"Hello elbow"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Pitching and then, instead of relaxing and letting the arm fly, you stiffen and bring the right arm (right handed pitcher) up, bending it at the elbow, so that the palm of your hand is about face high.

BLB

May 19, 2008
Pitching and then, instead of relaxing and letting the arm fly, you stiffen and bring the right arm (right handed pitcher) up, bending it at the elbow, so that the palm of your hand is about face high.

Do you believe that a bend in the elbow on the follow-through is a indication of poor mechanics? Do you believe there is a correlation between hand orientation and elbow bend on the follow-through? In your opinion, does having the elbow finish close to or as high as the shoulder represent poor mechanics?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Do you believe that a bend in the elbow on the follow-through is a indication of poor mechanics?

No. The elbow should be relaxed, even during the arm circle. I show girls the difference between a relaxed elbow (that I want) and a locked elbow (perfectly straight.)

Do you believe there is a correlation between hand orientation and elbow bend on the follow-through?

Sorry, I am not understanding "hand orientation."

In your opinion, does having the elbow finish close to or as high as the shoulder represent poor mechanics?

It can, but that is not an absolute. For instance, Finch teaches it (hello elbow) and sometimes finishes that way, but - she internally rotates naturally and then, forces herself into the hello elbow finish. But, if the student is not internally rotating, has a locked elbow, is not whipping her arm through and finishes with a high elbow - she has a lot of problems with mechanics.

BLB

May 19, 2008
Hand orientation might not be a very good way to explain it. Would "Direction in which the palm is facing" make any sense to you? For example: palm towards face; palm towards 1st base; palm facing down.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Must be another of Rita's students. Straight arm, no snap, hello elbow follow through. All I can say is that when watching the WCWS I saw no one doing what this girl is demonstrating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy