high school question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
Tell your DD to smile, nod and try to do what the coach wants. After she makes the team and is playing in games do what she has been taught by the hitting instructor. If she is getting on base the coach should leave her alone. It sounds like the coach has a "God complex" and will not accept anything but her way. That's why you hear so many complaints from TB coaches and parents about having to undo 3+ months of HS ball coaching.

Just because someone played at the D1 level does not mean they automatically know the best way to coach. There are plenty of poor D1 players and D1 college coaches.

Dec 7, 2011
This might not be the most "transparent" approach BUT I think this is the fastest and most effective way to get around a pesky backward coach idiosyncrasy:

Tell your DD to give the HS coach the impression that she is trying to adopt the undesired behavior and is always "working on it" but never gets it.

In the end if the kid can hit she will get her spot on the starting lineup. Coaches always want the output more than the means. The HS coach will accept it as he/she will think that the kid is at least trying to comply....

This worked well more than once for DD on HS coaches and maybe even on me I bet! ;) .... I guess yer DD would need some level of acting skills too.....

You can go ahead and take a "higher road" and call this deceptive but I call it smart. IF your DD's goal is the next level it's a waste of time and energy trying to force-ably resolve these most-times stubborn HS coach issues.

Of course I recommend the above in these non-paying-coach scenarios but now that DD has a paid job of satisfying her current college coach I tell her and she does exactly what the college coach wants. It's different only in these cases where "it's your job".

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Tell your DD to smile, nod and try to do what the coach wants. After she makes the team and is playing in games do what she has been taught by the hitting instructor. If she is getting on base the coach should leave her alone. It sounds like the coach has a "God complex" and will not accept anything but her way. That's why you hear so many complaints from TB coaches and parents about having to undo 3+ months of HS ball coaching.

Just because someone played at the D1 level does not mean they automatically know the best way to coach. There are plenty of poor D1 players and D1 college coaches.

Yep ... well over 200+ D1 schools that never even see Regionals :cool:

May 7, 2014
Just because someone played at the D1 level does not mean they automatically know the best way to coach. There are plenty of poor D1 players and D1 college coaches.[/QUOTE]

The hs coach actually played D2

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Thanks Sparky, have to get the usual 'bash the former player as a coach' in there, so we keep those slots open for old fart know it alls, I guess.

I do not fell like shoveling all the snow so I am going to post this against my better judgment …

This thread started off OK, no one said anything bad about the HC. Your post started and demanded the more negative comments.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I do not fell like shoveling all the snow so I am going to post this against my better judgment …

This thread started off OK, no one said anything bad about the HC. Your post started and demanded the more negative comments.

I got started and said forget this, called a friend with a plow.

That's how we form teams, not by position, but by what your parents do. Right now we have openings for an electrician and a chiropractor...I mean daughters of.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My $0.02.....
1) Not all college softball players make good coaches.
2) If a good TB player really wants to play in college and is willing to go to where an opportunity exists, they can play college softball.
3) Partial scholarships create a lot of opportunities that would not be there otherwise and most teams have some "walk-ons".
4) There are a lot of college softball players who NEVER see the field.
5) If HS softball players and parents had the same choices they do in TB, there would be a lot of current HS coaches who would be unemployed.
6) 98.2% of successful HS coaches inherited good TB players.
7) An autistic monkey could coach a HS team with good TB players to a winning season.
8) 98.2% of softball recruiting occurs in TB and a player does not need to play HS ball to be recruited.
9) Play HS ball for fun, TB to get better.
10) If a TB player is paying for pitching or hitting lessons, a good coach will respect that and work to help the player using the mechanics the player is being taught. If a player is struggling the coach should address it directly with the instructor.
11) Good instructors know how their students are doing during the TB and HS season and makes adjustments.
12) Most softball players play TB 7-8 months of the year, HS 3 months of the year, and take 1-2 months off.
13) When my DD was a freshman I had a discussion with her HS coach basically letting him know that if he tried to change her pitching or hitting mechanics my DD would be playing volleyball for the rest of her high school career.
14) The approach in #13 works better if the HS coach is counting on your DD to be his ace pitcher.

Jun 1, 2013
I think #13 will work because it would be a small school. (No middle school ball, so 2a and below) if I remember correctly Boomers dd is a pitcher. If it is the school I think it is, they need a strong pitcher.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32