High School Politics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
While I certainly do not want to defend HS school coaches, I would like to point out a couple of things....
1) If a freshman starts in front of a junior or senior, there is a good chance the junior or senior will quit.
2) Juniors and Seniors are not eligible to play JV in most states.
3) Sometimes coaches have to make decisions of offense vs. defense unless their is a clearcut choice of one player who is better at both.
4) The offensively superior players parents thinks batting average is the most important stat.
5) The defensively superior players parents think a "gold glove" is more important than batting average.
6) High school softball teams must sell "rose colored" glasses at the concession stand, because everyone has a pair.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
6) High school softball teams must sell "rose colored" glasses at the concession stand, because everyone has a pair.

When the head HS coach and 3 of the 5 assistant coaches are daddy-coaches, rose-colored glasses should be handed out to all the parents. Why? Because high school daddy coaches are already wearing rose-colored glasses. Handing them out to parents, in these cases, is a sort of parity thing. LOL!

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2011
Amongst all of this, it should be acknowledged, that occasionally, a true leader comes along. A player who inspires her teammates and makes the game fun and exciting. Yes, that player also tends to a be a good talent, and quite often, a pitcher. However, that shouldn't stop the coach from seeing the leader that is hidden in the freshman ranks. What do you do with that girl?

May 13, 2012
Especially based on BS like "chemistry" which is double speak for politics and popularity.

I have to disagree on this. Had two different SS' s this yr and coach tried both. Neither was better than other in skill but team definitely played better with one them than the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 10, 2013
Right now our high school starts a freshman at c, ss, lf and rf. Sophomores at 1b, 2b and 3b. Jr at p and cf.

Sr are hurt or struggling. Coach is playing her best 9. If they want a chance to win...the coaches are doing the right thing in trying to win.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Amongst all of this, it should be acknowledged, that occasionally, a true leader comes along. A player who inspires her teammates and makes the game fun and exciting. Yes, that player also tends to a be a good talent, and quite often, a pitcher. However, that shouldn't stop the coach from seeing the leader that is hidden in the freshman ranks. What do you do with that girl?

Depends, what's her last name, where does she play TB?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
What you did last season along with $1 will get you a sodie pop.

Not sure I can agree to this 100%, but I also believe what you say has some truth in certain circumstances. What a player did last season, to me, has a great deal to do with if I decide to keep her next year or let her go. If I try to recruit a new player to join my team ( TB ), historical athletic performance weighs more, to me, than a glimmer of light over a two day tryout or a handful of practices. At the start of a new season I'll probably make a line up according to last year's performance, why wouldn't I? ( but always keeping an open eye )

As an example, you might know a young lady who is moving up from juco to a higher power based on................last year(s) performance. I does hold some merit, either that be a local org, school ball, travel, or college.

BTW, congrats.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2011
Last years performance definitely matters. Not so much the stats, but the work ethics. That will show a players desire and growth potential.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd