Golfer's Elbow - Medial Epicondylitis

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2010
Daughter went through something similar. I would tend to think it is overuse. We did do a PRP treatment just as a precaution (They do cost some money). If it was my kid, I would probably recommend several weeks of rest from throwing. Let her play, but as a positional (low amount of throwing/DP) player. We had to end up taking off around 12 weeks from all throwing and playing (Mine would also have pain when hitting). Remember: Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I know you want to pitch her now, but you may risk a lot in the future.

Bill, yes I talked to our coach today and he is good with her at 1B for the rest of the season and will only put her back in to throw when we tell him she is good to go. This isn't the best time for her to be down, but we will deal with it to make sure she is 100% before risking additional injury. Thanks for the info on PRP.

Dec 4, 2010
I second Graston if you can find someone. Neat technique but I have never been able to find anyone in my area.

I've dealt with this myself from weightlifting and would recommend you find an Active Release Technique (ART) person in your area who specializes in sports injuries. You can go to Active Release Techniques: A.R.T. and search for licensed practitioners. ART is amazing with any type of soft tissue damage like golf/tennis elbow among other things and I can't say enough good things about it given how helpful it has been with me.

James, actually found some places locally on the ART site and a couple that do Graston so may have some options. Thanks for the information.

Dec 4, 2010
Wanted to give an update to DD's status. Just returned from a 2 day college camp that she was able to throw both days with no pain. After researching ART and Graston found a sports chiropractor that did both. Was able to get her into 2 sessions and did the exercises and stretches they recommended. My DD mentioned both times after leaving how good she felt from the treatment, where most of her PT sessions she was sore and tired. She threw a couple times last week and was able to throw more each time without pain.

I wasn't sure about her pitching at all during this camp and almost cancelled, but this is one of her "dream" schools so thought at worst she could participate just not pitch. I was pacing the whole time during her first pitching session, not nervous about the camp, but thinking that she was going to push it too hard and she would be starting all over. Driving to the hotel after the first day was the most excited/happy I have seen my DD in a long time.

FFS/barlowjames...thank you so much for providing your insight. I'm sure the regular PT and rest contributed to her healing, but this got her back in action much sooner that we expected.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Sballdad ... glad everything is working out well for your daughter.

For me, the Graston work also gave quick relief. I responded by immediately re-engaging in the activity that led me to need the Graston scrappings ... and from this I learned the importance of 'rest'. That is, I needed to take a short period of time off in addition to the Graston work.

Jun 12, 2015
Bumping this oldish thread because my DD has golfer's elbow. Our chiro said her ulna was out, we just went yesterday. We're going back today to see if the adjustment held. She said if it did, that's a really good sign. If it didn't, we may need more intervention. We have no tournaments this weekend thank goodness and we're not letting her practice pitching right now, or do much of anything with it. We're keeping her home from practice Sunday and icing several times a day.

We do have a tournament next weekend. The children's hospital in my area says for minor issues with the elbow, refrain from pitching and a lot of hard throwing but after a short rest period they can play infield positions and hit. She mostly plays first and sometimes short stop when not pitching. I'm trying to decide what we'll do next weekend. Some of it depends on what the next couple of chiro visits find. Some on if she experiences any more pain. She's 10 and she's obsessed with pitching. If we don't let her pitch in the tourney she'll be very unhappy, but obviously her not being injured or permanently damaged from overuse is the most important thing.

This is our first experience with any sort of sports injury. Input from those who have BTDT, particularly on our tournament next weekend, is greatly appreciated.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Bumping this oldish thread because my DD has golfer's elbow. Our chiro said her ulna was out, we just went yesterday. We're going back today to see if the adjustment held. She said if it did, that's a really good sign. If it didn't, we may need more intervention. We have no tournaments this weekend thank goodness and we're not letting her practice pitching right now, or do much of anything with it. We're keeping her home from practice Sunday and icing several times a day.

We do have a tournament next weekend. The children's hospital in my area says for minor issues with the elbow, refrain from pitching and a lot of hard throwing but after a short rest period they can play infield positions and hit. She mostly plays first and sometimes short stop when not pitching. I'm trying to decide what we'll do next weekend. Some of it depends on what the next couple of chiro visits find. Some on if she experiences any more pain. She's 10 and she's obsessed with pitching. If we don't let her pitch in the tourney she'll be very unhappy, but obviously her not being injured or permanently damaged from overuse is the most important thing.

This is our first experience with any sort of sports injury. Input from those who have BTDT, particularly on our tournament next weekend, is greatly appreciated.

Do not recall what they called it but my DD had the issue last year around this time. Some rest, ice, healthy does of steroids gave her relief. Tweaking her mechanics kept from returning. If your DD uses a computer while seated at a desk or a table you need to look at what she is doing, specifically the position of her pitching elbow.

Jun 12, 2015
It's definitely a mechanics issue. We haven't had regular lessons lately due to our coach's schedule and her mechanics have drifted. We know exactly what's causing it so I *think* we can prevent it from returning, once it's resolved.

Dec 4, 2010
grcs....sorry to hear about your daughter. My DD's was never an ulna problem as they checked for that and from what I have heard can be a much more serious condition. We went to an ortho dr, a couple different pt's, and ended up with a chiro that did graston and ART techniques that seemed to finally do the trick after 3-4 sessions with some moderate rest throughout the summer. All of them said that she could still pitch after taking a day off after a treatment as long as the pain did not exceed a 6 or 7 on a 1-10 scale. She would do her normal warmups and would work her way up to full speed. Initially she would hurt after 5-6 full speed pitches, so she would back down throw at 75% just to get in some reps and spin work. Would make sure to rest a day or two in between and focus on quality vs. quantity.

my $.02 for a 10 yr old would be to address the mechanics issue as soon as possible which may mean no tournaments or games for a while as old habits are very hard to break once ingrained. Other than some minor muscle pain from pushing yourself or throwing hard to gain speed, pitching should be a pain free experience in your shoulder and elbow. My DD went to the same PC for 6 years that didn't see her mechanical problem that was the ultimate cause of her elbow issue. This PC is the best in our area, but thru DFP reached out to a couple others on here that we started working with and feel we have her on a better path. Just wish we would have done this sooner as she still wants to revert to her old ways in the heat of games, so its a never ending process of re-training all those years of muscle memory.

Jun 12, 2015
Thanks, sballdad. We have a tournament this weekend but I very much doubt she'll pitch. It's feeling much better but is not 100%. She is going to her lesson today but will be working on her mechanics in slo-mo mostly. I don't think she should be throwing hard right now. I'm just hoping she can play 1st base this weekend. If she has to ride the bench and cheer all weekend instead of playing she's going to be a mess. But it is what it is. Better now than in the spring. Worst case, she misses 3 tournaments over the next month and has the winter to recover and work on her mechanics. Then hopefully in the spring we'll have it all fixed and she'll be good as new. We shall see.

She went to practice last night and did ok. We didn't let her throw at all so she helped the coaches during some drills, during other tossed the ball softly to a teammate to throw back in, or rolled it back in. When she was up to bat we made her bunt instead of swing since swinging hurt her arm last time she tried it (and as a new 10U, a little bunting practice never hurt anyway). We're trying for nearly full rest for that arm this week in the hopes she'll be able to play Saturday & Sunday. It's a huge tournament we've all been looking forward to.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez