He's making her slap her thigh.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
UCLA's Selden:

20s88b8.gif

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Is the avoidance of glove slapping an absolute? That isn't what I conclude from looking at video.

My suspicion is that, while it hasn't been detrimental to various pitchers' success, it probably has been detrimental to others and has probably not helped any of them. Absolute? Probably not. Better off without it? Probably. Certainly not something I think people should go out of their way to teach. Like I said before, it's an audible timing mechanism for the hitter. Why would you do that unless you already have overwhelming stuff?

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Besides, Amy hasn't even made it clear whether this pitcher's slap comes at release, or if she's one of those girls who slaps herself on the backswing.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Besides, Amy hasn't even made it clear whether this pitcher's slap comes at release, or if she's one of those girls who slaps herself on the backswing.

Cow ... Amy made reference to agreeing with Hillhouse on this topic ... and Bill is fairly definitive of 'when' in the pitching motion.

It doesn't matter who is stating the information ...... supportive data for avoiding the glove slap as an absolute is welcome. If you support the avoidance of glove slapping as an absolute, then let's see the supportive data for that position.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
My suspicion is that, while it hasn't been detrimental to various pitchers' success, i

I agree. We can clearly see that some accomplished pitchers have the glove contacting their front thigh.

it probably has been detrimental to others and has probably not helped any of them.

I see no evidence to support that. I invite anyone to provide it.

Absolute? Probably not.

Correct. Video shows that it is a trait of some high-end pitchers, and not a trait of other high-end pitchers. Glove slapping is not an absolute, and neither is the avoidance of glove slapping an absolute. I welcome data to support a contrary view.

Better off without it? Probably.

Welcome any data that would support that position.

Certainly not something I think people should go out of their way to teach.

When people teach an adductive action, similar to what BM is shown doing earlier in this thread, then the result can easily be a glove slap. In other words, it can be a 'result' of other teachings.

Like I said before, it's an audible timing mechanism for the hitter. Why would you do that unless you already have overwhelming stuff?

This is not correct. The slap comes slightly after the 'release' ... and a good hitter times the pitcher's movement such that they are in their swing process by the time the pitcher releases the ball. Hearing an audible of the glove slap is too late to be helpful.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
This is not correct. The slap comes slightly after the 'release' ... and a good hitter times the pitcher's movement such that they are in their swing process by the time the pitcher releases the ball. Hearing an audible of the glove slap is too late to be helpful.

Don't tell me, tell Hillhouse: " And third, by slapping yourself, you're giving the batter another timing mechanism as to when to start their swing. So, why help the batter?"

Bill Hillhouse: House of Pitching Softball Academy

Hearing an audible of the glove slap is too late to be helpful.

Welcome any data that would support that position.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
I agree. We can clearly see that some accomplished pitchers have the glove contacting their front thigh.

Again, Hillhouse: "I saw a website recently from San Diego where they had clips of pitchers of MAJOR colleges pitching. It was hard to look at in some ways to see the pitchers who are considered the best of the best pitching yet seeing the mechanical flaws in their motions made me lay awake at night wondering, 'How good could they be if they could correct those things?'"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck