Why are they using this starting Stance?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
It looks to me like she lands left of center so her feet are lined up more with that than they are with the plate.

Or it could be that it helps her get completely airborne.

Mar 15, 2019
California
This load is what my DD started doing a few months ago (feet start under the hips, but her left heel drops behind right foot). I asked her how that developed, because it's not something we work on. I noticed that if she doesn't focus on getting her energy forward, she over rotates and the ball goes wide towards the 3B side of the plate (she's a righty). It has not affected her speed, she has actually gained a couple mphs...

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
I specifically told her not to start with both feet in a line; our pitching circles aren't as nice as the ones Jordy plays on, so the possibility of tipping over while taking the sign is real.

I see this happen more often than it should and at various points. It’s kind of comical. No coach, I’m not calling her for an illegal pitch when the wind blows her over.

May 16, 2019
I started teaching this style about 3 years ago. There is more to it than just the stance and posture. She's no Jordy B.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I thought it would make pitcher tougher to time/ hit off her if she could mix up her deliveries. Sometimes sprinter and sometimes rocker.

Jun 8, 2016
I thought it would make pitcher tougher to time/ hit off her if she could mix up her deliveries. Sometimes sprinter and sometimes rocker.
Some baseball pitchers do this but it might be easier to be consistent with your mechanics doing this with an overhand delivery.

May 16, 2019
For Kayden it improved her speed and accuracy. She can get very early with the hip turning.

If your interested, here is a video of one of my newer students just starting lessons with me. Ava plays on our 12U team but had a pitching coach so I just made small suggestions. Mom after 6 months asked me to start working with her. The video is when she tried out in November and our 1st lesson a couple weeks ago.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Why are we seeing Top Level pitchers with a starting stance with one foot directly behind the other. Example Jordy Bahl, Alex Storako among others.

I do not see why this would be advantageous. I have not seen a pitching coach that suggests that starting stance and I do not know of any other sports besides fencing that would start an athletic movement with one foot in front of the other in a line.

AAXs9tA.img

Alex Storako starting stance

Perfect alignment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi