Going the distance?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2013
I wasn't sure how to name this accurately. We moved up from 35 to 40 feet last spring and did ok with it. Pitched in about 6 games and made the distance most of the time. We are just spring rec. ball players, so I try and take it easy on us.

She has grown about 3 inches, which has helped, but about 50% of them are still what I call bouncing Bettys. They bounce right in front of the plate, missing the catcher by about a foot.

Any thoughts on what to practice to get that last foot of distance consistently.

I have been having her throw at around 43 feet at home and she gets it too me most of the time, but at practice on the field and mound, it is a struggle.

TIA,
GG

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
This could be a release, posture, or strength problem... but most likely is a combo of the three.
Start by posting a video of her for an accurate analysis.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Moving back to 40' also means graduating to a 12" ball which is heavier. It will take her awhile to find the new release point. In the mean time work on some long toss to make sure she is utilizing her legs. Any type of strengthening drills you can do will also help.

Aug 20, 2013
To clarify, we transitioned a year ago to 40 feet and a 12" ball, so maybe she just isn't big/strong enough still. I will work with long toss and throwing at 43 feet I guess until she gets there. Namaste.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Make it a game:

1) have her throw 5 pitches from 35 feet. If she gets all 5 to the plate, then she can take one step back.
2) If she does not throw all five to the plate, have her take one step forward.
3) Repeat until she is throwing at 43 feet or so.

Oct 22, 2009
Make it a game:

1) have her throw 5 pitches from 35 feet. If she gets all 5 to the plate, then she can take one step back.
2) If she does not throw all five to the plate, have her take one step forward.
3) Repeat until she is throwing at 43 feet or so.

I do a strike out game like this, called "Stay ahead".

Start at 40' --if it's a strike, move to 37' --because it's easier when you are ahead.
If it's a ball, move back 43'-because it's harder when you're behind.

2-3' up for every strike, and back for every ball. The more ahead you stay the easier it is, the more behind the harder it is to work back up.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
Gator, I remember seeing videos of your daughter a while back. From what I recall I would not think strength would be an issue for her. It would be great to see a video of her throwing now. I would be curious to see her drive and the speed of her whip. When she does throw it and the ball makes it to the catcher, does the ball have a path that has a noticeable arc? (most pitches do drop to some degree, but looking for more than usual) If so, I would be looking at her drive and speed of her whip. If its not that then without a video I would be guessing inconsistent release. I would agree in using what Sluggers and Jojo are suggesting.

Aug 20, 2013
Ok. Thanks. Being that we are just spring rec. ball players, we don't really want to get buried in a ton of analysis and since she is making it some of the time, release is most likely it. She knows what happens when she releases early and late, so I would like her to be able to figure out the the adjustment herself. Since she is only 10, we don't want this to be a serious analytic thing for her, so I like the game idea.

She has a pitching lesson tomorrow also so I will mention it as well.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Interesting. My DD is 10 and we use 11" ball and 35' distance. Is she playing up or do you have different rules in your area?

Jul 17, 2012
Long toss is a great tool for getting a pitcher that already has good mechanics to put a little more "Umph" into the drive and release. Long toss can be a bad thing for a young pitcher still developing her mechanics. It can teach them that to reach, they have to arc, therefore release out front. I'm not saying this is the case with your DD, just be aware of it. AND....anytime you incorporate long toss.....make it a progression... 3 pitches, 2 steps back, 3 pitches, 2 steps back...until she falls apart mechanically, then reverse it. 3 pitches, 2 steps in...... Another idea....eems pretty silly, but many don't use it....... the catcher can be her best friend here. If she's short/low, have your catcher elevate the target.
One disclaimer on my advice.... there's a lot of info missing here to give an accurate diagnosis. Is she bouncing laser beams in front of the catcher (throwing low) or just flat out not reaching due to all else being "right", but a lack of strength/velocity?

Throwing 40 and bouncing is a much different scenario than throwing 30 and bouncing. If it's 40 and bouncing, you can fix it. If it's 30 and bouncing, she should be using an 11" ball at 35 '

Just my $0.02 .... no change expected :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad