From RO, the catcher has a wider range of movement to get to the pitch, is faster to chase down wild pitches, and is in a more efficient position for blocking (when that skill set is ready to be used). Getting your young catcher comfortable with the stances, and understanding when to use them, is a step towards improving her abilities behind the plate. It also keeps them playing closer attention to the game, which is ALWAYS a good thing. Simplifying to make it "easier", or assuming that it's "too complicated" for a young girl, is an underestimation of what these awesome kids are capable of. Set the bar high, help them learn how to reach the bar, and watch as they quickly adapt and exceed expectations.

For throwing, follow RHC's tip and check out the throwing threads. The techniques taught by Austin Wasserman are the best out there, and have helped a lot of young kids develop rocket arms. Currently, my skinny 9yo DD is able to regularly launch throws of over 100', and easily throws on-target bullets to 1B and 3B.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Eric....these are all nice pics. One thing that caught my attention was the space between the Catcher and the Umpire.

Here is a pic of my DD catching this past weekend; notice the difference...the umpire is right on top of her. She actually talked to me about after the games....she felt it was too close.

I don't know if his set-up had any bearing...but this was the first game she ever got hit in her glove by a bat

Your thoughts....

Image 169.jpg

A couple more stance examples - my beastie, this time...

No Runners
1535753_10203702291184280_747542500_n.jpg

1464608_10203779596996877_213676956_n.jpg

Runners On/2K
1546238_10203702291304283_930879591_n.jpg

Looking at the stance of the ump, she's probably up a bit too early. Her target should also be lower.
1972349_10203779597516890_1475399987_n.jpg

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Eric....these are all nice pics. One thing that caught my attention was the space between the Catcher and the Umpire.

Here is a pic of my DD catching this past weekend; notice the difference...the umpire is right on top of her. She actually talked to me about after the games....she felt it was too close.

I don't know if his set-up had any bearing...but this was the first game she ever got hit in her glove by a bat

Your thoughts....

View attachment 5707

TJ - Although an umpire should get as close to plate as possible, the umpire in your shot is definitely too close and not giving the catcher any room to move at all; this probably influenced your DD to move too close and get clipped and called for CI. The umpire in Eric's pix is too far back - not as much an issue as when the catchers get bigger and make it more difficult to see the entire plate. Let your DD know that its OK to nicely ask the umpire to give her a little more space so that she can do a better job blocking and protecting them.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm with GM. The umps in my DD's pics are probably a little too far back. The ump in your pic is too close - it's actually a little bit discomforting to me to see an ump THAT close. Most umps I see (10U and HS) are somewhere in between. In 10U they tend to be a bit further back than HS. If an ump can infringe on the catcher's ability to move, then they are DEFINITELY too close.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Thanks Eric....BTW, you're a great contributor to this site; keep it coming.

Hey GM.....my DD that you saw at the cage (the one in the pic) had her 1st MS game today. Caught the whole game and hit a HR over the CF head. With her speed she was home b/f they got it back to the infield. Not sure if you're familiar with WHS field layout, but it reached the parking lot from the JV field. Knowing you saw her, I thought you might like to hear that.

T

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Thanks Eric....BTW, you're a great contributor to this site; keep it coming.

Hey GM.....my DD that you saw at the cage (the one in the pic) had her 1st MS game today. Caught the whole game and hit a HR over the CF head. With her speed she was home b/f they got it back to the infield. Not sure if you're familiar with WHS field layout, but it reached the parking lot from the JV field. Knowing you saw her, I thought you might like to hear that.

T

Congrats to your DD TJ. That it was to CF tells me that's she's a good listener and been working hard!

Jan 24, 2011
Here is a post that I read in another forum. Thoughts?

"I wrote a article on this subject a few months ago, I was trying to make a point. I dont think many belived me so I will write again on the subject of the difference between catcher in baseball and softball, some belive there is no difference, but I have a news for those, There is a huge difference. Baseball catcher can set up high because the ball come in high and breaks down. In fast pitch softball the ball comes in flat about the knees so the catcher must set up low to the ground so to catch drop ball or low fast ball also where she can block the ball up that hits the dirt. If she sets up high , not only she cant block a ball she also blocks the view of home plate from the umpire.[ I have been told this by many unpires]. If the uimpire can not see the ball, its a ball no mater if it is a strike. A baseball catcher sets up futher behind home plate so he can set up high. the softball catcher must be low, be still, and be quick. when a softball catcher sets up base ball style and at a angle, she has a very hard time catch a screw ball that breaks hard a quick, I have seen lots of stolen bases because the catcher can not get to that pitch. I could talk on this subject for days. Another note for those that think there is no difference. Watch college softball and see how many basball type catcher you see.. I have watch college ball for years. I have yet to see a baseball type catcher behind home plate. They all are low, still and quick. I also know several college coaches, they tell me if a girl is sitting up to high, they walk off. I have been around this sport for about 50 years and trained catcher for about 21 years. Every catcher i have work with has gone on to college if she has wanted to. I do not claim to be the best but by just being involved for so many years I learned this years ago. [ I am done venting]"

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Here is a post that I read in another forum. Thoughts?

"I wrote a article on this subject a few months ago, I was trying to make a point. I dont think many belived me so I will write again on the subject of the difference between catcher in baseball and softball, some belive there is no difference, but I have a news for those, There is a huge difference. Baseball catcher can set up high because the ball come in high and breaks down. In fast pitch softball the ball comes in flat about the knees so the catcher must set up low to the ground so to catch drop ball or low fast ball also where she can block the ball up that hits the dirt. If she sets up high , not only she cant block a ball she also blocks the view of home plate from the umpire.[ I have been told this by many unpires]. If the uimpire can not see the ball, its a ball no mater if it is a strike. A baseball catcher sets up futher behind home plate so he can set up high. the softball catcher must be low, be still, and be quick. when a softball catcher sets up base ball style and at a angle, she has a very hard time catch a screw ball that breaks hard a quick, I have seen lots of stolen bases because the catcher can not get to that pitch. I could talk on this subject for days. Another note for those that think there is no difference. Watch college softball and see how many basball type catcher you see.. I have watch college ball for years. I have yet to see a baseball type catcher behind home plate. They all are low, still and quick. I also know several college coaches, they tell me if a girl is sitting up to high, they walk off. I have been around this sport for about 50 years and trained catcher for about 21 years. Every catcher i have work with has gone on to college if she has wanted to. I do not claim to be the best but by just being involved for so many years I learned this years ago. [ I am done venting]"

This garbage sounds a lot like Petrock413

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma