high school/rec ball barrier

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
I got sucked into running a 14u league this year and had a coach ask me today about the barrier that is supposed to exist between HS ball and rec/travel ball. I admit that I don't know exactly what the rule is. Can someone out there shed some light on the issue for me. Are kids allowed to play on a travel team or in a rec league when the HS season is in effect? Does it matter that the rec league is NOT a sanctioned league? Does it matter that a kid does not play (or intend to play) for the HS team?

This is in Ohio...I imagine the answer may vary from state to state.

Thanks

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Not sure how it works else where but girls on the HS team are not eligible to play in our rec league. Generally after HS has it's cuts each team in the rec league picks up 1 to 2 players who wanted to play HS ball but didn't make the team and still want to play softball. Our rosters generally start out with just 9 girls at that age and end with 10 or 11 so usually a lot of playing time to go around.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Call your athletic director and the state association and ask. Generally, a girl cannot play HS ball and on another team, too, If they aren't playing on the HD team, they can do what ever they want.

I am certain this question has been asked on the Ohio softball board. I would look there.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Osric, being fron NE Ohio, a TB coach and having my DD playing HS ball, these are the rules as they were explained to me.

A player that is playing ball on the HS team may only play/practice for that HS team while in season. The season starts the first day of tryouts and will last until the HS teams last game and the player is released...usually no later than June 1st. If a player is not playing for the HS team, they can play wherever they want and whenever.

After the season is over, a team may consist of any number of players from the same school as long as the coach is NOT one of the HS coaches from that school. If a HS coach is coaching the team, they are limited to no more than 5 (I heard it may change or already has to 7 IDK) players from their school.

Edit to Add: We had an entire local team get DQ for the whole season when not thinking two years ago. They played a game in a local slowpitch rec league and were caught. It was a new HS team program (first year) and the girls really didn't know the rules. Not that that should be an excuse since the HS coach had many years behind him and should have told them. Just a case of no communication

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
There is a limited amount of HS players you are allowed on a team, I think it is 5 for Ohio.

I'm in Indiana and the rules are very similar in OH... if the girls on the HS team are caught practicing or participating in ANY kind of non high school softball during the schools softball season, the penalties are severe!
The HS team will be forced to forfeit a percentage of all games played, they will be banned from tournaments, and the involved players will be athletically ineligible for ALL sports for the entire year!
If there are girls on your rec/travel team do not play on the HS team, there are no rules regarding them.
Bottom line is during the ball season, avoid any softball related events with the girls on your rec/travel team. After the season is over and its summer break, you can have as many as all 12 girls from the same HS. If you work with them during the school year,(but not during the school softball season) it cant exceed 5 players from the same HS

Last edited:
I'm in Indiana and the rules are very similar in OH... if the girls on the HS team are caught practicing or participating in ANY kind of non high school softball during the schools softball season, the penalties are severe!
The HS team will be forced to forfeit a percentage of all games played, they will be banned from tournaments, and the involved players will be athletically ineligible for ALL sports for the entire year!
Bottom line is during the ball season, avoid any softball related events with the girls on your rec/travel team. After the season is over and its summer break, you can have 12 girls from the same HS. If you work with them during the school year,(but not during the school softball season) it cant exceed 5 players from the same HS

WOW.... crazy.... in California we can practice with travel teams all during high school but can't play during season of sport (which is defined by first games with umpires = start of season of sport) ....I've heard all sorts of wives tales like you can only practice on Sundays etc. but there is no rule on practicing with your travel teams just can't plat games with them.

Jul 2, 2013
In South Carolina, a high school player can play for whoever/whenever they want in travel.

In general, the attitude is, a JV player is welcome to play weekend travel softball games. Can use more reps.

On varsity. Stay away from travel until the HS season is over. The stakes are too high, and the risks for the HS too much for injury/fatigue.

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
Would it make a difference if the girl were on JV rather than Varsity?

Since this is a 14U league, there are only a couple of girls who there might be an issue on anyways and those who are 14year old freshmen are likely on the JV team. If they are good enough for the varsity team at 14, I doubt if they'd even be interested in playing in this league.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad